Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

TD 0.051 trouble...HELP ME

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

TD 0.051 trouble...HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 03:25 PM
baco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TD 0.051 trouble...HELP ME

Hi

I´m flying a Little Plank with a Cox 0.051 buyed 10 years ago almost new. I used this engine just a few times years ago. The little plank is a flying wing moto-glider with engine in pusher configuration.
My problem is that the engine performs pretty well...but for no more than 30 seconds, the the engine begin to lost rpm suddenly. After the flight, the cox glow plug is very loose, no matter how strong I adjust it before.
The bronze ring between the top of the cylinder and the bottom of the glow plug is not in this engine...why ? who knows, the person who sell me lost it.
I suppose this is the problem, buy where to buy this bronze ring, or replace it whit a close similar one...? Any suggestion ?
Thanks
Daniel
Old 02-26-2006, 03:53 PM
SGC

Default RE: TD 0.051 trouble...HELP ME

Larry @ Kitting it Together sells head shims( head gaskets) email:- [email protected]
His online shop is :- https://ssl10.mysecureserver.com/kit...dex_store.html
Hes a great guy to deal with.
Stewart
Old 02-26-2006, 04:39 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a way to cut your own out of copper sheet using some sort of tool called a circle cutter? I don't have that tool.. but others here do and may be able to describe how to make it. Also I think i heard of people cutting the head gasket using sharpened brass tubing, but if you have access to a hobby shop with such a selection of brass tubing to have both inside and outside diameters for the cox gasket, they probably have the cox gaskets anyway.
AP and Norvel head gaskets may work in the cox as well, since the cox head will fit the Norvel and AP engines.
http://www.globalhobby.com/public/gallery/212427.asp

for example..
Old 02-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Danel,
Let me know if you can't find one local- I'm sure I have a few extra downstairs I could mail you if you need.
PM me if you need Dale
Old 02-26-2006, 09:53 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Daniel, can you get the glow heads down in Argentina? If so then new head gaskets come with each glow head. If not then you're going to need one eventually. If the head is coming loose all the time then that is your problem. As soon as it comes loose you will loose your compression ratio and it'll run rough and quit.

Let us know if you can't get any locally or through mail order. If that is the case I'm sure one of us could send you a couple of new glow heads.

The Lil Plank is a classic! I still remember looking the plan over and thinking about making one. Perhaps you could tell us what your Lil Plank flies like?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you used to be able to buy these gaskets directly from cox. I'm sure that Estes will also sell them to you. If that fails then Norvel handled by sig sells packs of head gaskets that also fit the Cox motors. These can be found under parts for the Norvel motors on the SIG site.
Dennis
Old 03-01-2006, 08:06 PM
baco

Thanks to all
Yes, here in Argentina, the biggest problem is that Cox engines (as many others) are without any reseller. What happend, money crash of our country, crisis and Internet helping people to find easily all what we need put in trouble the resellers.
I´ve two very tired 0.049, and two more spare glows....but believe me, none gasket !
Schu offered by PM a gasket, and he´s sending me by mail.
The little plank is......temperamental, flies great (more than 1 hour) if it is a thermal day...but if not, I prefere to waste my time flying anoter thing. Here are bigger mountains but no areas for slope soaring, at least near my city (Mendoza).
Thank to all for your answers !
Daniel