Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

DNU!, an update and the story

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

DNU!, an update and the story

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:01 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DNU!, an update and the story

The story: (if you're not interested in the story, jump to the last paragraph for the update)

It goes back to the late Lynn Sypes. I lurked in this forum for a while before posting and read many of his postings. When Flyswatter and I were talking one day, he told me he was looking for something to put a .020 Peewee on. I told him about the 1/2a hotrod commonly referred to as the LS150. (littlest stick 150%) Well, all we got out of it with a peewee was an extended glide, so an .049 went on. It flew, but not like a "stik". The plans were a little wonky because the "littlest stik" was a rudder only design and didn't size up right. After a little thought, I decided to try and make a "stik" that would fit the bill a little better.
Now that the decision has been made, it's time to do some research. The LS plans and the original "stik" plans make it to my desk. Then I notice that ehobbies.com carries the Ace foam wings. Turns out that they've been updated and weigh about half of the originals. Sweet! A quick build option! Using the moments and areas of the original stik, the airfoil of the Ace wings, the DNU comes together quickly and ProBroJoe builds one before the ink is dry.
Turns out that it's a really good flier. This is what would have happened if Phil Kraft and Owen Kampen got together for lunch! (which is basically what happened...without the lunch) Then something strange (to me) happens. More people are building them, some send pictures and some show here in the forum. Several people are first time builders! Every time I look in the pictures folder, I get stunned again. You gotta wonder what Lynn would think about what the LS150 led to.
The plans certainly weren't made for first-timers, but the idea is simple enough and your average modeler is smarter than the average bear, so there have been relatively few questions. So, why update the plans? Hey, maybe we're still missing a few would-be builders! I've added a perspective of the fuselage and the wing bracket. Also, there's a layout of the torque rods. A mini-plan for bubble bottle tanks and the ribs have been rearranged and labeled to make sense.
If you guys have any suggestions for the plans, go ahead and speak up. Take a look at the picture below and see what you think. Bear in mind, the goal is to make the plans as friendly as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12823.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	472402  
Old 06-05-2006, 11:10 AM
brocja01

Default RE: DNU!, an update and the story

Patrick,

As a first time builder with your original DNU plans, I can say that the originals were very well layed out and easy to follow for anyone with some building "common" sense. But with the changes you have made to the plans, I can say that you have cleared up any questions one might have when building the DNU. Just let us know when the new version will be out on your website because I'll make sure to download a set.

Jeremiah
Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 PM
ptulmer

The file on my site has been updated! The pictures on the site itself have not. I'm building a new site anyway, so that'll wait a few days. The plans are now about as detailed as I can get. Torque rod tech is spelled out now too. Also included are some .bmp's of the traditional scheme and a blank. You can play with them in any picture program, even Paint! See your scheme before it's on the airplane! I don't remember who I did them for, but heck, they're in the zip file now![&:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80762.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	472749  
Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't think of any way to improve them. It might be nice to have a dotted outline of the fin/rudder drawn 3/32" smaller for people like me who prefer to laminate curved parts around a form (three strips of 1/32x 1/8).
Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Bolio

Thank you very much, I want to build one soon,
Saludos.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here we are rednecks internationale! Nice job PT
Old 06-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Those plans are looking very good Patrick. As good as any I've ever seen.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:20 AM
D Bronk

I guess ,I`ve been Delayed ,to a Perfect time..Fresh drawings.I`m going to "TEST" them real soon.I`ll use that file for microsoft paint before an actual ,for real,paint job.What year did this plane actually get designed PT ?.I`m curious to learn, a bit more about Lynn SYPES.SEEMS to have left, a very big impression on BIPER, and You,both.Seems, HE was a Great Mentor/Teacher..I`ll have to do some searching one of these days
Old 06-06-2006, 07:45 AM
ptulmer

Vic, when me and Bob get together and start a proper kit business, that's going to be the name!

Bipe, it's your fault. Telling me how to do perspectives has cost me alot of time. Also, look underneath the bubble bottle tank diagram and you'll find your name there. I would have given credit for the epoxy bearing torque rods, but I couldn't remember who came up with that one.

Dave, the story of Lynn Sypes is a sad one. He died way too young. He was a great lover of all things 1/2a and was a great scrounger. If memory serves, he is the one that brought Doculam to us.
The original DNU! thread started 5/17/2005. If you're really, really bored. It can be seen [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2984629/mpage_1/key_das%2Cugly/tm.htm]here[/link].[sm=lol.gif] Looking back, it's surprising to see how little it's changed from post #4.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
eroc144

I think we need to put PT in the 1/2a hall of fame. He's given us a design that is simple, effective, easy to build, easy to fly, and now with these updates the plans are impeccable. How soon until we see a kit on the market? My brother and I have built several DNUs since last summer (mainly 'cuz I keep crashing 'em doing stupid stuff) and it's amazing how fast they go together and how well they fly!

EG
Old 06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Bipe, it's your fault. Telling me how to do perspectives has cost me alot of time. Also, look underneath the bubble bottle tank diagram and you'll find your name there.
Wow, I didn't notice that there![sm=cool.gif] You spelled my name wrong though.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 06-06-2006, 01:54 PM
flyswatter

pt:

Good job! I think even I wouldn't modify a plan that nice! (That is probably a lie!)
Old 06-06-2006, 02:25 PM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

.....You spelled my name wrong though.[sm=lol.gif]
Err... Your website was pulled up so I wouldn't make that mistake![sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I'll get right on that![sm=lol.gif] I wish I knew who to credit the "epoxy torque rod bearing" to! I can't even remember what thread that was in.

Eroc, kits may be coming soon. If we start a 1/2a hall of fame, there would be so many of the greats in there that my single little plan wouldn't even be noticed. It's really amazing to look back and see how many of the really unique model airplanes were 1/2a. Way more than were .40 or .60! I do appreciate the sentiment, though!

Flyswatter, your Sopwith Monocamel was close enough that we're going to let you slide... just this once, though![>:]
Old 06-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Bipe Flyer

I remember reading about the "epoxy torque rod bearing", but I can't remember who originally posted it.

EDIT: Found it in these posts.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3326761
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3548005
Old 06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
ptulmer

I need a nap or something. I looked right at that GLAMF thread and missed the credit given to Clean! (now I gotta find out who he is!) Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:48 PM
bsindel

For some reason I thought it was combat pig that came up with the epoxy bearing idea.
Wouldn't trust my memory though as it sometimes leaks like a sieve. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Still waiting for a place to build..........
Bill S. (the other Bill)

Bipe is too quick on the edit......old memory sucks - told ya I did
Old 06-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Bipe Flyer

I thought it was Combatpigg too, that's how I managed to find it.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Sneasle

Hey guys. I am trying to find my CAD version of the DNU plans, but am not having any luck. Can someone help me out?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:16 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I thought of the epoxy bearing idea, a long time ago.........or it could have come from the millions of plans that I've looked at over the years. If I remember right, I tried it, the rods got stuck, and I put the idea away. The idea reminds me of something that either Dan Rutherford, Dick Mathis or Dick Sarpoulos would come up with.
MR. CLEAN, [from Missouri?] was the guy to post the idea here, though. He was also the guy who started the 1/2A thread to end all 1/2A threads about 3 years ago, it was about how having long intake stacks increase rpm. It kicked off a lot of emotional bickering and BS that went back and forth. This happened when I was just getting acquainted with the 1/2A forum, and I thought this was just normal stuff. COOL!! [X(]!! Bruce and Bill had to both enter the donnybrook and snuff out the flames. [&o]
The other day when I saw the length of the LiteMachines .061s' stack, then thought about the highest revving COX .049 I've ever seen [the Devil Engine], with its' long and large intake, it reminded me of that thread. I'll bet RCU deep sixed that thread, but it really was a classic.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:48 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good PT! I have one question - I understand you don't need a lot of aileron on 1/2A's to get a good roll rate, but what is the roll rate like on the DNU?

Many moons ago I designed and built a little Stik-ish 1/2A model, and did everything I could to keep it light, as in 1/32" ribs, capstrips, and D-box sheeting. The fuse was all 1/16" and tissued for some strength. The wing airfoil came directly from an old (Top Flite?) Combat Kitten 1/2A ukie but seems similar to a NACA 0015, 32" span. This was my first aerobatically-oriented (say that after 6 beers with a mouthful of crackers) 1/2A design, and it indeed came out very light, although I never have put it on a scale I estimate 10-11 oz. Boy was I surprised when I first launched it - I used my best Black Widow on a 5-3 and 25%, and it shot out of my hand. I quickly realized I was a bit generous on the control throws, but it was manageable. What a dream, it flew like stink, rolled like it was on rails, and could be yanked harder around a turn without effort than any aircraft I had ever flown (light helps, don't it?!) and to boot after cut out I have even managed to thermal it a bit. I let a club member fly it who was a 1/2A fan, and he said it was the best flying 1/2A he'd ever flown. Still have it, I should measure it up and sketch out plans. It still lives, but I should upgrade the R/C equipment as I could probably knock off almost another ounce - I used 225mAh NiCad, Futaba micros (what were those, S225's or something?) and a standard Rx. With the smaller equipment I have nowadays I could probably skinny up the fuselage. I could weigh it oo come to think of it, I have a scale now.

The only problem with the design is that it was pretty, well, "plain".. not a coyote ugly double-bagger but not exactly a high school sweetheart either. Could be my wonderful choice of finish colors too.. Picasso I ain't.

MJD
Old 07-07-2006, 11:07 AM
ptulmer

With the 1/2" ailerons on the plan it rolls nice enough. I've updated the plans, then lost the updated version and am in the process of figuring out all the fixes. Anyway, the new plans will show 3/4" ailerons. Both will have close to the same roll rate. I've never timed a roll, but quick is a good description. IIRC the Ace airfoil is the NACA0015 also! It sounds like we have pretty close to the same airplane!
Mine came in at twelve ounces with a cut down Ace wing and was able to thermal over a cornfield once. That was neat and totally unexpected. The beauty (to me) is the simplicity and flight performance rather than looks. Mine would turn waaaay inside anything else at the field. I tied a streamer on it and filled the one ounce tank up. It took a long time to run that tank out and when it landed, the streamer was still full length. When somebody got close, I'd take'em down low and they'd chicken out. I couldn't outrun anything, but they would have plowed a furrow trying to stay behind me!