Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Help, first glow motor

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Help, first glow motor

Old 12-13-2002, 11:33 PM
1/2a phil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, first glow motor

Got my Norvel .061 in the mail yesterday and did every thing they said. So 24 hours later I'm trying to start her for the first time. About 20 minutes of trying with a chicken stick, she finally got up and running. I take the glow stater off, and she dies. I guess this means she is too rich? So I leaned her up and about a minute later of chichen starting, she finally starts up again. This time I take off the Glow starter and she runs but badly. I get about a full minute of motor time before she died off. It said to let motor cool between starts, but really I'm the one cooling off. The chicken stick is for the birds. Do I need a electric starter? And what do I need to do to get this motor up and running? I'm currenlty using 10% Omega fuel.
Thanks
Philip
Old 12-13-2002, 11:44 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default engine

The engine takes some running to break in , run it rich then slowly lean it out to full power.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:45 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Chicken sticks are a pain the pattuty on small engines where the prop has very little inertia to help you along. Switch to a leather glove until you get the hang of it and then you'll probably find that you don't need any protection after a couple of dozen starts where you know what it's going to do.

Set the prop so the "flipping blade" is at about the 4 o'clock position where the engine just touches the compression. That will set you up for a nice flip and have your finger out of the way by the 10 o'clock position. Modify slightly as needed.

And always run a bit of fine sandpaper over your prop leading and trailing edges when new to take off the razor edges. That helps a lot.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:30 AM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

I would suggest bumping up the nitro content, try 15%

L.R.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:42 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default 061

Do you have the muffler pressure hooked up?? and are you trying to use bigger than a 2oz tank and is the tank even with the needle valve, if all of this is ok then set the needle back to recommened, once it starts lean it down a half turn before you pull the glow driver, 15% nitro would be a good idea, if you are using an apc cleaver prop I wouldn,t use the glove Idea but cox and the others are not a problem with this method, forget using the electric unless it is one of the 1/2a starters, you are liable to break the rod with any thing else, HANG IN THERE
Old 12-14-2002, 06:01 AM
1/2a phil

Thanks for all the good advise. I will bump up the nitro and use a wooden prop till I get use to flipping with my finger.

Philip
Old 12-14-2002, 07:21 AM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

They don't call 1/2 a engines "Finger Biters" fer nuthin.......

the li'l Cox engines are famous for it......... I speak from experience.....used 'em back in my spindizzy days.......got more bites than I would care to try and count......

LOL
Old 12-14-2002, 01:09 PM
1fishnfool
My Feedback: (42)

what part of houston you in?I could posibly hook you up with a friend of mine over there and he would be more than glad to show you what`s up with that little engine!
Old 12-14-2002, 02:12 PM
jettstarblue

Default First engine

Phil,

First, welcome to a hobby that never ends. Definately no boredom in it anyhow.
Good move to wood props-really the only "safe ones". Hope the move to 15% helped, but 25% will really make these things easy to start, and the needle valve won't be so touchy.
Sounds like your still a little rich, so try leaning it out A COUPLE OF CLICKS on the needle valve, not much. If it starts, runs a second or so, and really zips while running, it's to lean. If it's hard to start, and once started, misses sputters and generally runs like crap, it's to rich. Should take a drop or so of primer in the carb, and a couple of flips WITHOUT the glow driver on, then hook up your fire, and it should go.
Keep us posted on your progress,

Jetts
Old 12-14-2002, 02:52 PM
1/2a phil

Well I thought the wooden props would be a bit "safer" but now I officaly have my DNA all over the prop

1fishnfool,
I live on the NW side of town, but willing to drive any where in Houston just to get some learning in. My LHS doesn't stock much 1/2a stuff, they don't even have any motors up till about .25, so I bought my Norvel over the internet, and really don't know any one in the 1/2 a stuff.

I will make a trip to my LHS today to pick up some higher Nitro and an electric starter

Again thanks for all the sound advise

Philip(now with cut fingers)
Old 12-14-2002, 07:08 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I missed the bit about the fuel. Higher nitro as the others suggested is a must. The smaller engines just don't work worth a darn without it.

And there's nothing wrong with the plastic props as long as you dull off the sharp edges and balance before using.

Were you wearing the leather glove when you got bit?

At least now you have a nice Heidelburg deuling scar to show off to the ladies........

If you're using the electric starter be sure you can flip the engine over by hand a couple of times first just before connecting the glow lead and hitting the thing with the starter (general procedure for any electric starting on any engine). That way you're sure there's no hydraulic lock that's going to bend the rod.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:09 AM
1/2a phil

Electric starter solved the problem. The 1/2 a starter spins that thing way faster than I could ever dream of flipping. And it could take a while before she would crank even at that. This may be due to the fact I'm still using 10% fuel, but I was still able to run three 1oz tanks of gas through it today. Norvel suggested using a lower nitro content when breaking in a motor, so that's why I bought the 10%. The motor still isn't running like it should but I guess that will come with pratice. I really need to make it out to a field with other glow flyers.

Thanks again everyone for the help
Philip
Old 12-15-2002, 01:47 AM
1fishnfool

Phil,I have a friend that lives in kingwood.I believe that is where he is at.That is on the north side right?Anyways,if you want,I will give him your email adress,if you give it to me,and he would be more than happy to help you out.He flies mostly control line,but he flies r/c too.He has a job out of the country,but I know he will be in town in the next week or so.He has been flying for many years,so he will show you a bunch.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:48 AM
1fishnfool

And by the way Phil,the last time I was there,we were running some norvel`s that he had,so he knows them well.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:03 AM
1/2a phil

Sounds great. My email adress is [email protected]
I'm going to make my first attempt to fly this thing tomorrow, hopefully I will get her some what tuned up. I'm much happier now with my electric starter.
Philip
Old 12-15-2002, 02:58 PM
1fishnfool

Did you get an email from Willcox?He is really nice,and will help with whatever you need.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:47 PM
1/2a phil

1fishnfool,

I haven't recieved an email yet, or maybe hotmail filtered it as Junk mail? For the motor, I got it running much better now, she starts up fairly quickly now, but still like to die at low RMP. I need some suggestions on a model to stick her on. The plane I build was much too small and like to roll at full throttle. I didn't have much controll over her. I'm looking for some plans right now.

Philip
Old 12-16-2002, 04:07 PM
1fishnfool

hmmm,maybe it got filtered because he sent me a copy yesterday and it was adressed to you and me....he said he would be happy to help you,but he is out of the country right now,so if you want to go flying with him in early jan,he will be around.What kind of plane are you looking for to put that engine on?
Old 12-16-2002, 10:13 PM
1/2a phil

1fishnfool,

My hotmail will filter mail I want and send me all the junk mail, pointless filter I have another email address, but will never post it in public, I want at least on spam free email address. I will PM you with my other email address. I will try and get a new model built up in the next couple weeks for I will have something to fly with in Jan. I was think some thing kind of like an Extra, really I need something in between. Like a sporty trainer?
Philip