Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Medallion .09 questions....

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Medallion .09 questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 10:37 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Medallion .09 questions....

I have a Medallion .09, around late '70's or early '80's vintage, with a throttle sleeve and maybe 30 minutes total run time, if that much. With that in mind, here's a bunch of questions for the Cox experts:

Will that throttle sleeve fit the barrel of the new TD .09 Cox has on sale?
Is it even worth messing with at all for a throttled engine?
Will parts on the new TD work on the older Medallion for spares?
Is there a source for glow heads (I have only one new one spare) for these engines that won't require a second and third mortgage and signing away the first born (on second thought, he's basically a typical teenager and it would probably cost me more that he's worth to have someone take him, so scratch that idea ......).

I know, a lot of questions but if there is enough value to the engine, or lack of parts or just not user friendly for what I want to do with it, I'd rather let it sit, get a Norvel .074 and preserve the Medallion right next to my Arden .099 for future generations to e-bay after I'm gone.

I'm thinking of building a DNU and flying it with the .09 but want the throttle for full house control. I flew it on a Sky Lane 42, but it didn’t really run very well or throttle like I thought it should. Hum… maybe that 10% Red Max I ran it on instead of 25% like I should have been using may have had a tad bit to do with that . I figure with 25% it should do much better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20480.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	461016  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:54 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Medallion .09 questions....

HogFlyer,
You could use the cylinder with the sleeve on a TeeDee.
The sleeve itself won't fit a TeeDee cylinder.
Worth messing with? Oh, why not? Lack of muffling would
deter me however.
I think most parts interchange, I know the cranks are different
and the obviously different venturi parts. Not sure about the
crankcase.
You can drill and tap a glowhead for a regular plug, or get a
Queen Bee head that is set that way already. They fit the 09's.
I could never get much out of the Medallion 09's either.
The TeeDees run great though. Watch for a TeeDee 09 R/C,
somehow I wound up with a few of them!
Dave
Old 05-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

I know, a lot of questions but if there is enough value to the engine, or lack of parts or just not user friendly for what I want to do with it, I'd rather let it sit, get a Norvel .074 and preserve the Medallion right next to my Arden .099 for future generations to e-bay after I'm gone.
Hogflyer --

I'm kinda like you in that some of the COX engines are just getting too expensive to fly. Unless you're running a Galbreath/NELSON setup (mine go on NORVELs) or the Surestart, glowheads and parts are too costly or just non-existant. But, at $30, I wouldn't mind having a TD .09 NIB just for nostalgia (I can hear a big OINK for CP even from the west coast). I figure that COX isn't going to be around much longer, at least as an engine manufacturer. I'm sure many of the folks around here are like me and got their first exposure to flying with a COX engine -- I hate to see them go.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:26 PM
hogflyer

After a lot of thought the Medallion .09 is now in the retired cabinet next to the other retirees. I think when I do build a DNU it’ll be powered by a Norvel .074. I prefer to have a reliable engine, not a questionable one with a lack of spares.

Now I’m thinking about those on sale TD’s. Wonder if it’s worth picking up a couple – one for display and one or two to sell on the bay after they are out of production….
Old 05-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run TD 09's a lot in small CL stunt airplanes. Crankcase pressure, Cox grey 7 x 3.5 prop, Sig Champion 10% nitro 20% 50/50 oil fuel, 55 - 57 ft .012 lines. Favorite engine, powerful and reliable. Now running a Medallion 09, same setup, but 50 ft lines. Looks like it will work out. Have gone to high compression head. No muffler or throttle; sorry about that. A TD 09 is pretty loud, in fact.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:20 PM
hogflyer

Noise is a bit of an issue at the field I'm flying at. Anything above .049/.051 requires a muffler. Since I'm new to the club I think I better play by the rules and keep the un-muffled engines to the .049/.051. I have thought about the .09 since it does look like the TD .049 - just wonder how many may notice the larger size?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Jim Thomerson

The TD 09 is actually a small light 15, not a larger heavier 049. Fire that sucker up and you won't fool anyone. The last version of the TD 09 had a pretty nice looking muffler and throttle. I haven't seen one of those run, but they were using them in pylon race event in the St Louis area several years ago.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:34 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I think when I do build a DNU it’ll be powered by a Norvel .074.
I almost did that! The SS powered one crashed and I stripped the new fuse and put the SS back on it. It crashed on take-off due to stripped servos. AARRRGGH! If you use the built-up wing, use spruce spars and shear webbing. It should work nicely.

Now I’m thinking about those on sale TD’s. Wonder if it’s worth picking up a couple – one for display and one or two to sell on the bay after they are out of production….
Why wait? I saw an ebay link to a $190 TD .010 here in another thread. (got mine at a show for $50)
Old 05-15-2006, 11:46 AM
boberos

Hi Guys,

I have a newer, (90's) version of the Cox 09 RC engine. The one with the combination muffler & rotating sleeve throttle. It has never been run.
Should I expect decent power? Equivalent to what other engine?
Also; What about Glow head replacements & availability?

Thanks,
Bob G
Old 05-15-2006, 11:47 AM
boberos

I should have mentioned in above post. It is the Medallion version.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:35 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Noise is a bit of an issue at the field I'm flying at. Anything above .049/.051 requires a muffler.
That rule will probably change the minute someone fires up a SWR with a C/L combat .049 running 25k+ on open exhaust.. With luck the muffler rule won't extend to .020's and .010's. The first time I fired up a modern combat .049 on 35% nitro and a 4.5" prop on the test stand (after 3 decades running Coxes) I thought to myself that I might start a policy of wearing hearing protection no matter what engine I am running..

MJD
Old 05-15-2006, 03:08 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Hogflyer, here's some inspiration for resaling TD 09's on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cox-Tee-Dee-09-G...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Cox-Tee-Dee-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Cox-Te...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Jim Thomerson

Years ago I ran TD 09's on 25% nitro. I now run them on 10% and think they are more reliable than they used to be, and just as powerful, although the latter perception should be just nostalgia.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:17 PM
dieFluggeister

IMHO the 074 might be a bit much. If you can get your hands on the 061 I think you might be happier. The 074 is great when you need the traction of a 7" prop but that's just not the case for the DNU!, plus you wont get the RPMs and suffer a weight penalty. I have the AME on mine and its really a sweet sporty match. Just my 2 cents....
Old 05-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

hogflyer;

Was searching through the bay and saw this , item #6059177084.

Would probably work with your setup, nod a bad price. Don't know this guy, so nothing in it for me. Just remember reading about your engine here.

I have a few of the .049 , and had a .15 Medallion a few years ago on a Ace R/C/ All star Bipe. That All Star really flew well with that setup, but the .09 is a better balanced motor. Had to pad the receiver better to counter the vibrations from that .15.

Anyway, just a FYI thing, maybe a good reason to use it before the display action starts getting dusty.