Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Results of scientific experiment

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Results of scientific experiment

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Results of scientific experiment

As youse-all are well aware, I am a relentless pursuer of rigorously derived, supremely accurate, indisputable, aerodynamical-ish scientific facts. Not for me the wild guesses, suppositions, and “hey looka that” observations. Uh huh, I gots to have the real ‘skinny’ (a term not usually associated with my physical appearance so I use it whenever I can work it in).

So yesterday, in order to take advantage of the high, gusty wind conditions I decided to throw caution to the wind and expend a great deal of my precious time in order to develop this valuable information. I do this in the firm knowledge of how much youse-all appreciate the knowledge I so freely and unselfishly share. (It IS hard to be humble but I excel at this too.)

Feel free to copy and distribute the following to those less fortunate whom you feel may benefit from my labors.

Subject; Down wind launching of miniature aircraft.
Vehicles; Olde Sharkface and delta Blitz.
Process; The trusty Radio Shack wind-o-meter registered a steady-ish 10-12 mph but I sensed that gusts reached the mid-30s each time I launched. Both models require hefty tosses under normal conditions but today with the gale-force wind at my back (also seductively swirling my long, curly, blond locks about my chiseled facial features) even more gusto was required. Alas, even my Herculean efforts were insufficient. Sharkface, with her rubber-banded wing mount suffered the indignity of a skewed wing (ok, three or four times) but no actual damage (she plopped shamefully into the cotton field once too). However, Blitz with her advanced, lightweight, one-piece construction – while cart wheeling gracefully – did sustain a cruelly-crunched corner. Fortunately, due to the extremely well executed techniques used in her construction, I will be able to effect repairs with a minimum of time and effort – thus providing additional time for preparation for the upcoming C 1/2A C Reedie Race.
Conclusion; Some days it just don’t pay to get outa bed.

I just knew that youse-all would want this data. (Ain’t you glad I took the time to share this with you?)
Old 08-14-2006, 06:21 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Results of scientific experiment

Raymond,

Do I even want to ask WHY you do this radical experiment????? Or.... what had you been drinking prior to said experiement????... in short...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING????......I guess the cool flying weather went to your head.........fix the planes....LOL...

Dan
Old 08-14-2006, 07:10 AM
SGC

HHhhhMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-14-2006, 07:12 AM
SGC

Nuff said )
Old 08-14-2006, 07:21 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Next time, turn around and throw it towards the pits. Be ready for the oooh's and aaaah's as the wind turns them around and carries them out over the field. Your clubmates will surely appreciate the finess required.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 AM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

Process; The trusty Radio Shack wind-o-meter registered a steady-ish 10-12 mph but I sensed that gusts reached the mid-30s each time I launched....
Truly only a few select gifted individuals are capable of performing such daring feats of scientific research in such conditions ......... Please send some of that wind my way - I'd like to know what its like to fly in close to dead calm conditions...
Old 08-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I lived in Wichita for a year and a half. I remember very well the day the wind didn't blow.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:25 AM
KidEpoxy

The DownWind Launch test?
Is this the predacessor to the testing the effect of vairoius amounts of dihedral on similar planes that are on fire?

I'm still shocked there was no photo documentation of the testing or results.
Will this data be used to produce a RuberBand Aplication Table by Wind Orientation Launches?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Raymond,

Good show ol' boy! I am really suprised tho that they wouldn't get flying this being such small plane and such huge power .....weird stuff.

...........you just reminded me of the time when I was just learning to fly...ok so I am still learning....anyways I was like 15 or so and had built a 2m glider(I think it was a Bob Martin *****cat or something). I had flown it a few times and got to thinking how stupid the wing looked all bent up here and there with dihedral. So I cut it apart and glued her back together flatter than a warttoad on I-85 North. It took all of one launch off the high start to find out why the wing was all bent like that. Thank god for a hack saw!!!

LAter,
Tim
Old 08-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

I see that my work is not done - I'm making notes here . . .

1. Flaming dihedral investigation - effects of hot air on lifting surfaces.

2. Rubber band flexing wing mount - random incidence changes and their effects on airframe survivability.

3. Flying through the pits - or personal investigation of various anger manifestations.

OK, got it. Look for future reports.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:16 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hogflier - I'll vouch for that Wichita wind, too - I used to race sailboats (hobie cat) and one weekend at Cheney resevoir out west of Wichita, they called off races because it was TOO windy! It was breaking boats..

Old 08-14-2006, 03:14 PM
hogflyer

fizzwater2 -

Wind is nice for turning airplanes into helicopters on landing. Nothing like a vertical landing with no roll-out. On the other hand I do have to pick up my plane an carry it back on occasion as it weathervanes and can't be taxied when the winds are up. [&o] Once you get used to it, it's not too bad. I've even flow Half-A-Hec's (by the way, anybody seen him lurking around here lately, or did he eat some Kraft and dogs also and go MIA?) Re-V-Amped (at a whopping 21" span @7oz) in a light 10 to 15 mph breeze here.

The local club races out at Lake Afton, and they fly regardless of the wind. They have been known to fly WM Sky Raider Mach II's with OS .46's in 30 - 40 MPH winds - makes for some very slow up-wind and blistering down-wind passes.

Hogflyer
Old 08-14-2006, 09:16 PM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Raymond, thank you for informative and enlightning thesis regarding down wind launching. We're all most grateful for the time and money you've devoted to the topic and for all of the ground breaking data you've past on for our benefit. However I feel theres more work to be done on the subject and I would urge you to further your studies and tackle the tricky ( and unresearched) subject of cross wind hand launching in gusty conditions. Also flying while blind folded could be another avenue of discovery for you to explore. Thanks again.....John
Old 08-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Uh, thanks (I suppose) for your thought provoking recommendations John. Consider them added to the list. . .

4. Cross gusty wind launches - "roll, roll, roll your plane gently down the strip. Merrily. . ."

5. Blind folded launches - well, I have often closed my eyes when I knew the end was near. I guess I could start earlier than usual. Would that count?

In order to continue these investigations in the most efficient manner I am considering consolidating all of the thoughtful contributions that you, my fellow seekers of knowledge, have presented above - into one glorious (though likely short-lived) event. Consider. . .

*. A high-revving, open exhaust, 1/2A racing model whose wings are held on by a single # 32 rubber band, flames leaping along the wings and fuselage, violently gyrating through the pit area (scores of panic stricken people running, screaming, diving for cover), driven from the side by Wichita-level tornadic gusts, "controlled" by a blindfolded pilot - who is holding the transmitter UPSIDE DOWN. Woo hoo, I'd pay money to see that!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:29 AM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: vauxhall

Hi Raymond, thank you................ground breaking data....................... Thanks again.....John
Ground breaking! I love it. Raymond, Did you repair your divots?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

6. Land like Hollis - produce measureable divot .
Old 08-15-2006, 10:19 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

All of my launches are vertical, so wind direction isn't a problem, because the wind never blows straight up.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:50 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Even when you're snoring?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:32 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

Once you get used to it, it's not too bad. I've even flow Half-A-Hec's (by the way, anybody seen him lurking around here lately, or did he eat some Kraft and dogs also and go MIA?) Re-V-Amped (at a whopping 21" span @7oz) in a light 10 to 15 mph breeze here

Hogflyer

Leave My cooking Out of This ...LOL Todays` Menu, is RE-FRIED Spaghetti,with,my,Gourmet, homeade Meat Sauce(Crumbled up ,leftover ,Hamburger patty, Ala, Ketchup)...I want to hear about, Raymond doing these tests, While haveing lunch ,at the same time..
Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

7. Conduct tests while having lunch - conduct tests while heaving lunch.

(I figured I'd go ahead and say it. Youse guys have no pity.)
Old 08-17-2006, 11:07 PM
KidEpoxy

Long after LiPo have given way to PlutoniumCarbonate batteries, we will still be telling the tale of the Kraft & Dogs to the new generations of flyers
Old 08-23-2006, 08:39 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Neither Ramond or CP snore anymore don't ask.
Raymond, you just haven't been right since Hoot bit it have you? I say you should build another one and get right with the space time continuom. Or totally stuff your aero ace to balance the lekky nitro equation.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

My Fellow Seekers of Truth and Wisdom (and you too Vic),

This topic is all about "experiments". As readers of this forum throughout the industrialized world are well aware, mostly my experiments are experiences in exasperation resulting in expressions of exceptional - failure. Yes, it is a bitter pill for me to swallow but what I lack in knowledge and skill - I make up for with truth and honesty. Would I kid ya?

Well in the normal sequence of events I would report on experiments AFTER the results were complete. However, in light of my record of having to report negative results - again and again and again - this time I'm gonna provide data on what I would like to happen - sorta like an anti-snoring-devise induced dream sequence (if ya know what I mean).

a, Sheetface design is complete. Gonna be heavier than everything else youse guys have been reporting on. But I am going forward undaunted with the 'experiment' of using Future Floor Finish as a filler (very quick drying, no smell). I expect her to overcome heftiness with her ultra-slick finish (almost as nice as Bob and Brian's usual results. Darn.)

b, Unlimited delta to be built to Blitz dimensions (see downwind launch results) but using an 'experimental' core of BlueCor FFF sheet foam, outlined with light balsa, covered with laminating film (crayoned and floral sprayed). Maybe won't be so prone to landing/launching cartwheel damage.

c, J250 racer also in delta planform in FFF, with a one-piece 'experimental' motor, battery, rcvr, servos module that will facilitate rapid changes from one model to another in case (unlikely of course) of accidental damage.

Careful observers will note that two thirds of the above are non-lekky related.

(I'm not yet ready to speak of Hoot beyond the fact that it would surely have been a strong contender for 'unlimited' dominance.)
Old 08-23-2006, 10:27 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

it would surely have been a strong contender for 'unlimited' dominance.)
Duely noted and agreed with

Maybe you should incorporate SR77's Castrol oil bottle cowel concept along with the crayola color scheme.[sm=75_75.gif]

I think your experiments have resulted in what Patrick has been proudly accumulating and refering to as empircal data. Of course I will defer to his clarified and dignified confirmation.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:41 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: vicman
I think your experiments have resulted in what Patrick has been proudly accumulating and refering to as empircal data. Of course I will defer to his clarified and dignified confirmation.
Errrr... Yup.

Geez, Ray. You can make all kinds of wild and outlandish claims now that it's gone!

ORIGINAL: vicman
Neither Ramond or CP snore anymore don't ask.
Ok, I'm slow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.