Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

AP .061 Engine, looking for information

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP .061 Engine, looking for information

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:56 AM
guitardude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP .061 Engine, looking for information

I have an almost finish Baby Birdy 1/2A plane (no longer manufactured) of which I was thinking of converting to electric until I found the AP .061 engine on Tower Hobbies website. It looks like it would be a great little engine for the plane, I've already got a fuel tank and engine mount, but I don't know anything about AP engines.

Have any of you purchased this an AP .061, and if so how do you like it. To me it looks EXACTLY like the Norvel .061, and I considered the Norvel but I can't seem to find anyone that sells the Norvel .061 engine.

Any help would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks!

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSD22&P=ML]AP .061 - Tower Hobbies[/link]
Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: AP .061 Engine, looking for information

The AP .061 is a knockoff of the Norvel. It has alittle less power than the Norvel but I would think it would fly your plane fine just the same.

Later,
Tim
Old 08-02-2006, 10:00 AM
treedog

Check this site out for norvels i was there last week and they had all sizes and a sale guitardude
http://www.lonestar-models.com/
Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 AM
D Bronk

see the thread Norvel availability, near the top ,4 posts down ..I tried to make an order there, and Lou had me phone her..She basically told me, I was S.O.L, on everything on my list .Was I B.S.d???
Old 08-02-2006, 11:00 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Hi guitardude, I have 2 AP 0.061s and both the Big Mig and AME versions of the Norvel 0.061. Can't say I have a great deal of exprience with RC or engines, but I have enjoyed all these engines with no problems at all.

The AP Wasps were a great buy at half the price of the Norvels. It's true, they're not as powerful nor as well made as the Norvels, but they're great little engines on their own and have worked flawlessly for me.

2 suggestions I can pass on are to check and recheck all screws before break in (both of mine had at least 1 loose somewhere out of the box that caused an airleak). On my Wasps, I have changed both the plug and the head over to the current Norvel versions. Cost and performance is similar, but the present Norvel heads let you use a regular glow starter and so save me from carrying a different starter. (same starter starts my truck, big planes and heli)
Old 08-02-2006, 09:09 PM
treedog

Ok found a new site u might want to check out for norvel availability
https://www.quicktechhobby.com/
john reece just put a order in for a .061 rc sport and it went thru so far
Old 08-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy Smokes!!![X(] Are those current prices -- they're higher than SIG's advertised pricing.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:20 AM
D Bronk

LOL.. makes me wonder, what`s in store, for future price gougeing. Sigs site, was, the most expensive prices.They were discouraging folks, from buying , direct from them.The better priceing, used to be, from your local retailers..Do these Companys, want us, to go electric.I`ll go to rubber Band ,before that.Starting to think ,that,these Companys think, We`re fools..We need to band together, and, design,and manufacture, our own engines, kits,ARFs RTFs,etc.The intellegence, and talents, are ,all here, in this forum.I can`t believe,how upset I get, over this ,availability, Crap...
Old 08-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: D Bronk
We need to band together, and, design,and manufacture, our own engines, kits,ARFs RTFs,etc.The intellegence, and talents, are ,all here, in this forum.I can`t believe,how upset I get, over this ,availability, Crap...
I'll second that. I'll build the laser cutters!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:22 AM
psullivan

Yea! and I can hand-cut all the wing ribs!

....NOT.[&o]

Oh, thats what the Sneasle's cutter is for...

I need help[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Kits are easy. The hardest part is writing the manuals. Making an engine is a little more difficult. Unless it's a Cox style engine! Pretty much all you need is a CNC machine... and a BIG checkbook! Rick W, a sporadic contributor here, could spit Cox crankcases out like there's no tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
D Bronk

So ,Then We Need to Buy Stock, in Our Own,Mutual, manufacturing Company..Start with a rear Rotary valve disc design ,Slide Throttle,,Or any thing decent, useing Common Glow Plugs.I would invest..