Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Latest 1/2a Adventures

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Latest 1/2a Adventures

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:42 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Latest 1/2a Adventures

About 3~4 years ago, I made my first posts in this forum asking for help choosing an engine to use for a then newly acquired Ace simple T-6 kit; it was to be my first 1/2a since the cox c/l jobs I had 20 years ago. I decided on a Norvel .061. Well, for whatever reasons, that kit got put on the back burner while I pursued a number of other projects powered by surestarts, a tee dee .020 that I could never quite keep running right, etc. I finally got around to building the T-6 this March and it became a simple matter of waiting for nice weather and free time to coincide. This finally happened last night--I ventured up to the club field after work, figuring I'd have an hour to fly before the monthly meeting, and conditions were pretty good. After I put in a couple flights on my laser stick and gws spitfire to shake off the rust, I fired up the norvel and gave the T-6 a toss into the wind. The little Norvel ran beautifully and pulled the plane with surprising power--I wish I'd started using these engines earlier! The plane flew without any trim changes(a welcome surprise) and proved to be stable yet responsive enough to be entertaining. Now I see why so many people extoll the virtues of the Simple series kits. I'll try to post a pic of the plane when I get home(posting on my lunchbreak)...
Old 04-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Latest 1/2a Adventures

It's about time, you lazy so and so. I saw the pic on RC Groups, but you should post it here too. You really did a nice job of it.

I know what you mean about the Norvels. I really only use COX for .020s now.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:08 PM
BuzzBomber

Hey Bipe--thanks for the kind words! yeah, it di take me a while to get a roundtuit, dinnit?

Anyhow, moving back to the topic at hand, here's a before(original black, nonfuelproof painted cowl) and after(lustrekote cub yellow, which does NOT, BTW, match Sig Aerokote cub yellow, as you can see painted cowl. I swear, it doesn't look that bad, it's a trick of the light.

Oh, and bonus points for the first person to tell me what project the plane is sitting on in the 'after maiden' pic(it's not exactly 1/2A...)

Okay, even it it does look that bad, it flies GREAT!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86154.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	449176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52978.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	449177  
Old 04-22-2006, 01:20 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Good things come to those who wait.......looks real nice, MATT! Now you're all set, get some practice laps in and go show the Carolina Crew how it's supposed to be done [>:]!!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:24 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Is that Felix in the cockpit? man they'll let anybody pilot a T-6..yeah bring it on down after you practice a bit...Rog
Old 04-22-2006, 10:16 AM
mgnostic

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

"Oh, and bonus points for the first person to tell me what project the plane is sitting on in the 'after maiden' pic(it's not exactly 1/2A...)"

Sig Cub?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Bipe Flyer

It looks like a SIG Piper Cub plan.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Bolio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a Sig Cub 71". Wonderfull memories, I had one that lasted 14 years and wore 4 engines on it.
The hardest plane to land properly, is a groundloop machine, but my skills weren't the same as now.
Mine was covered in silk and dope painted with brush by my father and I.
Was the last plane we build together in 1984.
Wish he can see the kind of plane we are flying now, he will be ammazed.
Saludos.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:33 AM
BuzzBomber

Yep, that is indeed Felix the Cat, AKA "Felix Felix" in the command position--I have to say, so far, he has performed commendably. A few minutes with Google Image seach and a scrap of foamboard fills the cokpit just fine, eh?

Bonus points, good for, hmm, well, let's see here......one attaboy(that's all I can afford to give for a prize), go to mgnostic, Bipe Flyer, and Bolio for correctly identifying the plan sitting under the T-6. It is indeed a Sig 1/6th scale 71" Cub. I only picked up that kit in November '05 so don't plan on seeing it completed anytime soon if my past performance is any guarantee of future results(though I do have all the servos and an AXI 2826/10 and accompanying ESC lined up for it already)...[&:]
Old 04-23-2006, 01:13 AM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two simple series kits, one is the cap and the other is the extra. both have the tapered wings. I am a big cox engine fan but after what i hear about the weights i might go with one of the two AP wasp engines that i have. niether of the kits i have built yet, i am transitioning from 2 meter gliders to glow power, using a midwest aerostar 40. Ailerons are tricky, and still getting used to the speed of things.

I wanted to do a nice job building the ace kits, and even went to the expense of buying some balsa to sheet the wings with. Ive seen foamies at the field before and it doesnt take too long for them to look beat up, and sheeting them i thought would help.

Its nice to see the texan, i think its one of the better looking ones in the series. I think its the nice canopy that it has. I see your not using the landing gear either.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:25 AM
propbuster

Great job on the Texan! I got an Ace Simple Series ME 109 from Flyinrog a while back and love it. It's taken some abuse and a couple of hard landings and still flys great. I'm thinking of picking up and building another Simple Series warbird to take on vaction this year so my Dad and I can fly together! As far as engines, I bet one of those new in expensive CS jobs would be nice. [8D]

Name:	Pm34828.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	449947  
Old 04-23-2006, 12:01 PM
BuzzBomber

jetpack, sheeting the wings might not be a bad idea from a durability standpoint--mine already picked up a few minor dents from other stuff rolling around and hitting it in the car. I'm just really bad at sheeting, so I avoided it.

propbuster--nice lookin' 109 you got there! If you build another with one of those newfangled CS jobs let us know how it goes--I've kinda been eyeing those up but haven't pulled the trigger because my hobby budget has gone down the tubes the last couple months(which is why I was too cheap to buy a can of black lustrekote for the cowl). 'Course, if I got one of the CS FF engines for my next build, I wouldn't have to buy a throttle servo--yeah, that's the ticket-I'd actually be SAVING money[8D].
Old 06-01-2007, 12:08 AM
JasonRP

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted last! I want to finally finish my T-6 Ace Simple Series plane.. I'm considering using a brushless motor for the powerplant (I know, the horror!!)

Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of an electric conversion for this plane? I'd ask the electric guys, but they're too busy flying their RTFs and ARFs.. No one knows about kits anymore, so I thought I'd ask you guys- who are still true to kit and scratch building it seems!

Jason
Old 06-01-2007, 02:59 AM
Bipe Flyer

You want something like a Mega Motor 16/15/5 or a E-Flight Park 400 to 480. Anything in the brushless Speed 400 range will do nicely.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mega_brushless.htm
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1305
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1400
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1505
Old 06-01-2007, 06:39 AM
longdan

Nice job on the Harvard (as we call the AT6 here). I was tossing up between that and the Mustang. Went with the mustang because that was what the LHS had in stock at the time. I 'wore out' the first fuselage, and built a second from the plans. From what I have seen of them, they all (apart from the Cub) fly pretty much the same - fast, with a nice glide once the engine quits.
A guy at the club had the Me109 with a Norvel .074 on the front, but it didn't seem that much faster than my P51 with a big mig .061, and his would drop like a sack of potatoes when he ran out of fuel. I don't think these simple series really need overpowering as a .061 is plenty enough for them. Just my humble opinion.

Name:	Fd91692.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	695342  
Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Voyager248

Hello all:

First post on the site. Just finished the Ace texan, had the kit for years and finally found time to throw it together. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Thunder Tiger .07 over the Norvel .061 & .074. I'm having a little builder's remorse that I did not put the .061 Norvel in this kit. (And I had one.... dough!). I've had good results with the Norvel's in the past, but never flown the TT .07 and makes me nervous I don't see any posts on this engine, decided to go with it because I liked the way it fit the kit. Guess I will find out once the wind/weather allows. Plane is coming in at 17oz. I will try to post a pic tonight.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:34 PM
JasonRP

Let's see a pic of your simple series texan!! I'd show you mine, but it's not complete yet..

Old 06-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Voyager248

Not the traditional color scheme, found a similar scheme like this on a real texan on the internet. Might go fly it tomorrow.

Name:	Vt58795.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	696215  
Old 06-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Nice PLANES guys!
Old 06-03-2007, 01:12 AM