Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

There is a new 1/2 A forum

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

There is a new 1/2 A forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM
mr_leffe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There is a new 1/2 A forum

There is a new 1/2 forum.. announcement appeared on this forum for a couple of minutes a few days ago then the moderators must have taken evasive action and removed the post. Looks like it could do with a few members.

----link removed as per RCU site rules----
Old 03-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: There is a new 1/2 A forum

Wow, those forum names look familiar. Right down to the descriptions.

Great to have another 1/2A forum.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:14 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, that's all I need - another forum. Now I spend even less time in the shop and more on the net surfing another forum. I think any forum would have a hard time topping this forum.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

I don't know why I even signed up on the other one. This is my home of the net for 1/2a stuff.

Later,
Tim
Old 03-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Bipe Flyer

It's pretty much the same bunch of guys on every 1/2A forum anyways.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: mr_leffe

There is a new 1/2 forum.. announcement appeared on this forum for a couple of minutes a few days ago then the moderators must have taken evasive action and removed the post. Looks like it could do with a few members.
Looks like the person who keeps spamming other sites, such as RCU, needs to be smacked upside the head with a 2x4!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:16 AM
SquirlNutZipper
My Feedback: (9)

W T F is all this about?
Old 03-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What I usually do when one of these pops up is register. I know of one situation where a guy, one who I don't get along with, registered with what is usually me, and started tickin people off.

I have enough places to spend my time, but you never know when someone will just get tired and walk off the job. Anyone remember RCOnline?

Luckily my main digs is Spadworld and when those folks have gotten tired and moved on, they have transferred to new, enthused folks.

It's a hobby, everyone needs a break now and again or it turns into, WORK.

Speakin of which I had close to 70 hours of this week and could go in right now. Work has become to much like, WORK!
Old 03-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Bipe Flyer

There's something a little odd. Go to the main page and scroll to the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13323.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	420080  
Old 03-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same icon at the bottom of WattFlyer RC Electric forum. I wonder why RCU would be setting up several sub-forums? Unless revenues are tied to hit counts on separate sites.....
Old 03-04-2006, 07:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW, I would rather have one outstanding 1/2A forum, than have several 1/2A forums. Other forums will tend to take away from the variety and quantity of message traffic that we get here. You could argue and say that the variety comes from searching around, but I guess I would rather just see it all at one chat room, then have to get up and change the channel.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:21 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The RCU tag caught me off guard too. But apparently this new site is not part of RCU. I've asked about the graphic at the bottom of the home page.

In the meantime I'm bound by the site rules to mention that while it's OK to link to a specific thread on this site that it's not OK to post links to the main forum pages in general. As such this thread will be locked and left for a day or two so you all know what is going on and then it'll be deleted. And the link in the first post has been removed.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:02 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Bruce,

Actually thats a pretty good reminder. I didn't know there was a difference between linking to threads and just linking to a sub-forum main page. Good stuff to know.

Duke
Old 03-05-2006, 06:11 AM
SquirlNutZipper
My Feedback: (9)

CP I too would rather have one central site.

To whome ever started this... Do you really think I have the time to surf a dozen pages per evening? This is THE best 1/2a site I've ever found. Go home and count your losses.

Alex
Old 03-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Toad

I think it is great that others want to try and get their own forum going for whatever reasons, for me it was part of my hobby of pylon racing 1/2a, I started my little racing forum a few yrs ago, it has finnally grown to contain 14 posts. LOL
I wish them good luck , just do it, it is all in fun anyway, dont get discouraged by some of the folk in the hobby, they seem to be stuck in their ways and complain about most things new. I hope you succeed at it, it is a lot of fun! I learned alot when I did mine.
I am still playing with my own website and forum, I have a blast at it and I am not very good like the pro's
Some of us old gummers are cool and not stuck to a certain site.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Toad

I hope this place doesnt go the route that Mark Ryder did on RunRyder.com.
He has gotten really bad about deleting anything that he thinks is competing. It is like he is a Hitler now.
I suppose some just have to have ALL the glory pointing at their own board. I find it sad
I see nothing wrong with anyone wanting to try their own hand at the game, even if just for fun.
Deleting posts and links is crazy and very selfish, just let people have their own freedom where they visit.
I know this is a bussiness, that competes with other boards, but if it gets too restrictive, I know a few will choose to hang elsewhere.
After all, it is the user that is in control. I see no reason to get upset at anyone trying to get a web presence.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:38 AM
mr_leffe

It's the posts that the members come here to read and not the moderator or RCU Inc's policies.
But unfortunately FREE SPEECH doesn't aply here.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:32 PM
combatpigg

Free speech anywhere has its' limits. Would anybody think it is OK to go down to the LHS and start talking to the customers about another hobby store down the street? There is a big difference between using RCU to promote a wannabee clone site, and giving a link to a site that specializes in planes that cater to .05% of the viewing market. RCU has to draw the line somewhere, what they provide us with takes work and costs money to produce. I'm also glad that membership is free, thanks to the advertisers who trust that RCU will not allow messages to viewers that try to draw viewers away from this website. We give links here all the time to suppliers who don't advertise with RCU, and they allow that, because it adds to the wealth of information that these forums are all about. I think this is very fair and reasonable.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Bipe Flyer

Regardless, I believe that Mr Leffe's original post was in the interest of helping us modellers.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:57 PM
combatpigg

I agree that MR LEFFE meant no harm, but I just want to point out RCUs' side of the deal and the loyalty that they have to keep with their advertisers in this very fickle business that they are running.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:24 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: mr_leffe

It's the posts that the members come here to read and not the moderator or RCU Inc's policies.
But unfortunately FREE SPEECH doesn't aply here.
You're right, it doesn't.

This is due to one very good reason. Like it or not RCU, and any other discussion forum site on the net, is not an open public forum where anything goes. It was started by and is owned by one person or group of persons who have invited all of us into their "house" to partake in such activity as they are willing to sponsor. This is why there's rules. Just as you would normally abide by the rules of someone's house that you visit even if you may not normally have those rules in your own house. We are all visitors here and it's part of the deal that we agree to play by the rules. And one of those rules is that other forums are not openly promoted at some possible cost or damage to RCUniverse.

It costs money to run a big website like this and as we all know from seeing the banner ads and other commercial material this money is coming from advertising. Promoting other websites in more than a passing way is basically saying to folks "go there and look at their advertising instead of our advertising". I think we can all agree that this is not a very healthy way to run things.

First and foremost I'm a modeller and chose to participate here as a modeller. I think it's fair to say that I hold up that end of the bargain. I was also asked to moderate a few of the forums and chose to accept since I was here enough of the time (far TOO much is more like it! ) and felt that if I could help make this a better place to be at the same time that I was having a good time then all is well. However when I agreed to become a moderator I also took on a duty to abide even more closely to the site's rules while trying to be as open and fair as I could be in my moderating.

In this case I did not just choose to edit this thread lightly. Posting about other sites to promote general intrest IS against the RCU rules. However posting links to threads on other sites that are related to a discussion that is under way is OK.

As for the RCU logo on the other site I'm still waiting on an answer that makes sense. But I have been informed that the other site is in competition and as such falls under the "No promotion of other sites" rule.

Oddly enough the last time I was taken to task here was for leaving one series of threads up for far too long according to some folks. At the time I thought I was promoting free speech but it was a bit too free to some folks. I'm feeling a bit like a politician, darned if I do and darned if I don't!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:47 PM
combatpigg

Bruce, I think you are doing a great job as our moderator. Some day you might be able find the extra time away from your duties to actually [gasp] build a plane [X(]! You don't get enough recognition for the job you do and I hope RCU realizes what an outstanding guy they have holding down the fort.
There was one thread that got locked down about 3 years ago that was a real humdinger, I think it was an argument over intake stack length. I would love to find that one in the archives, I think it's actually pretty funny and there's a few guys who have joined [this forum] after that great debackle who might get a kick out of it.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, there was that throttle thingy too.

I'd think the RCU logo probably got copied over when the guy carbon copied RCU, but I'll leave that the to panel of highly paid and grossly overworked RCU lawyers.

Isn't this thread supposed to have disappeared already?

Doin a good job guy, keep it up.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:11 PM
BMatthews

I meant to lock and loose it but was busy and forgot. And since it's generated some additional traffic I figured leave it as a discussion for a short while. If no one has anything to add I'll flush this thread later today.