Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

020 tuned pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:03 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 020 tuned pipe?

Whatever happened with that?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:57 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 020 tuned pipe?

You mean the quiet pipe? I at least looked at it again today, but it rained and snowed today, the latest in my excuse-a-day for not putting numbers here.
I did get a new tach, have the pipe on a 020 TD, and have a gaggle of pee wees- at least one of which probably runs.

By ear, I wasn't able to tell if the TD was running slower or the same or faster with and without the pipe. But oh boy was it quiet! Sounds like a TD playing on an am pocket radio instead of live.
The first inch or two right near the engine gets hot as the engine runs, but the rest is pretty cool with the prop blast on it.

I wonder how hot it gets in a fuse.

I want four more! Thanks for reminding me to get back on it, quite rude of me to have the thing sent to me for testing and then I go slack..

I used to visit Winter Haven once a year as a kid, my grandparents were there.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Sneasle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was that that small black one that was made out of fiberglass tube?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:39 AM
mclintock

I've been outside trying to get a decent run on my td with the pipe on, so far I've used several tankfulls worth priming and I think my glow batteries are getting weak, as am I. I'm glad to not be at a field where others can see me taking so long to start this engine.
I've got it to run some, but when I even start to move near the needle, it quits. No fault of the pipe I think, except it's not easy to prime with the exaust covered, I dribble fuel above the pipe/cyl clamp and hope fumes get in there, seems to work..

Must not give up!

Ok now to edit-
I ate some cookies and my brain switched on- fresh D cells and
run the engine open exaust first! duhh and I replaced the spring on the needle with a bit of fuel tubing.

It's so much easier to start when the prime goes where you want- all the suffering is worth it every time once you get that lean scream as it goes from the coughing '4-stroke' to the real deal two stroke.. mm love that sound...

So cranked right up open exaust, with the cox 4.5-2 prop, got 20.1k naked, with the pipe got 19.5k.. Norvel 25 fuel. It is so much quieter with the pipe, I was scared the cops would come with it open exaust.. glad I only had half a tank in.

The priming problem may be only really a hassle on the test stand, on a plane one could drip fuel in the end of the exaust pipe and tilt the nose down so the fuel would get to the engine, but can't do that on the stand.

The sound difference is like hearing a band live vs on tv.
Another analogy is the difference between hearing the TD with the car door open vs closed.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Sneasle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not that much of a perf drop... and for the extra quiet might be worth it. which pipe was it again?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:46 PM
mclintock

Assuming Easytiger was talking about the FlyQuiet pipe from flyquiet.com, then see this thread..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3881339/tm.htm

Theres a link to some pictures in the first post.

Now I need one for .049 to see if I can get away with flying my cox pt 19 CL while a baseball or soccer game is goin on in the park without getting the beat down.