Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Breaking in my norvel .074

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Breaking in my norvel .074

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:01 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Breaking in my norvel .074

Will a car fuel tank work? I have this 75cc car fuel tank and it seems like it would work but i want your opinions.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:06 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

So the the cox fuel is good for break in and the bluethunder isnt. But can the blue thunder be used in everyday running? Oh i I forgot something important! What is a good prop size for break in? I have a 7x4, is that too much for it?
As a rule, err on the smaller side of the prop selections when breaking in. 2 stroke engines run cooler and are happier under light loads. Ideally the engine will spin up to operating rpm in a rich 2-stroke setting.

>Will a car fuel tank work?

As to the car tank, that's a large tank volume for a small engine, and could cause you some headaches with varying fuel levels. For test stand purposes, if you filled the tank then ran the engine for a few minutes, then stopped it and let it cool down ready for another run, my instinct would be to top up the tank to keep the fuel level somewhat the same.

I bet the fuel line size on your car tank is medium, whereas your engine is would want small tubing. You may have a poor fit at the carb inlet, which can allow air to get sucked in. In that case I would couple a section of small tubing to the tubing from the car tank, or run small all the way from the car tank. Or... go get a 1/2A tank. Small engines do not like to draw fuel very far, and will get quite finicky if you make them do so. Ideally, you would have up to about a 1 ounce tank located very close to the engine with as little fuel line length as possible.

MJD

Old 10-31-2006, 08:46 PM
3D Nut

ORIGINAL: W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

You should submit your design [link=http://www.flyingthingz.com/]here![/link]

Hey Keep me out of this one. I'm still fighting this PIG [X(]

Spiro
FlyingThingZ Team
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29375.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	552170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34931.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	552171  
Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

I have i 1/2a tank, its a 2 once/60cc. I just thought the car fuel tank would be more conveinent. about the fuel line- its seems to have a good fit on the carb inlet but maybe there isnt enough pressure to push it through a thick line? What do you guys use to fill up your tanks eccept for fuel pumps. I have one of those fuel bulb things but in the manual it says not to use them.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:31 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

I tried using my 1/2a starter today. When i turned it on with it on the spinner, the prop came off and flew across my garage. I went and retrived it and put it back on but when i started flipping it by hand, i noticed something wrong, the end of the nut holding the prop on was wobbling when i flipped it. I took it off and relized it was bent. What do I do now?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:26 PM
eroc144

Sounds like the engine flooded and locked up, and the torque of the starter unscrewed your prop screw. This happened to me a lot when I broke in my first Norvel and I got pretty good at finding the stupid thing in my garage. More on that later.

You can probably get a replacement screw (generic, not Norvel) at your local hobby store. Take the bent screw along so you can match the size & threads (or look in your norvel manual for the exact size). Let me suggest that you also take the back plate off and inspect the connecting rod visually, just to make sure you didn't bend that as well.

Regarding the starter, sounds like you might want to close up your needle valve a bit and/or do the same with your throttle. A starter pulls more fuel into the carb than you can when hand starting, so flooding and hydrolock is much more possible.

EG
Old 12-02-2006, 07:27 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you bent the shaft...I've never heard of that happening..usually the connecting rod bends before that happens? do you have a vent line hooked up to the inlet air nipple on the muffler?....your tank and location arent that critical, changing that wont help as long as you can see fuel going through the line when you cover the carb....if indid the shaft is bent, you need to find a machine shop to try and straighten it for you, cause if you try and get it to run it will eat itself alive with vibrations.....is there no one that can help you with this?..I have several Norvels and they start like a light switch most of the time....I hate your having all this trouble, it is such a nice running engine...Rog
Old 12-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WASPS --

Did you bend the shaft or just the prop screw? If it is just the prop screw, send me a PM with your snail mail address and I'll send you one.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:30 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

I took a look inside of my engine today, The connecting rod is bent.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:39 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Any body know where i can get a new one?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:58 PM
AndyW

Wasps,

Sig is very good on warranty. Call them and ask for Justin. He may be able to help.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:07 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasps, sorry about the bad news you can also try Lite Machines Helicopters they carry the Norvel line and may have the parts.....Rog