Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

old engines

Old 07-29-2006, 04:36 PM
traxxboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old engines

Hello, I am new to small airplanes and someone gave me a whole bunch of old engines. The most interesting is a ttwin exaust engine made by gilbert. I dont know the size but it has a 7 on the side. the carb is behind the head. I want to get into this part of the hobby. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:59 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: old engines

http://www.virginiahobbysport.com/

you can still buy the Gilbert .11...havent seen a .7, what else did you get..there is a lot of info on that site and here too, welcome...Rog
Old 07-29-2006, 06:13 PM
traxxboy

well I got something called a wen mac mk111 .049, fox .10 both missing carbs and a mcoy .049 with out a head or a carb. That is all the little engines I also got a supertigre .20 and a 0.s .20. Thanks for the reply
Old 07-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Wayne C

Although Gilbert engines are still available "new," they have actually been sitting in shops and warehopuses for several years. It truly is an older engine. When your are not in a thread there should be "search all forums" option near the top of the page. Enter your engine types and find lots of information. If your an engine guy who likes older stuff you've happened into a handful of fun. If your not so much an engine guy you might consider getting a complete 1/2a sized engine to go ahead and get flying. If the .20 engines are complete and operable you might find you really like them.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:20 PM
traxxboy

well I love engines and airplanes. I will probably put the gilbert in some small airplane.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:19 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: traxxboy
Hello, I am new to small airplanes and someone gave me a whole bunch of old engines. The most interesting is a ttwin exaust engine made by gilbert. I dont know the size but it has a 7 on the side. the carb is behind the head. I want to get into this part of the hobby. Thanks in advance.
The Gilbert .07 and the Gilbert .11 were made (by Fox, I think) for the AC Gilbert toy company just before AC Gilbert went belly up. Polks was handling the engines at the time. Both came as a stand-alone engine, the .07 was in at least one RTF, a model ultralite with pusher prop. I got several of these on a close-out at Polk's.

They ran well (in either direction), although some have a flywheel type spring starter that prevents running backwards. It was intended as a beginner engine, with the needle valve in back.

The top engine facing left is an .11, the others are .07's. The close up is an .07.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35574.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	499638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32585.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	499639  
Old 07-31-2006, 11:47 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a pic of the Pusher if you still have one?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gcb

ORIGINAL: traxxboy
The Gilbert .07 and the Gilbert .11 were made (by Fox, I think) for the AC Gilbert toy company just before AC Gilbert went belly up. Polks was handling the engines at the time. Both came as a stand-alone engine, the .07 was in at least one RTF, a model ultralite with pusher prop. I got several of these on a close-out at Polk's.

They ran well (in either direction), although some have a flywheel type spring starter that prevents running backwards. It was intended as a beginner engine, with the needle valve in back.

The top engine facing left is an .11, the others are .07's. The close up is an .07.

George

The manufacturer of these motors was not Fox. They were made by Dynamic motors owned by Hi Johnson. Obviously they were made for a price and came out in the 60's as I think that Gilbert went out of business about 66 67, don't hold me to that as a hard and fast date.Polks bought up a large supply of the remaining motors and was selling them at bargan prices. I bought a few of them from Polks at the WRAMS show in the 80's for $5.00 apiece. That included the motor,tank, wrench and a spare plug. That was what they were worth then, today it is worth what the market will bear.
Quality was so -so and obviously they were made to run only on a fuel with large amounts of castor oil. Don't expect long life with modern synthetic fuels. Your motor can be ruined beyond redemption with one lean run on modern fuels..
They were fun and are a reminder of a simpler time.
Dennis