Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Fuel for Novel Big Mig .061

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Fuel for Novel Big Mig .061

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Dyehard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel for Novel Big Mig .061

Has anyone tried using 30% heli fuel in the Norvel Big Mig.061? I know that everone recommends castor based fuel for these engines, but they also recommend castor based fuel for the Cox TDs and I have had good luck running the Cox's on 30% heli fuel. I recieved a new Norvel .061 the evening before last. I soaked the cylinder with oil overnight and then turned the engine backwards around three hundred turns. It took a few minutes to get the oil out of the engine on the first start, after that it started most times on the first flip using the spring. I ran it ten tankfuls, then tached it at 16800 on a 6x3 APC. That's a thousand more RPM than I'm getting on a TD .051 with the same prop. It seems to leak a fair amount of fuel from around the prop driver, but other than that runs very well. Just wondering about the long term longevity running it on synthetic oil. BTW the oil content of 30% heli fuel is in the 22 to 23% range.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
mikegordon10

Default RE: Fuel for Novel Big Mig .061

Lots of 1/2A Pylon Racers around here are using 30% Heli fuel in their .061 AME's. Using a lot smaller prop (4.7 X 2.5) these are turning anywhere from 27 to 31 grand. Some of the guys are adding a couple ounces of castor to a quart of the heli fuel.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Dyehard

Thanks. We will be using this engine on a small controline stunt plane. Because of it's use, we don't have to have the maximum available power all the time, prefering to have the engine on the rich side in level flight and letting it lean out only when the nose is turned up. I may still add a little caster to it for extra protection.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:32 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dyehard,

Thar's exactly what I use, Cool Power 30% Heli. I run it in my Norvel .061, .074 and all my Cox engines. I need the extra oopmh as I fly in the mile high city (Denver). I haven't experienced any problems using the fuel. I DO add castor though. I've never tried it without the castor and can not recomend doing so.

Darren