Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Rudder on a H.O.B CHIPMUNK??

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Rudder on a H.O.B CHIPMUNK??

Old 12-13-2002, 08:37 AM
genovia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder on a H.O.B CHIPMUNK??

Hello Fellow Flyer's,

I'm building a H.O.B Chipmunk, I must admit, it's one nice looking plane, but what prompt me to write this thread is that on the box specifications *noted 3 - 4 ch. Plane, but on the plan, it's planned of 3ch.

Has anyone configured or built a H.O.B with rudder, if so. I would like to how you did it.

Thank you all in advance ,

genovia
Old 12-13-2002, 04:31 PM
Digger-RCU

Greetings Genovia,

Lots of talk goes on here concerning the HOB kits you should be able to find several folks that have built them.
I built the HOB P-47 from an older kit that had nothing in the plans concerning the rudder, so I know where you are at. The tail split should be in the correct place, so instead of glueing it together like they suggest, you must hindge it like the elevator. than run a pushrod the same way you ran the rod for the elevator. Run the two rods on the opposite sides of the fuse. Some folks have then both on the same side, but I Think that clogs things up too much on that side.

On the P47. I mounted a tail-wheel to the rudder using a 1/2a tailwheel brace. worked great.
I have a chipmonk kit that I will be building this winter, so when you get yours done, report back to us how it flys

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 12-18-2002, 05:22 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

How did the P-47 fly? I have the V35 that hasn't flown yet and am working on a foam Jug roughly the same size and a little lighter than the HOB Jug.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:57 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The HOB series has been around since the 70's, At that time the smallest equipment was 2x as large as it is now. Ace bantams were my servo of choice for them. It wasn't too feasable weight wise to go much nore the 2 channels but of course it was done. The planes really all share the same wing and flying qualities degrade rapidly with excessive weight. These wern't designed to be pattern planes or to hover or any of the stuff that is really being done today, basically they were designed to fly reasonably well on elevator and ailerons and a honkin TD 049/051.
I cant comment on how they fly with todays stuff, probably all right but motors are bigger and weight has to be climbing. I built the P-47 with retracts and it really was a waste of time. Still have a new set of robart 1/2A etracts here.
A rudder will be nice for knofe edge but how much are you going to do, unless you have a paved runway you won't need it for take off. to hover you need a lot bigger surfaces then those planes have. they are cool planes, enjoy them for what they are,otherwise you might have unrelistic expectations and be very disappointed. Dennis
Old 12-20-2002, 07:16 AM
genovia

Hello Guys,

Sorry for not getting back to al of you in a timely manner. I was busy building my first Scratch airplane , from which my time was consumed building my Pattern Plane called the Jellybean, designed by Dave Blum.

Back to the Chipmunk.

****you must hindge it like the elevator. than run a pushrod the same way you ran the rod for the elevator. Run the two rods on the opposite sides of the fuse. Some folks have then both on the same side, but I Think that clogs things up too much on that side. ***

Greetings Digger, dennis

Fine of you guys post your experince, I aprriciate it. I think, I got the configuration in terms of modifiying the Chipmunk to fly with the aid of a rudder, it took me a while to figure it out, and with all of you guys knowledge and info's. I think, I am set in finishing her. All that I need to do is gear her up, cover and I'm finish

****A rudder will be nice for knofe edge but how much are you going to do, unless you have a paved runway you won't need it for take off. to hover you need a lot bigger surfaces then those planes have. they are cool planes, enjoy them for what they are,otherwise you might have unrelistic expectations and be very disappointed. Dennis****

I'm hoping that this plane, will give me as much, as to what it can give me, a crisp knife edge would be nice. I don't have a nice paved runway

I have converted a H.O.B Mustang, ohhhhhhhh... What a Joy , I've also converted all of Ace Simple Series warbird, with lot's of success. The Pica on the other hand, compaired to the H.O.B.... I won't look at another Pica airplanes to convert, for the H.O.B is one tough airplanes.

Thank you all for your kind input.

Yours,
genovia
Old 12-21-2002, 01:22 AM
beenie

Dennis,
It would be difficult at best to do knife edge with a V tail, and hovering would just be silly. I built the V35 because it is one of my favorite airplanes. It is just the coolest little plane, a Mini-me! I would just like it to fly around, although inverted would be cool, and maybe a roll or two. But mostly just flying around. With 4 channels and a Norvel .061, AUW is 22 oz. I think that should give good flight performance.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:30 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

beenie, I wasn't picking on any of the HOB models in particular. Just trying to relate my experiences with them and to just say not to expect modern contemporary performance from them. These planes are really the most fun you can have with the minimum of equipment. the Norvel 061 is about the biggest motor that is needed and I don't use more then 2 channels to fly them. It is a blast to fly these and a throttle is really not needed. If you need less time then don't fill the tank all the way. Oh and leave the landing gear off them also. They are worthless drag and will only break the bottom of the wing when they fold on you. they land fine on grass.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:03 AM
beenie

I was very well aware of the performance of a '70's kit when I bought it. Is there a problem with fuel draw on the hand launches? I don't want an engine failure on launch. I hadn't heard about the LG ripping out on landing, but I will take that into consideration. It makes me a little nervous to hand launch a new airplane. I think the V35 is the sleekest general aviation plane ever. I am supposed to get checked out in a big (1:1 scale) one Monday
Old 12-28-2002, 08:05 PM
rick121x

Default HOB Chipmunk Hooray!

It has been a few years since this one died because of crossed flight battery wires accidentally clamped between and fuselage and shorted in flight! Not much left but dust after straight down at full throttle from about 100 feet.

But what I want to say is that the plane flew perfectly with only aileron and elevator and throttle(such as it is with a Cox TD..... I was primarily a slope glider flier at the time and so that mode of flight control was very comfortable to me. ...And I was flying from a paved runway.

I covered the wings and tail surfaces with monocoat, but painted the fuse... It was really beautiful. See the attached pic or take look at my gallery for more.

In fact, It flew so well that I do want to build another (Right after after I finish the very tall stack of kits already in my closet.).

It was truly fun to fly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43502_12277.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	25484  
Old 12-28-2002, 08:08 PM
rick121x

Default Re: HOB Chipmunk Hooray! View 2

Another view

Name:	43504_12277.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	25485  
Old 12-28-2002, 08:11 PM
rick121x

Default Re: Re: HOB Chipmunk Hooray! View 3

Another view - a lovely plane!

Name:	43505_12277.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	25486  
Old 12-28-2002, 09:03 PM
genovia

rick121x,

She is lovely, nice work Are you using rudder on her?
Old 01-08-2003, 06:16 AM
powerglide
My Feedback: (4)

Default rudder?????????????

doesnt need one , flies great ailerons/elevator>>>>try it youll like it, I stopped using rudders yrs ago except on tail draggers.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:27 AM
spyder0069

Default rudder

I have a HOB chipmunk that my buddy just built for me. Initially it had no rudder. I flew it about 5 times. and was belly landing with no landing gear. Being that its winter time the plane really smacked and skidded on the hard ground. Plus I knew that in the summer I wouldn't always have the nice high winds to throw the plane into so I decided to setup a rudder. I just cut the rudder surface and recovered the exposed areas. Clipped off the original tail skid. Drilled a hole through the middle of the fuselage at the hinging point. Then I used a plastic tube and glued it into place to act as a sleeve for the wire. Bent the top portion of the wire so that it 90 degreed into the rudder. Drilled/glued/and put a patch coat over the wire to hold it firmly in place. Then slid the wire through the sleeve, hinged the rudder, and bent the wire at the bottom of the fuse into the correct shape. The trickiest part was to mount the radio equip so that nothing binded. The servo had to be mounted beside the elevator servo. I'll attach a couple of pics.

Name:	46909_24757.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	25487  
Old 01-13-2003, 02:28 AM
spyder0069

Default rudder

Here is the tail.

Name:	46910_24757.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	25488  
Old 01-13-2003, 02:29 AM
spyder0069

Default rudder

Here is how the rudder linkage goes into the fuselage.

Name:	46911_24757.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	25489