Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

COX texaco .049

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:17 AM
dennisb64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COX texaco .049

Hi to all,
I'm interested in 1/2a aircrafts where would be a good source for COX texaco .049, to buy them.
Dennis
Old 05-03-2006, 09:26 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: COX texaco .049

Dennis,

Cox no longer lists them on their site. The only tank engine shown is the (new) Babe Bee.

You might check online hobby shops and the auction sites.

George
Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 AM
dennisb64

Hi George,
Do you have .049 engine you might recommend.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
gcb

Dennis,

I thought you were specifically looking for the Texaco. What kind of ship is it for?

George
Old 05-03-2006, 09:48 AM
dennisb64

Hi George, how about the DNU, or Bipeflyers trianer, and Peter Miller Peanut .049 trainer.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:07 PM
gcb

I have not built any of those. I would suggest looking through the threads on those planes. Guys post what they liked and didn't like about a particular engine in their version.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:38 PM
KidEpoxy

I really like the $7 SureStart 049
Haven't flown it yet, but at just $7 it's a bargain even if I never start it.
It's not a tank engine, so you would need to get/make a remote fuel tank and a fuel line to the engine
Old 05-03-2006, 08:16 PM
dennisb64

Hi to all,
Thanks for the advice all hangout in the thread forums for awhile. I had not realized Cox texaco .049 was not being made any more, maybe I could come up with another good engine.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:21 AM
gcb

Dennis,

The Texaco had specific characteristics for a specific purpose. It had a smallish venturi for better fuel economy and ability to draw fuel at lower RPM. It had a glow plug with extra fins to carry off more heat. It would work well with a 7 or 8 inch prop.

If you are just wanting a general purpose engine, the Sure Start is hard to beat. Just before Cox apparently dropped the Texaco and Black Widow, they (as they often do) put out some mix and match versions. The final result is the current Babe Bee, which nowhere resembles the original. It has a plastic backplate and tank with what appears to be the two bypass Sure Start front part. There is a $22. difference in the price.

You did not mention your building skills, but I would suggest the Sure Start and an external tank. If you want it more simple, the Babe Bee offers the internal tank.

Another possibility is buy something from an auction site. Pricewise, however, you won't beat the Sure Start.

Hope this helps a bit.

George
Old 05-04-2006, 09:38 PM
dennisb64

Hi George,
I'm just starting to learn building model aircrafts, sound like COX babe bee .049 would be a good start. Are the COX sure starts really that difficult for beginner ?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:27 PM
lukesp

Dennis, I can't speak for George but my experience with Cox Surestarts is yes, they are fine for beginners. I like them more than the old Babe Bee , they don't have that annoying leak prone tank and they have good power for their size.

The only real downside is they don't have a tank of their own, but that is easily remedied by buying or making one. Besides, how can you go wrong for US $7.00 ? That is cheaper than the glowhead.

I don't know of any engine anywhere for that price new.

Luke.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:44 PM
gcb

ORIGINAL: dennisb64
Hi George,
I'm just starting to learn building model aircrafts, sound like COX babe bee .049 would be a good start. Are the COX sure starts really that difficult for beginner ?
Not at all. Running, of course, is the same as a Babe Bee.

The Sure Start is mounted by four screws through the plastic backplate on the engine. The choke tube sticks back further than the mounting screws. You have several options:

First you can add spacers to the mounting screws. These can be be tubing, washers, etc. thick enough to keep the choke tube off the firewall.

Second, you can build the firewall to include wood spacers (my choice) so the backplate sits against the spacers while providing clearance for the choke tube.

Third, you can remove the choke tube. This would require you to get shorter screws to hold the backplate on, I believe. The engine will run just as well without it but you lose the ability to choke the engine. The choke tube also supports the needle valve. Many, many of these were shipped without a choke tube as a product engine designated "290", so it works. The choke tube was an improvement. If you use this option, I would suggest you also cut the needle valve shorter and use a fuel tubing extension to prevent breaking the needle.

None of these options are difficult. I would suggest option two. Someone may have a better way. In any case, think it out and have a ball. If you can find someone close by to help you, don't hesitate to ask for help. If you have questions along the way, we're here. Someone will answer.

George
Old 05-05-2006, 12:12 AM
dennisb64

Hi Luke and George,
thank you for the response, I do not know of any one at the flying club that is in to 1/2a model aircraft, who has used COX engines, but I'll ask this Saturday if the weather lets us fly, and I'll find out if anybody has done this modification to COX engines, thanks again.
Dennis
Old 05-05-2006, 09:43 AM
KidEpoxy

It really doesn't take more than 2 minutes to make a pair of 3/8" blocks as a shim/standoff for the SureStart with choke. Looking at it in a positive light- now the mount screws have more wood to grab
Old 05-05-2006, 09:29 PM
dennisb64

Hi to all,
I've decided to just go ahead and try COX surestart .049, their on order, and still talk to the guys at the flying field. Thanks again.