Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Air Hogs Aero Ace - Best $30 Ever!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Air Hogs Aero Ace - Best $30 Ever!

Old 03-01-2006, 04:34 PM
brocja01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Hogs Aero Ace - Best $30 Ever!

Hey all, I thought you 1/2a'ers would would like this. I just went out and purchased the Air Hogs Aero Ace from Target. What a great little plane. A bunch of co-workers and I got the planes and spend lunch hours flying them down-stairs in a empty space we have. For $30 you can't go wrong.

So if you have the office blues, and it is nice outside, stop at Target, pick up the the plane and some AA batteries and you'll have a lunch hour of fun.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:38 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace - Best $30 Ever!

Yup...I agree...

Check out the threads in the Electric Micro section...there is alot of talk about them in there.
Including Modifications and tips on how to get max performance out of this little plane.

Enjoy
Old 03-01-2006, 06:54 PM
propbuster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need this modification! It will give you steering control at no throttle. It makes a world of difference. Check out post #72. Diodes are $1.59 at Radio Shack and it takes ten minutes to do. Oh, take off the throttle spring too. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9&page=5&pp=15
Old 03-30-2006, 10:48 AM
flyinrog

I got one of these today at wallyworld but there up to $40 now what with you guys tellin everybody how much fun they are!! Hey its for 8+ years[X(] maybe I can fly this thing
havent even opened the box yet.wonder if it'll hold a throttled peewee?..yet one more thing I swore I'd never do ...picked up a cell phone this morning ,,you know just for the flying field in case I loose a thumbnail in a prop[]...Rog
Old 03-30-2006, 11:07 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Walmart has always been 10 dollars higher on the aa than target/TRU/kmart.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:23 AM
flyinrog

target had the air hog stuff but not the aero ace, TRU? dont know that one, and kmart please.. their toy section goes from matchbox cars to bike tires to golf clubs in a 30 foot section, with car cleaning stuff and baby clothes on either side..Ijust opened this thing ,,wow! 8.75 wingspan,,9.25 nose to tail and 19 grams,,have to pick up some batteries tonight...I never think of that kind of stuff when I'm actually at a store!?..looks like a blast,,going to test my reedy racer tomorrow......5 weeks ya'll!!....Rog
Old 03-30-2006, 12:13 PM
mclintock

Maybe I should have typed the 'R' backwards.. Now you know? (toysrus)
I agree about kmart. I will never to to kmart again, three times I tried to shop there, and three times there was effectively no check out available. Only one register open, and that teller had to go to the fabrics to check the price on a spool of thread- dead eyed mouth breathers with long fingernails who hate customers. Die kmart!

So like you I had to buy one of my aero ace from walmart, but still what a deal!! The alk batteries last just fine in the aero ace, as do nimh.

I just tried to fly in my back yard and no way, 60 by 30 feet is not enough with wind..
Old 03-30-2006, 12:24 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: mclintock

Maybe I should have typed the 'R' backwards.. Now you know? (toysrus)
I agree about kmart. I will never to to kmart again, three times I tried to shop there, and three times there was effectively no check out available. Only one register open, and that teller had to go to the fabrics to check the price on a spool of thread- dead eyed mouth breathers with long fingernails who hate customers. Die kmart!

So like you I had to buy one of my aero ace from walmart, but still what a deal!! The alk batteries last just fine in the aero ace, as do nimh.

I just tried to fly in my back yard and no way, 60 by 30 feet is not enough with wind..
HAHAHA actually I thought maybe it was TrueValue Hardware,,we dont have a Toys'r'us here "60 x 30 30 isnt enough? I thought it only had a ~40 foot range?.."dead eyed mouth breathers..dude thats cold,,next time a cashiers asks the mandatory "how are you today"? you give em a big ole smile and say "just peachy and you"?...Rog
Old 03-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Dudes,

I got mine at Targette for $30. I was at Wal-more yesterday and they had 'em for $40. Gosh I guess their TV commercials could be misleading?

Anyway, I've been flying mine a lot (mostly in the morning when I venture out to get the newspaper). It took lots of nose weight but now holds height at about half throttle. The only mod so far is to detach the throttle spring. Very soon I'm going to get some diodes so I can steer with the throttle shut down (as per the aforementioned "other" site).

I was a little late getting out this morning, the sun had been up for a while, and I swear I picked up some thermal activity. Cool. At the Flying Tigers field last week it was windy and I was able to get in a real loop (OK, it was mainly luck but I have a witness). I practiced my landing tumbles with it then too - just to test its resilience you know.

The bottom line is that I love this little bugger! I only wish I knew how/where to get extra batteries so I could keep it going until the morning breezes pick up.

And only three channels is a bummer - I had thought about getting another one for two reasons; one, to get that extra flight time. Two, to take them both to the field for challenging my "peers" to race/combat.

Rog, mine's on channel "B" if you're on another channel - I hearby challenge you to a "duel" in May, thump (that's the sound of my gauntlet hitting the ground). Goes for anyone else who dares to take up my invitation. Woo hoo.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:16 PM
propbuster

Raymond, You have to do the diode mod, it makes a world of difference! If it's getting to high or the wind picks up, shut down the throttle let her glide, and steer her back home. I also like giving it a side arm toss for a barrel roll take off. I'll bring mine to the Fun Fly, I'm on channel "C".
Old 03-30-2006, 06:23 PM
flyinrog

I am the orange bird on "C" too..but I'm sure we can work something out!!...Rog,,wheres a link to these "mods" dudes?..
Old 04-02-2006, 03:28 PM
flyinrog

All I seem to be able to do is fly in small left circles, bent everything I can find to try and fix it right rudder, right elevator tab up, left elevator tab down...still left circles??...Rog
Old 04-02-2006, 06:12 PM
mclintock

Make sure your trim knob is centered, mess around with the trim knob while the plane is in your hand and see if you can get the motors to the same pitch (speed). Also one of mine had one of the lower wings stuck on crooked. The lower wings are for training anyway, you'll be pulling the lower wings off soon.

The motors are held on by double stick tape, maybe one is mis-aligned? I've read of the tail straw being in crooked too.

If all else fails, walmart exchange! Don't give up, these planes are awesome!!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Capital Woo, Capital Hoo!!!

This little dude is a hoot of the first water! I took mine (on frequency "B") to the field today to show it to the guys who were flying the "real" models. It was a little windy and I got blown out of range on my first flight, but after I got used to it the wind only made hovering easier.

We took turns catching the little stinker (I was afraid that a couple of our more heavy-handed, 1/4 scale pilots would crush it but it came out with narry a scratch). I lost track of how many times I charged it but I am amazed at how quickly it does charge back up. What a bargain.

Rog, I had trouble trimming mine too. After a couple of tries under "normal" conditions I finally went out early in the morning when it was dead calm. What worked for me was half throttle and SLOWLY twisting the trim know as it flew away from me. Oh, come to think of it I did have a little twist in the lower, left wing panel. That just took a little tweak to line up.

I don't think I'll be taking the bottom wing off. I like the way it flies now. And after practicing all those catches and hovering I'm not sure I'll keep the diode change - but I will give it a try first (I can always snip the leads off - right?)

Anyway, I ordered an extra battery but I'm not sure that was a smart move on my part since the transmitter would be tied up charging it and therefore I couldn't fly Anyway (duh). Maybe some kind person will tell me how to use my Triton charger on that tiny Li-po cell - (hint, hint).

The bottom line Rog is on;t give up you WILL have a blast with the little critter.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:08 PM
flyinrog

Thanks Clint ,,I'll keep trying all your suggestions ..sent you a PM too..I know its a blast, even the 30 second left circles are fun, just need more control...Rog
Old 04-02-2006, 09:16 PM
mclintock

If you want to keep the bottom wing on, you'll need to then buy another so you can pull the bottom wing off, because it really is awesome with the bottom wing off, especially in the wind.. It climbs faster and glides like a real plane instead of like a coffee cup. I too was resistant to mutilate the little beast until I was in a situation where every single flight it blew away in the wind, so I gave the single wing a shot. The difference is like riding a racing bike compared to a row boat.
But it will fly much slower and indoors with the bottom wing on.

Raymond, where did you get another battery? How can it be used? Cut the foam open?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Clint,

I found the reference to this site <http://www.aeroacemods.com/aam/aeroace/> on the other thread here that points to the Spirng and Diode modifications.

I haven't gotten the battery yet and so I haven't decided how I will use it yet. But 'it is said' that you can split the fuselage down the middle along the visible seam because the two sides are joined with a re-stickable glue that sounded like double-sided tape - or something similar. I did wiggle a knife blade into the seam a little to see if it might work but I didn't pull it all the way apart yet. 'It is said' that there is room to move the battery forward almost half an inch so you can minimize the amount of nose weight needed - oh yeah, Rog did you add some nose weight? Mine has blob of purple clay about the size of my finger tip on the nose.

So I'm thinking that maybe I could use JST connectors for the battery connections since the slight added extra weight would be in the right place (nose). I'll have to see what it looks like when I get it.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:07 AM
propbuster

I saw an Aero Ace with a battery mod up on Ebay last week. Looks like the guy cut a slot in the top of the fuse where another battery could be swapped out. I haven't cut mine in half to see what's inside yet!
Old 04-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Here's a photo of my Aero Ace after having safely landed on top of my hat! Yes, after many hours of careful and diligent practice I have mastered that art of AA carrier landings.

OK, I lied and I just set the little beast on the hat for a size comparison. But its still cute ain't it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65086.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	438340  
Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
flyinrog

OK I have modded this thing to turn right with everything I know, the adj knob did help (thanks Clint) and I taped a penny and dime on the nose ,well that was too much, so I took the penny off,,well with all the mods..that helped but it is still a controlled descent at best, my longest flight is the length of my house from eye level to the ground 70 feet..I did find that about the 4th position on the throttle kept it from pitching up into uncontrolled movement,,but even so as soon as I was "flying" the plane and put on the rest of the throttle it would just go lower until it hits grass...I can see where the throttle mod would help alot here if everything else was right...it does seem like it would be a blast if everything was working right!...Rog..I still have the receipt and may take it back..
Old 04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
propbuster

Rog, Return it to the store you got it from for another one. I've heard of people getting the occasional misaligned or bad one. I burned out the right side motor on my first one and after "losing" it's prop in my flight box, Wally World gladly exchanged mine with no hassel.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:04 PM
flyinrog

Yeah Prop I think thats gonna be the plan for friday morning...Rog
Old 04-05-2006, 09:04 PM
phillipmorris

Alert The Media Prior To Launch:

Just in moments ago, first night flying with Air Mods High intensity Lights, calm and was easy to keep track of, lights up like a christmas tree and extremely bright, flew about 6 minutes and ended up catching it, upon return to my car greeted by local Police Department, some kind of bogus reports, anyway one of them couldn't get enough info on it, perhaps some use for them in their dept...

Gads...<>. Guess you have to alert the media prior to launch ..WARREN .<>..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39681.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	439662  
Old 04-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Sneasle

omg.. that is hilarious
Old 04-06-2006, 03:57 AM
flyinrog

Prop and Ray since I'm returning it I will try and get an "A" channel..funny stuff pm..reminds me of long ago when we would use scotch tape. drinking straws, dry cleaner plastic bags, and half a dozen birthday candles and make a cool UFO out of it....Rog

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.