Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

EARLY RC MODELS SOLD!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

EARLY RC MODELS SOLD!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:32 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EARLY RC MODELS SOLD!!

Well guys, just a note to tell you that Early RC Models has been sold to Wing Manufacturing in Galesburg, Michigan, www.wingmfg.com. Dan and Billie Gipe, owners of Wing Mfg and I are all very excited about the deal. I will still be re-issuing/designing the early RC designs and Dan will be doing all the manufacturing and distribution. Dan also has a grand collection of fuselage molds of vintage pattern models of the 60's and 70's as well as several scale designs that are VRCS approved and I will be assisting him with these along with the sport models of that era. Does anyone remember the, Daddy Rabbit, Banshee, Cure Air, Cutlass, Phoenix 5, Trouble Maker, Nutcracker, Quick Fli III and Eyeball to name a few!!

Wing Manufacturing is known for their high quality precision scale models like the B25, F6F Hellcat and B17 as well as many other popular WWII designs. I have visited Wing Manufacturing's facility and they are quite capable of handling the additional load and their quality is second to none. Dan and Billie are adamant about producing a high quality kit for a reasonable price.

Best of all, they are just good down home fun loving people who have a passion for our hobby. Please join me in welcoming Dan and Billie to the Vintage RC Society group and pray for their continuing success in this endeavor! They will be taking Early RC Models to Toledo this year so if you are going, please stop by their booth and say hello. I also have been persuading Dan and Billie to come down to the Mid-South VRCS Fly-In this May to meet all of you!

So as of today please place all your new orders with Wing Mfg at 269-665-9630. We are in the transferring stages of equipment and such but Dan hopes to be up and running ASAP. So if you are still wanting that model ready for one of the VRCS reunions give them a call so you can be first in line for the next run of kits. I am sure they will have more Falcon 56’s ready soon!

Thanks again for all of your support and keep an eye out on the website for new designs coming available!!

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 03-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EARLY RC MODELS SOLD!!

Bob,

Glad to hear of your good news. I about fell over when I read your post in the Vintage forum that you were looking to sell the company. I hope everything works out well for you and the new owners.

Later,
Tim
Old 03-01-2006, 11:52 AM
hfenn

Congratulations Bob. What are you going to do with your free time?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:06 PM
BobHH

What will I do now.....Fly!, Fly! Fly! Crash! Fly!

I will still be designing model kits and such but just will not be manufacturing or distributing. There are still several 1/2A designs out there I plan on working on and Dan at Wing Mfg wants to kits them so its the best of 2 worlds. I want to branch out a bit for some modern 1/2A stuff like my Stinger delta, Ultimate Bipe and many more designs that are partially through the process. Even thinking of doing some 1/2A Combat stuff also.

What I really look forward to is getting back to flying and having fun with the Carolina 1/2A Crew again!! I want to enjoy the hobby a bit more!!!!

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
Old 03-01-2006, 04:16 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Bob... You know... I'm gonna bug you 'bout this.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 03-01-2006, 11:36 PM
flyswatter

Bob:
Congradulations - may this deal result in being all that you wish for - especially the flying part!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Bob,

If you're happy, I'm happy for you. Er, did you mention 1/2A combat?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:05 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Bob, congrats man, I know you'll be glad to get back to more flying, you should have the new owners kit the rivets that you re-designed , without all the cowling cheeks and , course I dont need one nyark,nyark,nyark good gosh its March already!!! May 6th is just around the corner ya'll....Rog
Old 03-02-2006, 11:03 AM
BobHH

Well Raymond, you are an experienced combat flier. Think we could come up with an inexpensive design to possible use the reed valve Cox or such to do some combat flying? I was thinking in the realm of the high impact light weight foam wing design something like a controline combat wing type. Years ago we flew (attempted to fly) combat with modified Voodoos with 2 channels, controline15 or 19 engines, increased fin height and added ailerons. Flew quite wild! My design has constant core wing, rubber banded on motor and fuel tank mount. With the micro gear mounted in the foam radio damage would be minimum as well as a "popoff" engine mount when spot landing on the nose!!! Just an idea! What do you think?

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
Old 03-02-2006, 11:33 AM
ptulmer

Yes!!! You two oughta put your heads together and come up with a kick-butt reedie combat plane! I've got a partially built combat plane that should be ready for the next fly-in. Ace taper cores, polyu and ripstop nylon for covering and the control surfaces (except the fin) weigh in at 3.5oz. Not bad!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Bob and Patrick,

I love those .15 - .25 sized plank flying wings that were popular some years ago. But they are just not up to todays "open" or SSC standards (mores the shame). So I'm not thinking of scaled-down versions for 1/2A.

But a scaled down modern "open" design I think would be viable. Of course everyone has their own ideas but my notes include:

1/2A Combat notes

• Maybe flying wing configuration – maybe elevator version. [Elevator may provide more stability for little airplane in wind or trailing streamer(s)]
• Tapered, hot-wired, foam wings with straight LE
• Wing span of 42 and 48-inches (try both)
• Wing rubber-banded on with split dowel locaters
• Make provision for quick detachable tip plates for testing (I’m not sure of their effectiveness but I’ve seen ‘em snag streamers)
• “Profile” fuselage with elevator and throttle servos out in the breeze
• Engine on one side, fuel tank on the other
• Receiver and battery in a hatch
• Large, fixed rudder
• Norvel .061 power. Need two-ounce tanks for decent duration

I guess reed valve power would require a re-think - but as you know I don't think much of reed valve engines - they wouldn't give you a long enough match if you had to wait for at least five guys to get theirs running and launched. Think about it. I will listen politely to opposing views - but I won't be convinced.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:13 PM
ptulmer

Raymond, you need some surestarts! Mine are far, far easier to run than a Norvel. I don't think you need to "rethink" anything except the power source. Keep it light enough to fly like the .061 powered aircraft and you can compete. Two ounces would be good for about 1/2 an hour! Neck ache!!! The Ace tapered cores are nice, but a good hotwired core could be lighter and give a tad bit more span. 42" sounds like the magic number, but who knows! Without testing, nobody. If you really want to do something different, just engineer it to be cheap as hell. At any rate, the reedie combat plane is what appealed to me, but what did you expect?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Patrick,

We shall speak more of this tomorrow! Woo hoo! I'm pumped.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:39 PM
propbuster

Bob, Will he be selling fiberglass fuselages for the old pattern planes? And what does this sale to to my vast stock holdings?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:14 PM
flyinrog

Patrick your the only person that has trouble with norvels!! Well, maybe Dickeybird...Hey Bob I just realized that you can go to swap meets and wander around now!!!,,Raymond I vote norvel too....Rog
Old 03-02-2006, 09:18 PM
ptulmer

I don't have trouble with Norvels! I just have less with the Surestart's. Tankmount engines like the Blackwidow, now that's a different story!