Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox Engine Supplies

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Engine Supplies

Old 08-19-2006, 12:13 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cox Engine Supplies

ORIGINAL: hogflyer
Actually, its not a waste of money at all. After I use up the glow heads I'll still have a lot engines left I do decide to get an aftermarket head assembly. If I figure $4.00 each for the glow heads, I'm sure I'll be able to auction the engines off for at least $3.00, if not more especially if they are no longer in production and parts are not available from Cox, if I do go and auction them. Besides, the Sure Start runs just fine on the stock glow head.
I agree with all of the above...but then, you are not buying them just for the plug. You have plans for the rest of the engine.

BTW, I have a dozen or so of the Sure Starts, albeit half of them are in the Star Wars Naboo fighters (sale at Tower - $5.99, I think).

As you said, those engines run great.

George
Old 08-20-2006, 12:43 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been guilty of hijacking a few threads.............but to belly ache over why I couldn't make it all about me, plus do it in PIGG-LATIN??? I think we are treading onto new ground here [sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-20-2006, 04:49 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all concerned about Cox plugs. Yes, get a Galbreath head and Nelson plug. This will fit Cox AND Norvel .049 and .06. Norvels plugs, which, for the time being are also hard to get.

However, if you take a little care and with a bit of practise, you CAN make, from old Cox heads, a piece that will accept turbo plugs. These are similar to Nelsons but can be had in many more heat ranges from multiple suppliers. They were invented for the car engines and are claimed to provide a power boost. In any case, properly done, they will retain the power you had with your original Cox or Norvel plug and in some cases give you added power due to matching heat range with your particular application.

See how that's done here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45..._1/key_/tm.htm

For Cox .09 throttling. If you can get the plastic, front carb body from a TD .09, you can add a throttle from an MVVS .09 available from Carlson Imports.

That's pictured below. The muffler is custom made by myself. The MVVS throttle needs the bottom stem threaded to suit the TD body and is simply JB Welded in place. The excellent thing about the MVVS throttle is that it has the very necessary, adjustable airbleed already installed. The engine pictured is a TD .09,,, don't know how well it would work with the Medallion .09 as it has a round intake port as opposed to rectangular one as in the TD.

I've converted an old head to take a turbo plug but this arrangement is yet to be tested.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46935.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	509995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54301.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	509996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54491.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	509997  
Old 08-21-2006, 07:55 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, this was fast. I ordered the Sure Starts on 08/17 at 11:00 pm. I just received all 10 today at 5:00. Some of the fastest shipping I've seen. I just hope I don't have the soft piston syndrome I've been reading about.

On a side note, does any body have a reset tool they would like to part with?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:10 PM
lukesp

You most certainly will need one, that's for sure.

Luke.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:13 PM
lukesp

BTW, Hogflyer,

do your Sure Starts have "Mexico" stamped on the side of the backplate ? Mine do, and I never knew they were manufacturing them there.

Luke.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:50 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Luke, just the backplates were made in Mexico. Everything else was made in-house to the best of my knowledge.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:09 PM
lukesp

Thank you. I was worried about that. I worked for Makita Powertools back in the late eighties and I remember well the day they sourced all the cordless drill batteries from Mexico. They were returned for months on end, useless, incapable of holding charge etc.

It was a bad move, and all our customers demanded japanese batteries or none at all. Mind you, only 2 decades before that no one in their right mind would ask for anything Japanese and expect quality.

Luke S.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

Some of the fastest shipping I've seen. I just hope I don't have the soft piston syndrome I've been reading about.
Everyone one of mine that I've opened so far has been full of junk -- mostly thread chips from the cylinder threads. Besides thoroughly cleaning, I trued up the cylinder seat, back of the crankcase and nose with some 400 grit and oil on a glass plate.

The inside of the piston around the rod socket also had some gunk that I rinsed out with acetone and a cotton swab.

Good luck with yours -- the ones with the softer piston came in a couple of weeks ago. The ones that shipped before the SS's were out of stock for a while seemed much harder.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:41 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I wonder if they didn't harden the pistons after machining. Just packed'em away as is and Cox sure enough ain't performing any steps aside from assembly. Any ideas on how to check that and correct it?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

The only other adapter I know of that works like it should besides the Galbreath setup, was from a guy in Australia, he sold them on Ebay. Hobblers is his user name there. They work as good as a standard glow head, uses a standard or short (fox) glow plug. We have one in use here on a trainer, works like it should. They were talked about here before, check for them.

And hollerp89, if I find or see anything I will let you know, I know finding parts is not a lot of fun at times. I would consider getting another Cox .09 engine with the throttle sleeve on it, say Ebay. That way, the parts are there, along with the spares. May be the most cost effective way to go.