Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

cox/estes warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 06:30 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cox/estes warbirds

well I thought they were the same thing but their not..at walmart the other day I got an estes sky ranger..pretty much just grabbed it off the shelf..turns out this thing uses a bungee launcher to get going..didnt remember to pick up the 6 c and 6 aaa batteries for the tx and charger..the plane has 4,1.2 volt nimh batteries built in.....it is rudder only and has a cool exposed actuator that works the rudder...2.5- 5 minutes of flight...weird throttle set up, press the F button (flight) and it goes to full throttle for takeoff then automat..drop speed for flying..to land press (you guessed it) the L button which turns the motor off,,however the motor cant be started back until it lands and the switch turned off and back on???..another $30 plane ,let ya'll know how it goes maybe tomorrow....Rog

AUW is 4 oz//20 inch ws..500ft range..oh I got the Corsair//havent found the motor size yet either?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:15 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cox/estes warbirds

5 guys in my club have these warbirds, the best bargin in RC, they all fly great.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:26 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Rich, are they that good with the stock motor?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:29 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The motor is a '130' like a slot car motor or such, I have several, but it's real nessesary to fly over grass, taller the better! The ground is still bare and hard way up here in boston, I've only had success flying these estes things down south in tennessee.

The charger is just a pile of c cells and your watch, so if you have a better charger, by all means hack the wire off the battery pack charger and hook it to your field charger. I use .6 amps as the rate, I know it's nuts, but less than that and it just does not run well for long. I charged the plane at .06 amps overnight for the first time..

Run the beast at least two or three times to break in the motor, my old zero from the first series of these got way better after several flights. I wish they'd make the zero again in the new nimh powered series.. I flew the zero until the batteries exploded.

On the smaller estes grey crusader jet looking 19 dollar plane with push button steering, mine is bunk.. Before the RCU database crash last night another member here posted below that his little estes fighter flew very well, so perhaps my motor is shot or something.. I'll try that one again. That post was lost apparently.

Note here- I'm talking above about the "Estes" variant of the Cox micro warbird series, the Estes-branded ones are sold at Wal-Mart for 30$ with a radio included for rudder only bam bam, the Cox warbirds are hobby shop and Cox direct items that are an arf that includes the motor for 20$.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:59 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Rich, are they that good with the stock motor?
They fly well with the stock motor, but one guy put lipos and a brushless 400 motor in it, it does about 70 mph, that little and fast it looks like a DD with a piped DF engine. With the stock motor and Nimhs you can fly them indoors, (they want to pylon race in the HS gym), but I've seen them fly outside in upto 10mph, but I'd say 5 should be tops.

The plane is costing the guys maybe $100 to get in the air, ESC, batteries, servos, RX, but when they wreck them they're only out $20. Most of the guys have 3 or 4 of them,(planes), the one with the brushless is a P47, I like the Spitfire and Corsair too.

I didn't get one, you got to draw the line somewhere, and that line was crossed by me maybe 20 Tx and 50 engines ago. I need to cull the herd not increase it.

Check out page 4.
http://www.jcsportfliers.org/Newslet...2-06%20ALL.pdf