Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

ARRGH!!! Aw Man!! help!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

ARRGH!!! Aw Man!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 05:09 AM
Wayne C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARRGH!!! Aw Man!! help!

Took my twenty-five year old but seldom used TD.049 apart for cleaning and misplaced or lost the venturi. Cox doesn't list the part seperatly. Their price is about $20.00 for a set including needle valve assembly and venturi. Before I send them that much plus shipping charge, I thought I'd see if one of you guys might be willing to sell an old TD.049 venturi. Maybe I'm just cheap but it bugs me pay half the cost of a new engine for one part even if I am the idiot that lost the old part. Also, I'm not above attempting to make a one if I had some specs. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:15 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ARRGH!!! Aw Man!! help!

If I remember correctly, the thread is 1/4 x 32 (same as standard glow plug...which is easy to verify).

Good luck.

George
Old 04-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Larry Driskill

Wayne, here is another option:

Take an old burned out Fox Standard Long Glow Plug;

1) chuck it up in your lathe, drill press or 1/4" drill and turn or file the portion on the plug right below the hex and above the threads down until the TeeDee needle collar will fit on it up to the hex.

2) remove the post and element and drill the inside out to the size you want - maybe 1/8".

3. Locate the point (1/2 the thickness of the collar) where you need the fuel passage holes into the venturi. Make a shallow groove there and drill three small holes in the groove at points around the circumference.

If you don't have an old Fox plug send me your address and I will send one.

Or . . . you can have the one in the photo.

Well Rats, the images show to be loading, but aren't. I'll try again after the moon changes phases.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55841.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	452065  
Old 04-28-2006, 07:39 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! This fix should include some bragging rights at the field!

George
Old 04-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Larry Driskill

I still can not get the photo to load.

I am wondering if the system down or am I just failing?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a little test --

Looks like it's RCU this time -- after the database problem, the image upload may be having problems also.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:28 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's 1/4-32 all righty but drilling the super tiny #80'ish holes will not be easy. Far easier to find a new venturi.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:42 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it hobbles the engine, but will the plastic venturi/needle/yada fit the TD? I've just always wondered that.. suppose I could just try it!
Edit back in time-
Yes I was talking about the medallion, swapping the whole business.. I suppose it wouldnt be a TD any more then.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:51 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What plastic venturi? If you're thinking of the one on the Medallion it won't work. That one is molded into the plastic crankcase body. Nope, it needs to be one of the TeeDee alloy ones or you need to be very talented to be able to make one and finally you'd have to have one to measure so that the grooves, threads and shoulders all come out at the right place. And if you have one as a pattern then.....
Old 04-29-2006, 04:45 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne, I too have one lost in the vast cosmos! I'm still on the look out for it after a year. I was able to find one through Darrin Albert who goes by Combatalbert on Ebay. I haven't seen him on the bay in a while, but you might try to dig him up and see if he can help you out.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Wayne C

Hey guys, I really appreciate the suggestions. Larry, I like the glow plug idea. I have a few old ones so I think I'm gonna try it even if I do get another cox venturi. I was actually contemplating trying to make one out of copper or brass because I thought it might work easier than some harder metals. I wasn't sure of the thread size, the size of the venturi opening, or the size of the little holes for the fuel to enter the venturi. I suppose that there would be some latitude in venturi and fuel passage sizes to produce a part that works. I also suppose that these sizes would become very critical in producing a part that works really well. Bruce, I'm not afraid of measuring and aligning the external dimensions. It is those little fuel holes that worry me. Actually, I think that I may use a larger tool to penitrate almost through the metal and then finish cutting through at the smaller size. Won't be trying it this weekend though. Other things to do and another engine I'm hoping run-in this afternoon. I don't have to go to work next friday so that may be the day.

thanks again,
wayne
Old 04-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Larry Driskill

Wayne, if you would like the Fox plug venturi, send me a PM with your address and I'll head it your way.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:16 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

WayneC, I think I may have one if you still need it. Let me know and I'll send it to you.

Brian
Old 04-29-2006, 06:44 PM
flybug

Maybe EASYTIGER has one, he usually have a lot of stuff on ebay. I think you won't lose anything by sending him a PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Wayne C

I really appreciate all the help. One person pm'ed me with an offer. I'll see how that goes before I trouble you other guys. Larry, I am interested in the part you offered and will pm you. I still plan on trying to make one just to see if I can. Bruce you stated that the small fuel holes were 80ish in size. The smallest drill bit I have is a 60. Its bigger than an 80 but will it still work? Since I'm experimenting I'll give it a try maybe only making two fuel holes instead of three.

Again, thanks to all of you.
wayne
Old 05-02-2006, 08:35 AM
ProBroJoe

As usual, I'm a little late to the party with this one, but check out Ron's Model Engineering pages this month for an alternate fuel system / venturi for the TD .049... http://modelenginenews.org/index.html Look under "An Important Update from Classic Model Engine Kits".

Hope this helps,

-Joe
Old 05-02-2006, 09:42 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the two of us we have about one useable TD - I was dusting off my Mini Falcon for the season, and noticed the NV assembly was loose - no wonder, the plastic female threaded portion is split from overtightening or plastic rot or something. Arrgh.. now to find one of THOSE.. .

MJD
Old 05-02-2006, 02:41 PM
propbuster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MJD, I see those pretty often on the bay. The plastic "carb body" on my .051 cracked a long time ago, all I did was rough it up around the crack and epoxy it. It's been working fine without sucking air ever since.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Wayne C

ProBroJoe thanks for the link. I had actually thought of a similar idea at work today. I was wondering how hard it would be to make a spray bar type venturi when it occurred to me that it may be possible to make a venturi that would use a needle assembly from a sure start. I may try it for fun someday.

MJD I believe that the plastic part you mentioned is cox part number CO-1724. If so Virginia Hobbysprt lists the part for less than five bucks and I understand that their shipping charges are very reasonable. Maybe someone here can give you a link or youo might just google it.

Again thanks for all the help.
wayne
Old 05-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Wayne C

WOW!!! One week ago I started this thread and the response has been great. Thanks for the suggestions, information, and advice. And a very special thank you to rrragmanliam and to Larry Driskill who each sent me parts in the mail.

Thanks again,
wayne