Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Update on P-51 and DNU

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Update on P-51 and DNU

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Sneasle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on P-51 and DNU

ok, since no one seems to liek it when i update the other threads, ill make a new one and see if i can get the questions answered here before they die.

Ok. i have the OS la .15 on order from tower. along with 2 4oz haynes fuel tanks. got both becuase im unsure which will fit better. i also got 2 different engine mounts so i can pick the better fit between the two.

that leaves the only bit of on board equip left that i need as a sevro tray i need to build for the hs-81's that are on order from hobbylobby and the flight batttery.

i do have a question though. I want to try and keep as much of my fuel system internal as possible, and i dont want to have to take the front end apart just to refuel. can anyone recommend an easy way to do an external fueling system for a plane this small? something that is lightweight?. i was thinking runnign a brass tube through the exhaust stack.... but fuel could leak out of that during flight..

also, are their any pointers i should follow when breakign this engine in? anythign specific? fuel, prop, special way to mount, three taps on the head for good luck? anythign at all?

what about after break in. what props would ya'll recommend? for speed? for stability/control?

i want to make this thing kinda scale looking. does anyone have an pictures of p-51d panel lines that you coudl send me? i plan on taking a ruler and drawign them in with a fine tipped pen and then clear coating over it.

can anyone recommend a clear coat that is fuel proof? will need to protect my panel lines and paint work that is on top of the covering.

are their any companies that make a pitts muffler for .15 engines? or some other smaller profile muffler?

for the DNU, my engine (big mig 061 r/c) is on backorder and will mostly likely be awhile. so this leaves me with the problem of finding a substitute engine that is close enough in weight so i can get this think in the air asap.....

i know what scheme i am goign to use, just trying to find a copy place in town with a laser color printer...

i have servos and electronics for it, only need a flight batttery for it... well.. and an engine..

with an 061 on the front, is the DNU more likely to be nose heavy? or tail heavy?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:45 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Update on P-51 and DNU

So many questions! The .15la is a great engine. Not ground-pounding, earth-shattering powerful, but it does nicely with an 8x4 or 7x6 prop. Follow OS's directions for break-in. I don't remember the actual procedure, but it was painless. A fuelproof clear coat is easy. Use Top Flite Lusterkote spray. It'll work fine for that engine/fuel combo.

Will an .061 make the DNU! noseheavy? It might. If you use a 270mah nicd all the way up front. Naw, you should have plenty of adjustment with the battery to set the CG.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Sneasle

these are the 5 props that i currently have in close to that size range...

2x 8x4 top flite wood power point
a black MA g/f 3 series k0840
a blue MA 8x3
a blue MA g-0830

so im thinking go with either the black or the wood ones?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:41 AM
efish

Hi Sneasle, I had a DNU with an AP 0.061 Wasp. Great plane that I put at least 4 tanks through on an almost daily basis.

Used a light lipo for the RX, but the plane still balanced. Actually, I think the Wasp is more than enough engine for the DNU. The Norvel is nicer and more powerful, but I think the DNU doesn't need it. I've found the Wasps to be good reliable engines at about half the price of a Norvel. Now I have 2 Wasps and 3 Norvels and I'm planning to build another DNU - the engine of choice for me would still be the Wasp.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:08 AM
ptulmer

Efish makes a good point. The DNU (and most everything else I do) was designed to perform with a reedie. Norvels of any type are overkill. Seven dollar surestarts are plenty. Throttled AP is OK. (assuming you get one that runs)
I'd start with the black prop. They are a little more resilient.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Sneasle

ok. that sounds good.. once i make a list of everything else i need i'll make another order from tower.

i spent about 3 hrs yesterday redoing the covering on the wingtips of the p-51. alot of time, and i only got one tip done, but it looks a heck of a lot better and doesnt have anywhere cloase to as many wrinkles as it used to. heck, it only has.. like, 2, and they are from overlaps in the covering.

invasion stripes are painted. i will start covering the fuse tnight once i finish the other wingtip.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Sneasle

anymore answers to my other questions?