Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Insatiable Need for Speed!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Insatiable Need for Speed!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Barrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Insatiable Need for Speed!!!!!!!!!

Hey matchless, just read over the entire thread, way to go. I fly all electric planes and I know how to get them to 100mph, but lately Ive been spying the .049's at the hobby shop. Im curious, what kind of duration are you getting with your current setup? And is your plane self designed or kit? Plans anywhere?

Sorry if I missed this.

Thanks and best regards,
Barrett
Old 09-11-2003, 06:18 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No prob Barrett. This project has been a lot of fun.

To answer your questions....

I am getting 2-4 minute flights on the current setup, which is plenty. This plane really does look like a blinding streak in the air.

I have the plans posted on my website. You are welcome to download them and build from them. If you have built an electric with a thin foam core wing, you should have no problem building from the plans.

If you want to get a jumpstart on your efforts, get a VA engine from Larry Driskill and start from there. I plan to try one as soon as the pocketbook permits. Of course I will have to design a new header, but that will be yet another fun project!

If you enjoyed this thread, you may want to do a search for 'Caliente' and read the couple of other threads that I started on this plane. I am now just over 120mph with the SuperCaliente. I plan to resume my speed trialing when the cool air begins to be prevalent in the mornings again. Time to try a new batch of fuel too
Old 09-16-2003, 09:52 AM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

AJC,

I sent you a PM, but I am not sure it worked....

I have been thinking of building a plane for awhile that would be great if I used K&S's aluminum tubing... but how do you weld it?

I have heard of pastes and other methods but not for awhile. Do you have any suggestions / techniques?

Your reply to Jeremy with that aluminum casting filler got me thinking...

Thanks!
Brian (av8rosdt)
Old 11-16-2003, 05:53 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, didnt get the PM..

Aluminum tubing, you could try and use some of the aluminum solder... what exactly do you want to do?

AJC
Old 11-16-2003, 07:05 PM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

I know I am not gonna try the modification but just reading about it got me all excited! A 1/2A going over 120 mph........I would love to see that!!
Any chances of a video?
Old 11-16-2003, 09:08 PM
matchlessaero

Cappio, this thing really is fun.

If you like sound, go to my webpage and check out the Caliente page. When you open the page, you should hear the sound of one of the highspeed runs I did. If you like video, shoot me an email with your addy, and I will email you a video of the SuperCaliente
Old 11-16-2003, 09:15 PM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

How do I get to the webpage?
Old 11-18-2003, 04:52 PM
OMPEdgeFlyer

I have been following this thread and think its awesome. I have 2 suggestions, but since I am not a motor expert by any means, it is just an idea based on replys and conserns I have read in all these amazing posts. I may be totally off whack and show it here, but one just never knows right, and after all the only dumb thing said is that not said, so here goes.

1. I heard ppl suggest the mouse can header and was thinking that the little bottles of deicer for the key locks might be the right size for this.

2. A few concerns with aerodynamics and just needed it to have cleaner lines to go faster IF the new pipe wasnt the answer. Well, how about doing it anyway, after all, if you can get faster with cleaner lines as well as the better pipe isnt that the answer in the whole sceme of things? I suggest one of you amazing plane guys make a cylinder so the pipe can be rear exhasust!!

It looks like the original pipe covers one of the 2 exhaust ports anyway, so why not make the exhasust ports come out the rear? Not only will it be cleaner it should also help rpm's some, even if a little, due to the fact the exhaust runner will be straighter. is it possible to just turn the jusg so it does line up that way, or do the ports need to be where they are? I know it would be alot of work, but I am sure there would atleast be some benifit to this, or am i just blue skying here??

Either way, thought an idea from a dummy when it comes to engines might actually be the right thing. Seems when you know so little the easiest answers to you may be somewhat right. What do you all think??
Old 11-18-2003, 07:54 PM
matchlessaero

Thanks for the input OMP.

You guessed my next step regarding using a rear exhaust engine to clean up the overall lines(great minds think alike..?)......
Since the plane in this thread was built, flown and eventually destroyed, I built SuperCaliente. The 'Super' version had improved aerodynamics on the rest of the airframe. I also redesigned the nose to take a VA .049 with a rear exhaust header and one of my custom pipes. I know the VA responds to the pipe well from experiments done by AJCoholic (who machined my header-thanks again AJ).

The eventual goal I am shooting for is a half-A with a fully enclosed engine and pipe (rear exhaust of course) and the SuperCaliente basic airframe. SuperCaliente has gone just short of 121mph, and I believe the rear exhaust/ fully enclosed could possibly break 125-130.

As for the DeIcer cans, AJ and I had discussed using them at one point, and I believe I remember a post or two by others in the forum who have successfully made them work. While not as optimized as the handmade pipes I am running, they are a heckuva lot easier to get.....

Cappio, I am trying to get the video to upload to my site, but I am not having a lot of luck.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68577.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	75726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19893.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	75727  
Old 11-18-2003, 08:14 PM
OMPEdgeFlyer

One other thing that may or may not help, but I mention it because of a kid we all knew when we was younger did this to help his old B&S powered 3 1/2 horse mini bike keep up with us who used a 5 horse.

How about a air scope! It would take alot of test and trial to get the needle set rigt for flying and unloaded, but I too think it would be worth it.

Back to the mini bike story. I knew a kid who took a folgers coffee jar and made a scope for his intake on the 3 1/2 briggs. We lived next to a drag strip and talked them into letting us run out mini bikes on the 8th mile. After adding the coffee can and playing with the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb, he managed to gain .2 of a second on his time. lol still was about half a second behind us with 5 and 6 horse bikes but a neat idea either way
Old 11-25-2019, 03:58 AM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Found this old thread, was a enjoyable read so lets update it with what happen in 2019!
Stock engine no mods just add on parts: Tarno RC carb, turbo plug adapter. manifold / header and tuned pipe.

Aug 11, 2019

Nano X Cox TD .051 3rd Flight Profi .8cc Tuned Pipe Cut APC 4.3 x 5.5N / Last two passes are the best peak: 28,181 rpm / 147 mph Prop Pitch Speed
Now the fastest TD .051 3ch plane on You Tube - bested Nano III now in 2nd using a all stock Cox .050 RC engine see 2nd vid.
Best static 21,962 rpm / 7.1oz thrust / 115 mph pitch speed
Pipe at MRP 7.5" .144 hp - 107.4w / 7.1 oz thrust / stock piston /cylinder and crank! 25" span 75 sq. in. wing / 8.2oz RTF / Temp 87F. dry, winds 7 - 12 mph.
25% nitro / 20% oil / SPI engine / no pressure tap. Kamtechnik (by Greg) turbo plug adapter & prototype manifold / header. O.S. 7 plug. No mods to cylinder, piston or crank.
Those were the only add odd aftermarket parts and no high nitro just off the shelf 1/2A Fitz fuel! This is the fastest Cox 1/2A RC 3 ch plane on youtube due to many attributes all
contributing to the top speed thru design / size / weight / power and quality Kamtechnik components.

Feb 10, 2018

NANO III / 9oz RTF / 28" span 86 sq. in wing
Cut APC 4.22x5.5N Best pass 26,647 rpm / 139 mph prop pitch speed
Static 20,370 rpm / .106hp / 79w / 106 mph PS / 6oz thrust 1oz fuel
25% nitro / 20 castor With speed, the sound follows behind the plane neat effect.
Checked all passes found the best per posted vid: Per Audio RPM Gauge 26,647
Per Prop Calc 139 mph Per Doppler Wav. Scope software 136 mph / 219 Kp/h
Link to speed thread on RCG
My handle there is: 1/2A Nut
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...

Perhaps one day with improved RC gear and build materials the next level can be achieved.
If so would be good for the next guy to update this thread again.
Took 16 yrs. to update this thread. I honor the achievements of the builder and the friend
(Andrew) that helped by making the header pipe!

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 11-25-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:32 AM
Pond Skipper

Youtube links are not staying on the pages after site changes so will post split links

youtube
watch?v=DXzPWEFNTHE

youtube
watch?v=UP3I1dvxwNQ
Old 01-01-2020, 08:24 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well after a 10 year hiatus I am dusting off the VA powered Pee Wee Penetrator!

Old 01-01-2020, 01:44 PM
Pond Skipper

Nice Rob, what size prop did you end up with. Man you got to get some modern day HD vid on youtube there is no IC vids other
than a TD .10 version from Tee Bee with a stock prop a historical reference has been saved for history. One for the 1/2A class
would be most worthy.

Found this old thread no vid there.

JMGlasscraft Penetrator

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 01-02-2020 at 03:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:18 AM
RocketRob

Hello Pond Skipper,
I am dusting her off and sorting out where I left off after my hiatus. I was running a 4.2x4 but had some trouble getting on pipe, but the times when it would - hold on to your hat. Thinking to try a bit less pitch to get on pipe easier. I wish John was still making kits - some of the lightest glass work and nicest kits I have ever seen - especially considering the era!

Last edited by RocketRob; 01-03-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:14 AM
Pond Skipper

Back cut on the prop has been my solution to keep the speed up and pop on the pipe.
As it is a 4 pitch has limited top speed. I have hit 161 mph pitch speed with a 4.5 but you need 37.7k to pull that off.
TD has run 147 PS with a 5.5P only because of the back cut and did it at a safe rpm.
The APC props are best for mods. The APC E carbon props can be simply cut with sharp scissors.
Given the engine type you want 33k unload with a 4.3x6.25N (N for narrow aka back cut)

Note prop on the bottom did 4.3x5.5 did 147 PS with the TD / have not tested the other prop weight / spinner mass kept low is key.
The thinner E props is another plenty strong when reduced in dia. and cord width. / some other examples.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:42 AM
RocketRob

Sweet! finally able to watch your videos. Thank you greatly for the prop information! I love your plane and engine. Can you post some close up photos of each! Great field BTW!
Thank you!

Last edited by RocketRob; 01-04-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:58 PM
Pond Skipper

Yes can do and field size is a blessing I eat up sky fast at the speeds reached by learning to improve the props a missing piece of the puzzle for
so many folks trying to fly faster on low pitched props. Rob if you log on RCU I have a speed thread in the 1/2A forum see tons of information
in the pursuit of fast Cox powered planes .01 thru .09 I use it to document ideas and build designs with full disclosure. Screen name "1/2A Nut"
I also show how to mod .05,.06 and .07 car engines to aero use with results, engines up to .15 have been discussed. Micro hard tanks much
more regarding all small speed efforts. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5-Size-Engines

It would be easy to use E power and jump right up into the numbers but where is the challenge in that. It's why I took on the simplistic Cox engine that
and fond memories as a youngster and young man using them for projects for jumping into cased engines all the way up to 1/3rd size gasoline.
Funny it's the wee ones that allow more room for builds and just as much thrill in the air.

Here are the results all with video to document the efforts.
Note the prop pitch used.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:07 PM
Pond Skipper

Today HD sport cameras are cheap 20MP 4K for well under a 100 bucks that and a ball cap and clip on mount
You can save your projects to vid for all to see and enjoy most of all for you to appreciate later down the road
and to improve on the results. Today we can use our cell phones to view the camera view on the ball cap adjust
as needed / start and stop recording. Main thing never rely on someone to follow and record for you ever again!
Point of view vid is as good as it gets.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:36 PM
RocketRob

Wow! just Wow! Great information here - who would have thought - the little Cox that could.
I am engrossed reading your rolled fuse thread currently. Lot to catch up on! I may have to actually use my Hero4 recorder sitting on my desk!
Thank you!
Old 01-05-2020, 05:44 PM
RocketRob

Default JM Glasscraft Micro Estrelita

Here is my little .010 after sitting on the shelf for 5-6 or 10 years

​​​​​​​
Old 01-05-2020, 11:59 PM
Pond Skipper

Yes must try to record the IC versions of the JMG projects save for the safe keeping on youtube.
I would hate to see Johns creations not get their recondition so many folks flew them in the past.
A micro hauling with the engine singing is the only way to go.

Cleaned up nice Rob!
I bag all my planes when not in use clear trash bags different sizes to choose from.
The batteries are always removed or at least unplugged from the system. I have
killed a few packs by actually knocking the on switch so always unplug them.

Thank you Rob I have many idea's how to go faster as time allows the wee engines have taught me quite a bit on what it
takes to max out their power and plane sizes to minimize load / drag. I have been using ply for fuselages for many years
strong able to smack the ground at full throttle. .010 thru .09. The ply rolled is old in design now but does make for a unique
fuselage. Did a Lil Speedy, Scorch I and II using that trick.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:08 PM
Pond Skipper

I just bought this the other day being shipped out of Canada, after I get my hands on it will decide
engine choice. Not sure how strong the fuselage is.

bought it from Leo he hangs out on RCG pylon forum. Currently building a Lil Tony .15

Old 01-12-2020, 06:08 PM
RocketRob

Nice catch! Can't wait to see how you spec it out!
It's screaming for a little VA!
Layup is extremely light. We even put some carbon tow across the wing saddle for the .010s.
The following users liked this post:
fredvon4 (01-14-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 02:00 AM
Pond Skipper

What is your all up flying weight with the VA .049 engine and pipe?
Yes very lucky to source one they do pop up still in the box but very rare.
146 shipped. I figured the layup will be thin, I have some carbon on tap
ready for it. I have purpose built speed plans so to preserve this one
will choose a low weight set up to keep the tumbling loads off the frame
when it lands. My field is a mix of grass, dirt and rocks depending on
time of year. I will have to keep an eye on grassy area's for landing it.
A pristine runway for landing is not in the picture but thinking 4ch all
the same for some acro fun. Knife edges passes and tumbling will
be fun to do with it. Video of some clean up close passes will be the
goal there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.