Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

NW 1/2A RACING SEASON !!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NW 1/2A RACING SEASON !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:49 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: NW 1/2A RACING SEASON !!!

I took a few minutes to tach 8 of these motors with the Hobbico prop. Most of them turned in excess of 20-22,000, but a couple of oinkers brought up the rear at 15-16,000. The test was done with a 700 mah, 2 cell lipo pack. Interesting that there isn't more uniformity. I'm in the process of building my version of the adrenaline rush, but with more wing area and a built up wing. If time permits, a vacuformed fairing for the radio gear, too.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Ragwing
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

22k - Wow! Shows you how much my poor motor suffered at my hands. Time for a fresh motor I guess....
Old 09-10-2006, 01:34 AM
combatpigg

Derek, what I didn't mention is that in the first few seconds there is a 25,000 rpm burst, then the battery must be limiting current after the overcharge burns off. I haven't done any amp readings yet, but this must be what is going on. Yes, I hate to say it but it looks like you will need to buy 10 motors or so to have a handfull of runners. I also ran a much heavier E-Flite can motor on the same prop and only got 14,000 rpm, so these J250s are pretty hot for the money.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:53 PM
scudrunner77

I had no idea these motors were turning that kind of RPM. No wonder they need a drop of of oil on the bushings once in a while. Wonder what they will do on 11.1 volts..?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:36 PM
combatpigg

It would be fun to try one of the "dogs" on 3 cells, you could rig a third cell for a quick JATO boost on the stretch run to the finish line. The guy at the hobby store says the can motors won't last long on 11 volts. I found some very thin wall kite tubing that has a tapered diameter. It is so thin that I doweled it at the motor end. This plane that I'm showing weighs 4.6 ozs RTF with the 470 mah pack. It is similar to the adrenaline rush, but it has 120 sq " of wing area. The wings' LE and spar are spruce. The control surfaces are top hinged with scotch tape [applied top and bottom]. It flies real nice, and is easier to fly with precision than the flying wing. The battery straps to the underside similar to the way you would rubberband a wing on, I am using a pair of 1/8x3/16 spruce sticks. The plane has several flights on it, and it lands very slowly, the only ding all day was from a hay straw that poked a hole in the covering. I tried my best to get the wing to fold, and it hung in there, all it has for a spar is 1/8x3/16 spruce with a same sized spruce joiner in the center rib bay. The only odd material on the plane is the balsa sawdust & CA fillets that anchor the major components to the kite tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39781.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	522240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66418.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	522241   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28074.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	522242  
Old 09-11-2006, 12:11 AM
scudrunner77

Hey that's pretty sweet! I see that your set up is so clean this time around that you gave us multiple angels. Even with a larger battery that would still be an ounce lighter them my racer. I would have to think that your wing is much lighter then a sheet wing. Although a SW should be thinner... I look forward to going head to head on Saturday... should be interesting. And with rounds of 1/2A combat and racing the down time for charging should go by pretty quick.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Ragwing

Glad to hear your latest model is a sucess CP, it looks good too. Your model has almost twice the wing area that my v1 racer had, how does the speed compare to your delta? I was shooting for something closer to 100 square inches for v2, mostly by increasing the aspect ratio while only slighly broadening the root chord. I'll use 3/16" balsa instead of 1/4" this time too. Wish I could be around this weekend to fly with you guys - have a great time!

Derek
Old 09-12-2006, 07:55 PM
combatpigg

Derek, The speed is pretty good. A light weight fairing might help though. What I like most is being able to fly a short course, and being able to slow down for landings that don't require maintenance afterwards! The framework on this one is flimsy, so warps have to be checked after covering. If me and SR77 are too lazy to move the poles, then it looks like 1/2A racing will be done on a 150 foot long course.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CP, that's a very cool model. It looks like a blast to fly. Is that a Berg rx? I just got two of those and am really impressed with the quality. Looks like your battery connectors weigh more than the rx!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:47 PM
combatpigg

rainedav, thanks for the complement, but the fun part about flying these planes [for me] has to do with the racing, otherwise I think it is pretty dull, it goes up, down, left, right........ the controls are set for a very slow roll, pitch control is set a little sharper for yanking it around the poles. Some of the excitement is missing because of the silence. I'm sure if you are racing high powered electrics, they are pretty exciting......these little racers are an exercize in concentration, and me and SR77 spent a couple of heats last week trading the lead back and forth every lap, so in its' own way, these planes can be exciting.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 PM
scudrunner77

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

If me and SR77 are too lazy to move the poles, then it looks like 1/2A racing will be done on a 150 foot long course.
I have no idea how fast Pylon Plunder is, but assuming at least 75mph it would take 1.36 seconds pole to pole [:-] Looking back of some video footage from last year. Your Mustang was going pole to pole in about 2 seconds and 6 seconds total per lap. Do you remember how far apart those poles where??

Old 09-13-2006, 12:05 AM
combatpigg

I think the poles were 70 paces apart. I set up a 315 foot long timing zone this summer, and my fastest delta with the K&B 6.5 covered it several times in about 1.25 seconds, each pass. It would be interesting to do some timing runs with the 1/2As, but it takes 3 people.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:36 AM
scudrunner77

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I set up a 315 foot long timing zone this summer, and my fastest delta with the K&B 6.5 covered it several times in about 1.25 seconds, each pass.
Dang that's fast!

So are we on for tomorrow? I got my racing fleet ready...[>:] Bringing the combat wing too...[>:]..[>:]

Name:	Ec89424.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	524777  
Old 09-16-2006, 12:54 AM
combatpigg

Yes, it looks like we're gonna have a full day, you're putting together a nice array of planes there! We might be able to clock the planes, it would be easier if I got a pair of headphones for my cell phone, to help keep both hands on the xmitter. C'mon up anytime you're ready!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:41 AM
scudrunner77

Good idea with the headphones...wish I had a set.

I'll head up in the morning... probably be there around 10AM, OK?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:11 AM
combatpigg

In spite of the weathermans' predictions of bad weather, we had a perfect day.........a perfect day to wreck about 4 planes, that is. We started with the J250 racers and flew about 4 heats. We were within less than a 1/2 second of each other every race, at the finish line. Very good racing! The 10 lap heats take almost exactly 2 minutes to complete, or 12 seconds per lap.
Then we decided to get our squirrelly little glow powered SWRs out and things started to go down hill from there. We had some fun, some good, fast action, but these planes aren't as "raceable" as they are just plain fast. SR77 and I have decided to create a uniform glow design that is 150 sq inches, will have a yet to be determined minimum length from the back side of the prop to the elevator hinge line, will be AP .061 powered with muffler pressure and will probably look like a scaled down Q500. Basically an uncowled, boxxy, simple plane with the intent to emphasize fine control and stability over all out speed. I'm figuring something like 5"x30" for the wing.
We have had days of far less wreckage flying combat...... SR77 is learning the ropes........he hit the pylon ropes a few times today, cutting those corners too tight. We had a nice heat going with a couple of 1/2A racers but had a very solid midair...it was surprising to see how easy both planes will be to fix. I had a battery unplug itself during one race and the plane was stuck doing banked circles for about a minute, drifting further away from us. It ran out of fuel and landed gently in the confines of our field, about a quarter mile away. Another flight ended without incident, but after refueling it was found that an aileron servo had died....must have quit during the final dead stick appeoach. There were times when we were very lucky, but then the law of averages began to equal everything out [&o]

Name:	Ig11913.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	525363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21596.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	525364  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:26 AM
scudrunner77

Oh the carnage! I really do think today was full of unusual events... A midair, hitting pylons, and a hawk attacking my plane.
As I mentioned in the Hornet thread- I learned today that the fasted way around the course is not through the pylons and definitely not through your opponent. I wish someone had a camera on the planes when they collided and then on our faces as we stood there in shock. I'm working on a conspiracy theory... something about CP having electro magnets hidden in the poles that he can turn on with an extra channel on his TX...[8D] that's it. That's why all my planes were so attracted to those poles.

Please don't let these pictures discourage anyone from trying a little racing. Just fly above the poles and you will be fine....trust me.

Name:	Hf10251.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	525366  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:39 AM
scudrunner77

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHMK2&P=7

Here's that prop that would turn 20K on the AP. Pretty spendy though.... $2.04 more that the 4.2 x 4. Any idea why?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:05 AM
combatpigg

It is probably their competition series for 1/2A pylon, the 200 sq inch planes. Maybe that is what we should build instead of the 150 inchers? We need to get going on the AMA legal planes if we are going to be ready for this season at SRAC.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:24 PM
scudrunner77

That sound like a good idea... might as well make them legal for the nonrenagade events as well..... BUT..... I was reading the AMA rules for 1/2a racing. The plane would be a real pig in my opinion. I know we have talked about the 20oz rule, but the wing also has to be 3/4 inch thick. The fuse has to be 3 1/2" deep, and the engine has to be front intake with no bigger than .051 So what does that leave you with.... COX TD and maybe an 049 Norvel if you can find one, Oh and no pressurized fuel systems. Basically my hornet would have fit the mold as long as I added 3 oz of lead to it.

Do you know if SRAC has revised these rules??
Old 09-18-2006, 05:57 PM
combatpigg

SRAC has relaxed the rules. 16 ozs is the min. weight. Minimum cross sectional dimensions of 2.25"x3.5" is the same as Q500s' fuselage, this is a 20 year old misprint in the AMA rule book. I contacted Ray Stubbs at SRAC, and he is going to email the guidelines for construction. The wing has to be .75" thick measured 3 inches from each wing root, from there you can taper it. I need to have SRAC fill me in on the fuselage minimums, then pencil can hit paper. first race is a month from now.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 PM
scudrunner77

Where do they race?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

NW Dudes,

This will be just a short interruption to thank you for bringing up the J250 motors. I flew one pusher (Albacorde) and one tractor (Baby Bee) model with them this weekend and for two bucks each - ther'ye pretty cool. I used 900 Mah, 2-cell packs. The albacorde was nose heavy and I decided to delay further testing until I decide how I want to modify the front end. Looked neat on overhead passes.

The Baby Bee finally lived up to its heritage. The "stock" motor motor would hardly keep it in the air. But I was able to take off from our close cropped grass runway and did several touch 'n goes as well as standard RME aerobatics. That one will get a LOT of use.

I read in one of the forums about lubricating both ends of the shaft before each run - very good advice. If nothing else the improved sound is worth the effort. I used one of those "hypodermic" oilers that the car guys use.

Anyway, thanks CP and da boyz. (FWIW, the Funky Fighter will likely be my next project - for combat y' know.)
Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 PM
combatpigg

Ray, thank Bipeflyer for bringing the J250 deal to our attention. SR77 and I have flown about 6 or 7 heats with those planes and all have been right down to the wire, regardless of model design.

SR77, SRAC is right where hwy 2 & 9 intersect, leaving Snohomish and going towards my house. I emailed our AMA rep today about updating the 1/2A pylon rules, so that guys don't have to compete with 20 oz lead sleds that have the same cross sectional dimensions of a Q 500. The AMA rulebook is killing this sport, if certain clubs and individuals look at the rules, roll their eyes, then turn the page. They also fly combat at SRAC, but last time I flew there it was .25 powered SPADS, or .15 powered WWII fighter planes built from 36" span kits. I used to fly with 1/2A balsa kits of the MUSTANG and it was a sight to see 5 or 6 planes up at the same time. If you want to be practical, foam is the only way to go for this event, and don't spend alot of time on the finished appearance!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:44 PM
combatpigg

I got all the specs for building a legal plane, as far as SRAC is concerned. The wing must maintain at least 3/4" of thickness, 3 inches either side of the fuselage side. In other words, with a 2 inch wide fuselage, the center 8 inches worth of wing has to have a 3/4" thickness. Then afterwards, I figured the idea is to taper the thickness down as quick as possible towards the tips. So the foam core is done in 3 sections, and the 1/16" balsa skin has to conform to compound curves. The root airfoil is semi symetric, and it transitions to a flat bottom foil at the tips. like the BabyBirdy wing. This wing is 34"x6", to meet the 200 sq inch minimum.

Name:	Pn37043.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	528603  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.