Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

My 1/2A Reedie Racer

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

My 1/2A Reedie Racer

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:58 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 1/2A Reedie Racer

OK guys here is my new Reedie Racer design for Rog's upcoming Carolina 1/2A Crew's flyin. I mentioned at the last flyin I had picked up the pre-shaped wing panel from Sig and was going to try to build a racer out of it. Here it is the Boomerang! All up weight is just over 8 oz less finish but with engine and prop, Perfect 1/2oz metal tank,150mA pack and switch harness, mini (Full Range) receiver and 2ea HS55s. I still hope to sand a few more grams off and most likely paint with dope and talc power to keep her light. I could have save a bit of weight on the fuselage but added 1/32 light ply stiffeners to the sides for strengths. Remember in order to win a race you must be able to bump the ground a few times and still fly!! What are you guys bringing to fly?

Bob Harris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58463.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	492697  
Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My 1/2A Reedie Racer

Bob,

Looks real nice! Like you would build anything that is less than perfect! Is that an old school GloBee head and Goldberg nylon motor mount? When you get a minute PM me your address. My UPS computer bombed on me and it had your address stored in it.

I got off my butt this past weekend and have started to get some projects done too. I got my other reed racers done so all it needs now is its maiden flight. It's another famous Tim Wiltse porker coming in at 9.5 oz's ready to fly. I am trying something different for a fuel tank. I am using one of those Advantx(? spelling) film cans. It has a pop on lid but is oval instead of round like a regular film can. It let me pull the noses in alittle so the fuse is not so square. We'll see how it goes maybe one night this week. Next I am pulling the Miss Conduct down and getting her finished to see if she'll fly...or crash and burn!!!

Later,
Tim

Name:	Ec87501.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	492710  
Old 07-17-2006, 03:14 PM
BobHH

Yep, Tim those are old Goldberg mounts. Yep, I have a few Glowbee heads still in the parts pile! The nose is just wide enough to fit. I also made it tall enough for the Hitec receivers. After all those crashes on the micro receivers and all the hits I get with mine I decided to go with a full range receiver for safety. I also have been working on some other 1/2A goodies and will post as they get closer to looking like a model!! I see you have been working also. Hopefully we can have a good turn out at Rog's flyin.

Bob Harris
Old 07-17-2006, 04:08 PM
dieFluggeister

Aw man is it that time already? Seems like I was just humiliated from the last one.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:38 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Suprising you should mention this! I framed up the wing on my "Crackhead Rivets" last Friday night.[>:] Rog, I made an additional R1 to put in the center area so I have something for the spars to mount into and support an aileron servo. When I get back home (i'm in Clinton till Thurs[sm=tired.gif]) I am going to start on the fuse. Yessiree Wre auh goinaa haf ah mosht excerent time in a teenth mounth.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:03 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

ninth month 9-30-06...crackhead! lol...man in brown just left my house, brought me a GEE BEE .25 ARF and a new windsheild for my honda Helix...got a few things I'm workin on myself,,...Bob..nice lookin speedster ya got there...Rog
Old 07-17-2006, 08:36 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Rog, ebay all those kits you have sitting around and buy a Ferrari.

Extremely nice bird there, Bob. Amazing what you have time for when you're not packing kits, huh?[sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-17-2006, 08:46 PM
vicman

OAAhhh, Very fonny skoota boy! Sho you shayy a nine mounth. Mosh excerrent situashon fo da Revvah Brouddah! He hava meet on a reft croas in a ten mounth, your mos wrecome announceement fit soshal carenduh purfecrie.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 07-17-2006, 11:04 PM
BobHH

Yep Patrick I seem to have more free time these days instead of packing kits. I did finish up the Trainer Master (VRCS Model for 2007) for Dan this week so he should be offering the kit soon. As for projects I have been working on several. A few 1/2As for the meet. A big Christian Eagle for Rog's club giant flyin the week before and my own 1/4 scale DH88 Comet which I have been working on for about 4 years now. 11 foot wing! Never knew the kit business took up so much time!! You were right!!!!

Bob Harris
Old 07-18-2006, 07:12 AM
flyinrog

OOPPS, Bob the giant meet is now 2 weeks before mine so you just lost a week, 09-16-06...sorry I would have said something sooner but I didnt think any of the crew would be going...good thing you brought it up!..Vic, dude I got everything but the "reft croas"??? your gonna have to go english on me for that one is that left cross or raft class?wait is it left coast? you goin bacvk out to CP's hood?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:07 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Rog, ebay all those kits you have sitting around and buy a Ferrari.

Extremely nice bird there, Bob. Amazing what you have time for when you're not packing kits, huh?[sm=lol.gif]
I was actually looking at Ferrari's in Ca about a year ago when some yuppy ***** reporter decided to tell the world that 1970's 308's could be had for under $20,000 and in a day the price pretty much doubled...there went that dream...for 8k I can get a kit to make my miata look like a a a a well a ferriata,I only rode in a real one once, not much leg room. the guy that owned it only kept it for a few months, he took it to be cleaned and that guys kid took it out joy riding all day., put like 100 miles on it giving all his friends rides in it,my buddy was PO'ed..he traded it for a VW something...[X(]
Old 07-18-2006, 09:06 AM
vicman

The revvers are having a get togeather similar to ours in October. Indeed you Chiaenglish is pretty good it was left coast. Only this time I will be a thousand miles south of CP[&o]. He should come down there too, he would have a blast.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:52 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Bob,I hope you make the giant scale.I want to see that bipe!I have got to stick some wood together or Rog is going to disown me,lol.[X(]
Old 07-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Banjo,

You should know that Rog won't disown you he will just beat you silly with the wing from his Cox Spyder

Later,
Tim
Old 07-18-2006, 11:38 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Yeah,if he could find it under all his kits.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:38 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

Banjo,

You should know that Rog won't disown you he will just beat you silly with the wing from his Cox Spyder

Later,
Tim
ITS THE FUSE man the fuse..get it right !! I could beat someone to death with it!! BA hasnt seen it yet,,I could put the ole spyder back together...or keep it as a weapon of mass destruction..[>:] so hows your Rivets coming along? hmmmmmmm...Rog
Old 07-19-2006, 09:58 PM
vicman

Here ya go Rog
Notice the two center ribs, they are the ones I cut for some support in the center. I am also going to add a shear rib between the center ribs. Can you take a pic of your aileron/servo connection for me? It may keep me from screwing up. I plan to cut them out tomorrow night.

Name:	Fd91121.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	493894  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:54 PM
BobHH

Vic, looks great! Glad to see someone building another Rivets. Maybe we can get Rog's in the air next meet. The aileron should use 1/16 torque rod wire with hollow threaded rod soldered on so you can use the Dubro 1/2A aileron nylon connector. Cut the complete aileron out then cut the center section loose. Hollow out with a piece of 1/6 wire on these pieces where the torque rods sits as well as the mating surface to the wing. Put a wee bit of vasaline on the wire, slip into place and lightly CA it back to the rear trailing edge. Be very sparily with the CA so you don't glue the torque rod also!! Presto! a aileron linkage!!

Bob Harris
Old 07-20-2006, 07:52 AM
vicman

Thanks Bob, that was kinda where I was going with it. How about a shot inside the fuse where the batt, rx, and elevator servo would like to be mounted? Tonight I hope to get the aileron servo mount blocks, top sheeting and wingtip blocks glued into position. Next week Fuse time. Did you notice the vicmanized leading edge?[>:]
Old 07-20-2006, 08:25 AM
BobHH

Well Vic, Rog's has the only model I built. Swapped it to him at BARKS. I seem to remember I used a 110mA pack in the nose with the full size Hitec receiver from a Focus II radio. The elevator servo needs to be mounted so it will not interfere with the aileron linkage. The original design had a bell crank at the rear of the fuselage to operate the elevator. In haste I just ran a 1/16 wire from the elevator through the top of the fuselage to the servo. Not too pretty but it worked. You going with a tank mount .049 or separate tank? Remember I test flew the Rivets at the Reedie Race last year. Its second flight was the first race heat!!! Not much time for tweaking!!!

Bob Harris
Old 07-20-2006, 09:26 AM
vicman

Wake up Rog!!! I need a few pics[8D].
Bob, I am hoping to be able to swap out a reedie and a TD to play in both classes. I plan to use your cool bladder tank idea.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Bob,

You just make it look too easy! I had no idea that day was it'sonly second flight. Gees that thing flew so nice...rather you sure flew it on rails. I got the engine screwed on last night and I wimped out and rubberbanded the wing on...boy does that look ugly now. Brought it into work again today and weighed it. The stupid thing is a whopping 10.25 oz[:@]

What do these things all have in common...my 95' 9C1 Caprice.....Roseanne Barr...this airplane..

.....they all weigh a ton[X(]

Later,
Tim

Name:	Hf99722.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	494112  
Old 07-20-2006, 10:21 AM
vicman

No worries Tim. I am sure it is capable of taking a shark face
Old 07-20-2006, 10:40 AM
dieFluggeister

"Does this airplane make me look fat?"

Sheesh... 10-11oz is still great. I'm sure it'll rock Tim!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:07 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Another thing it has in common with the G-ride... if it ain't fast, chrome it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.