Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Paint & fuel proofing

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Paint & fuel proofing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:16 PM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint & fuel proofing

For those of you who DON'T use monocote or similar film covering, what do you use to paint and fuel-proof your planes? I've been using silkspan & dope most of my life and really enjoy both the process and the finish, but I've been having a hard time recently finding places that sell colored dope. I've heard good things about Klass Kote and Nelson paint systems but haven't yet made the plunge. Lustrecoat would probably work, but there ae times when you just want a little dab of paint on a brush.

Looking forward to your comments!

EG

Old 04-23-2006, 10:54 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Paint & fuel proofing

Brodak sells a lot of colored dope:

http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...ductID=BP-1065
Old 04-23-2006, 11:45 PM
KidEpoxy

I asked about fuelproofing, and got lots of great info from many sources
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4010132/tm.htm]Finishing Balsa, Chaep Fuel Proofing[/link]
maybe you will see some method you like in that thread, hope it helps

KE
Old 04-25-2006, 08:25 AM
flyboy1299
My Feedback: (7)

In the same vein, I am in the process of converting an electric foam bipe to nitro with a .15 engine. What can I use to fuel proof the foam surfaces?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

I thought I posted this here earlier but it didn't seem to show up. I must be havin a bit of amnesia. Weird as it may seem, you can cover that foam plane you were mentioning with the .15 in it, with paper. I use recycled printer paper to cover many of my birds. It will take either oil or latex paint, and you can seal it with water based polyeurethane. Take a look at the fokker DVII thread I did earlier this week in the 1/2 A forum and you'll see an example.

ZZ.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:14 AM
eroc144

ORIGINAL: ZoomZoom-RCU

I thought I posted this here earlier but it didn't seem to show up. I must be havin a bit of amnesia. Weird as it may seem, you can cover that foam plane you were mentioning with the .15 in it, with paper. I use recycled printer paper to cover many of my birds. It will take either oil or latex paint, and you can seal it with water based polyeurethane. Take a look at the fokker DVII thread I did earlier this week in the 1/2 A forum and you'll see an example.

ZZ.
You're not alone - one of my posts is missing too. Don't recall that either of us had posted anything over the top but perhaps we got trimmed anyway. Bruce?

Still hoping for input from folks who use Klass Kote, etc.

EG
Old 04-25-2006, 09:26 AM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night the database was being restored due to corruption. RCU was down for a few hours. Apparently, it didn't go too smoothly. They didn't say how it got corrupted, whether it was a hardware failure or malice.