Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel rc 061 and folding prop

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel rc 061 and folding prop

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 02:19 AM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel rc 061 and folding prop

Have been testing 061 and 7-3 folding prop. Used bolt with shank to replace prop screw and loctited in. Use three head gaskets to keep power and compresion down. Engine turns about 12K prop rated 16K. Prop is Graupner from Hobby Lobby. Tilt engine down to start . if well broken in it starts with a few flips. Blades are loose to fold but not to loose. aslo safty glasses just in case. Have about one hour run time, so far so far so good. Responce from idel to full power smooth. Would be great on glider no wieght from motor or batteries. They have carbon blades and alu. spinners that might work better.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:37 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had made up a gear reduction drive a few years ago to run a Graupner 12 inch folder with a cox 049, I think it was 2.5 or 3:1 ratio. Used an electric starter to get it going, worked pretty good.

Some of the newer electrics are way powerfull, and as long as the prop has a comfortable rpm safety margin it should be OK. The only thing is if they can stand the firing pulse over a long period of time without the plastic developing stress cracks and then failing. Only time would tell!

Happy experimenting!

Andrew Coholic
Old 12-10-2002, 06:09 AM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read in some euro hobby mag how some guy used heli parts in a glider for gear reduction and larger diameter folding props. Was able to throttle back at altitude and the prop would fold, engine would remain running until power was needed again. Didn't have the same problems of using electric props and folding props on IC engines as you will most likely have since the prop was not directly affected. They are built light for greater electric motor efficiency, not made to handle the resonant frequecy an IC motor produces when firing.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:29 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A similar article was in RCM I believe, I can dig it up. Probably 5 or 6 years ago. He used a 30 sized heli clutch and a small IC engine, yes I remember the prop woulf fold back when going to idle and the clutch would disengage. Neat stuff! Probably not too many people fooling with these things, but the "off the shelf" hardware is certainly out there.

Some of the folders with metal hubs and carbon blades I am sure would hold up to the IC engines, just wouldnt try the lighter weight ones myself.

Andrew