Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Small hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 06:17 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small hinges

I am covering a model and I was wondering about what to use for the small hinges, the balsa is only 1/8" so I hate to use ca hinges. What about useing the covering material as a hinge or will it tear right away. What do you guys use on your 1/2a size models?[]
Old 03-06-2006, 06:36 PM
hogflyer

Default RE: Small hinges

TS -

Monokote hinges work great on 1/2A models. Another alternative is to use the sewn hinges. For those, check if you LHS stocks the kevlar thread used for rigging model sailboats. Somebody on the forum should be able to grab a picture of a sewn hinge (my plane with sewn hinges is 450 mi away). If you can find them, I think it's Dubro that makes some 1/2A pinned hinges also. I know Klett used to, but haven't looked lately as I still have a large stash of them.

Hogflyer
Old 03-06-2006, 06:49 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Take apart an old floppy disc and cut out any size hinges you need. I just CA them in.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:53 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its a really tiny ...and I do mean REALLY tiny airplane. I use VCR tape. Stuff is tough as nails and really flexable. Floppy disks work well too.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Digger-RCU

Monocote hinges work very well for the size blasa wood you are working with. they are tough, and easy to replace if they wear. Also, they do not bind.

You can see them in the picture I posted. It is not a very good picture, but it was the only one I have that shows monocate hinges at all. They are easy to make, and I can explain it if the picture is not self explanitory. (which it likely is not...Sorry)

Randy (Digger) Birt[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He96985.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	422512  
Old 03-08-2006, 09:23 AM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Digger-

Good to see you posting again. Where are you in the training process?

Brian
Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Digger-RCU

Hey Brian, I'll post an update in it's own thread (to answer your question, I,m done)

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do sewn figure 8 hinges with dental floss. I've never had a failure on any airplane up to 40 size. I drill a 1/16 hole in the stab and elevator about 3/16 back from the hinge line. I make a little notch in the leading edge of the elevator to clear the hinge so the hinge line is good and tight.

Go to this site and scroll down to "close sewn hinges". http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/knot.htm
Old 03-08-2006, 01:11 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

ORIGINAL: propbuster

Take apart an old floppy disc and cut out any size hinges you need. I just CA them in.
I have heard of using floppy disks for hinges. You are talking the 3.5" right? What size to I cut them to? Use thin ca, medium?????
Old 03-09-2006, 09:15 AM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

removed.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Silent J
My Feedback: (2)

Just for clarification, you mean the round inner disk part and not the plastic housing, right?

I've never thought about those materials for hinges. Excellent brainwork.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:16 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: Digger-RCU

Hey Brian, I'll post an update in it's own thread (to answer your question, I,m done)

Randy (Digger) Birt
GREAT to see ya back there Digger! Can't wait to hear 'bout the process.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:47 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Film is good but sellotape works as well providing you have a shiny surface. I use sellotape diamond grade and seal the edges with a smear of epoxy.

OK so far even on really quick 15 combat models.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:35 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

Film is good but sellotape works as well providing you have a shiny surface. I use sellotape diamond grade and seal the edges with a smear of epoxy.

OK so far even on really quick 15 combat models.
Not familiar with ‘sellotape diamond grade’. Is that what we colonists call scotch tape?
al
Old 03-10-2006, 08:04 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

I have used CA hinges on 1/8" balsa with good success. I have even used them on 3/32". I know people who have used them on 1/16" for smaller planes and they work fine. My hand isn't steady enough to use them on 1/16" balsa though. On smaller stuff (.020 size) I use scotch tape. It's cheap, easy and seals the hinge gap. On the .049 and up stuff though I like covering hinges. They are stronger than you may think. Besides, you are already covering the plane anyway. I usually just use one strip on the top and one strip on the bottom that runs the entire length of the control surface. Just be sure to fold the surface over to stretch out the hinge, iron it on then fold it over the other way and iron the other side on. Piece of cake!

Brian
Old 03-10-2006, 08:58 AM
brocja01

Fireman,

You have any pictures of that way of using Monokote hinges? I'm on my second wing for my DNU and the last time I did monokote hinges I cut small strips and put them on in a checker board fashion. It took FOREVER! If I can use two long pieces instead of all the little strips, that would make the wing come together faster.

Thanks, brocja01
Old 03-10-2006, 10:00 AM
dieFluggeister

Here is just a cross section. Width of each strip is approximately an inch and the length of your hinge line. As mentioned above, apply the strip along the hinge line with the hinge fully deflected in the opposite direction. It is easy to get the gap too tight which will make the joint stiff and the servo work hard. Also use a medium temp on your iron just below the shrinking temp of your film so you don't shrink the film tighty in the joint.

I like to put the hinge under the final covering (hard to do) just for looks but it works fine over the top too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55020.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	423524  
Old 03-10-2006, 11:54 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

There you go, perfect. I don't have any pics of it. Just like you said, though, run one strip the full surface length. You can do it the same way with a double bevel. Your preference.

Brian