Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

G-Mark 061, What Plane???

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

G-Mark 061, What Plane???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:43 AM
26ray
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-Mark 061, What Plane???

Ok guys, I have a used g-mark .061 that runs great, I cant stand letting it sit on the shelf. I wanna fly with it, I am looking for somthing like an old timer type plane.... Anybody have any ideas on somthing cool... I prefer an ARF since time is always an issue. It needs to be under $100.00

What are your favorite 1/2a planes ?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:09 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: G-Mark 061, What Plane???

Hey, most electrics (ARF)that can be converted are $99 so just barely under your price ,I'd have to look it up and edit here but I think there is a $70 extra type plane at tower(nope that was .20 size),,and this is not 1/2a and forgive me for saying as I am an animal lover from way back ,but that is one ugly ***** cat in your avitar, what'd you do give that thing a bath and it backed into a wall socket? hahahahaha....Rog
I have heard of people sticking an .061 on the Wattage crazy max with good results
Old 03-24-2006, 09:12 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hobby Lobby has a laser cut kit of the old timey looking Miss Stik. It's big with a 55 inch span but that's fine for old tymey powered glider style flying. It'll likely perform like a fairly decent climbing powered glider if that's what you're after. It's only $35 but it's also mostly sticks with just a few laser cut parts. So there's a fair amount of building involved but it'll look great when done.

Another option is the laser cut semi kits for the real thing at http://www.bhplans.com Bob Holman plans. Here again old timers use a lot of stick wood with only a few cut sheet parts but this option will provide you with the real meal deal. You're looking for something in the 45 to 52 inch span range to keep the performance in the Old Tymey style as a lightly built sub 40 inch model will turn into a bit of a hotrod with the GMark. Far from uncontrollable since the GMark isn't that strong but still well above what an old timer should be like.

In particular I can strongly recomend the Miss Tiny as a lovely model with lots of character. It's also surprisingly aerobatic even set up as a Texaco model with the big prop. Build the tail surfaces with the hingeline at the spars as shown and use only about plus and minus 1/4 inch for the elevator and about plus and minus 1/2 for the rudder at first. It'll still be quite spirited with that much but it'll calm down for the glide. The Miss Tiny is also quite capable of thermalling well at up to 16 to 17 oz weight.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:14 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Flying Buddy who has converted one of the Miss 2's to a gasser with a TT 07. Uses it as a trainer. Flies around all day on 2 oz of fuel at 1/3rd throttle. I would say the G. Mark 061 would be on par with his set up.... Good call Bruce.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:15 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

One of my first RC planes was a scratch built job called," THE NICKLE". I think it was featured in the RCM plans service? It is rudder / elevator controlled with a very simple sheet fuselage, and a very basic wing that was easy enough to build with just an Exacto blade. I used to see how low and slow my G MARK could pull that plane around. What ever you do end up with, you are looking in the right direction to find a well suited plane for that engine, something light and slow, with transparent covering [of course].
Old 03-24-2006, 10:29 PM
KidEpoxy

Saw a Wattage Super Decathlon with a norvel 074... plenty and beyond

I think the sig Rascal has 2 planes that scale 049-074.... a little more Old Timey looking
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15317.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	432446  
Old 03-26-2006, 09:10 AM
26ray

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Another option is the laser cut semi kits for the real thing at http://www.bhplans.com Bob Holman plans. Here again old timers use a lot of stick wood with only a few cut sheet parts but this option will provide you with the real meal deal. You're looking for something in the 45 to 52 inch span range to keep the performance in the Old Tymey style as a lightly built sub 40 inch model will turn into a bit of a hotrod with the GMark. Far from uncontrollable since the GMark isn't that strong but still well above what an old timer should be like.

Hey, Thanks for the link... they have a bunch of cool stuff. Lots of planes that I like. I have to finish my current plane project, so I am getting ready for the next build...

thanks
Old 03-26-2006, 09:11 AM
26ray

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Saw a Wattage Super Decathlon with a norvel 074... plenty and beyond

I think the sig Rascal has 2 planes that scale 049-074.... a little more Old Timey looking

Yes.... this plane is great !!! I have it and am finishing up the linkages and see is ready to take to the air. I will post a pic when I am finished her.