Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What would YOU do with an Enya .15 III?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What would YOU do with an Enya .15 III?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would YOU do with an Enya .15 III?

Guys,

I've got an Enya .15-III, model 3303, which was given to me a while back by a friend whose parents ran a hobby shop in the 70s and 80s. It was new, never run when I got it, and I've basically just run it enough to get it broken in, then hung it on a laser stick for one flight and put it back in the box after a good cleaning. It just was too heavy with the strap mount muffler and didn't have enough oomph to fly the stick the way I wanted--it didn't help that I had to add 1 oz of lead in the tail even after moving all the radio gear aft as far as possible. Since it doesn't really fit anything currently in my hangar, I hald thought about ebaying it and giving the proceeds to my friend, but judging from past experience, it ain't gonna earn much. Besides, it's such a friendly engine to run that I think it deserves another chance. It ain't no Norvel .15, but it runs pretty strong, and it's dead-on reliable now that I've got it worn in.

So, all that said, what would you do with this engine if it belonged to you? I half thought about hanging it on a Dumas "Windy" airboat just for something different. Just trying to get some ideas for a future project...

TIA
The following users liked this post:
Holmatas (08-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2006, 12:14 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: What would YOU do with an Enya .15 III?

They are fairly heavy and don't put out much power compared to the newer schneurle pattern engines. A good home for it would be a gentle flying old timey sort of model or some form of cabin vintage RC model. Use it for calm flying and as a loaner/trainer for friends and other curious sorts.

If you made it a three channel model but with center section flaps then it could be fun for doing STOL type flying. Build it up as a camera carrier for the new generation of compact digitals while you're at it.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:15 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a Shrike 10 or a Sig Wonder? There are also lots of plans in the RCM collection (don't know about availability) that are designed for a .15. There is a nice trainer type in the current Flying Models called the Number 7. Unfortunately, there aren't many kits for this size engine. There are lots of plans available though.

Brian
Old 05-02-2006, 01:24 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built an Astro Viking kit (intended for electric) a few years back, and fitted it with an OS .15 FP, 2oz tank, 8-4MAS prop. It had more than enough power (indicating your .15 would do the trick easily), and was one of my favorite models. Sweet relaxing flier. I often trimmed it for a circling climb and set the Tx down to watch it "FF" for a while, and sometimes I would try to avoid touching the Tx for as long as possible for fun. Something like this would get my vote.

It was in the back seat of my Jetta when I totalled the car, and not surprisingly took a bit of a beating.. the motor lives on however.

MJD
Old 05-02-2006, 01:28 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW you can still get them here:

http://www.soy.on.ca/viking.html

I might even have to have another one sometime.. hmm.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:10 PM
SGC

BuzzBomber,
I have 1 on a 48" Trainer (similar to a SIG Kadet) , it flies it with authority, it will cruise about at less than 1/2 throttle. I use a Black MAS 8x5" prop. 10% nitro 24% castor fuel.
Enyas are super reliable long lasting motors, mine never deadsticks and hand starts in 1 or 2 flicks, these are not screamers , but will swing a bigger prop better than those that are.
I agree with BM's statement on models.
Stewart
Old 05-02-2006, 02:13 PM
rrragmanliam

Buzz,

I have that exact engine in a HOB Spacewalker .074 - .10 size. It flies OK. I just parked the battery in the turtle deck to ballence at the CG.

Darren
Old 05-02-2006, 02:33 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Matt, I hear the sturgeon anglers are having great success with those ENYA .15s up on the Columbia. They go crazy if you spray some WD40 on right before casting.

I would build something that was,"period correct" for that engine, like a RCM "Lil Toad", sliding servos and all.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
BuzzBomber

Hey CP--C'mon, this Enya is a real SCREAMER, not a slacker like those little Foras you mess around with. That Li'l Toad is pretty nifty, I just looked it up on the RCM page.

The Viking looks like a neat possibility too--I like the idea of a vintage ship. Maybe a Trixter Beam or a Live Wire?

I like the Spacewalker's lines, but I think I personally would be unhappy with this engine on that plane, judging only from my flight with the Laser Stick(which seems happier on an OS .10LA).
Old 05-02-2006, 04:00 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

On another thread I recall seeing that SIG still sells the foam wing for the Colt et al, a group of .15 size 3 channel planes. They all had simple box fuselages. I had a .15-IV that I hung on a Colt. I killed the plane trying to teach myself to fly but I still have the engine. As I recall the plane performed well, I didn't
Old 05-02-2006, 04:58 PM
flyinrog

find a Dakota bipe in that size to put it on...Rog
Old 05-02-2006, 09:14 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Those old Sig foam and wood kits were BRICKS! ! ! ! I had one of the Beavers and once I saw what was in it and how heavy it would be I couldn't sell it fast enough. Lots of folks liked them but my free flight roots just made me shudder to look at it.

A vintage RC like the Beam or Live Wire Champ or Sterling Mambo would be an ideal and campy looking home for one of these.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good question. When you decide what to do with it, let me know. I have the same engine and it has been sitting around for several years waiting for a plane that will probably never be built. Want to build a twin?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:23 PM
jon8889

what sort of weight can an enya .15 III drag - what sort of performance can i get with a 23 oz profile bipe? prop hanging ????

i dont know
thanks
Old 05-24-2006, 08:48 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BB--if you like that Trixter Beam I believe it would be a great choice for that engine. I flew a Livewire Champ on an OS .15 FP and power was fine--that plane was quite a lot bigger than the Beam. In the same vein, the Esquire, Sterling Mambo or Jetco Krackerjack would be excellent. I'd pick the Krackerjack myself because of the almost semi-symmetric airfoil. But any of those would be wonderful on the old Enya .15, and they are all easy scratch building types. Check out the Pond plans service on the AMA site--they are all there.

I love the old plain bearing .15s and those early designs. I always like to keep something like that around to fly at the end of the day--delightful change of pace from faster aileron planes. My Champ is retired, and now I have a Petite Parasol powered by an Enya .09 III with a butterfly baffle coupled to the throttle, circa 1966. Jim
Old 05-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Buzz,

I gotta go with buzzard on this one... one of the Esquires/Tri Squires/Debolt Rebel/Mambo Special... would be perfect...My Dad had a Mambo Special with an old OS .15 on single channel which flew great. Basically, you need a plane that flies on the wing rather than beating a path thru it. Remember the old birds... cause they aren't going to be around a whole lot longer....

Deadstik...
Old 05-24-2006, 09:40 PM
WMB

How about a slightly shrunk Sig Seniorita?
MikeB
Old 05-25-2006, 02:19 AM
johnvb-RCU

I agree with older and slower for an Enya .15. They will turn a 9*4 quite well which most .15s would balk at. I am building an old-timer called a King Burd at the moment which would be very suitable - 56" span, all built up, quite simple construction. The Viking would also be suitable, or a Black Magic. It might just pull a Seniorita around as well.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:38 AM
acr007

Why not put it on the back of this plane with and 8*6 pusher prop... should be fast.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52053.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	466302  
Old 05-25-2006, 09:15 PM
mylamo

Hobby Lobby has the Mini Telemaster. Sheet the fuselage sides and wing center section.
Mini servos, ailerons. Mine weighs 30 ounces but has a much more powerful .15 and flies
great. The Enya would be perfect.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:50 PM
BuzzBomber

Kinda funny you mention that. I've already got one, but it's set up for aerial photography work. I have a camera mount bolted to the side and it's powered by a Hacker outrunner and 3 Lithium cells. I actually thought about bolting the Enya on the nose, but the camera wouldn't like the vibration too much. I'll keep that in mind though, because I plan to move the camera to a different plane in the future.