Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Breaking in my norvel .074

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Breaking in my norvel .074

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in my norvel .074

Im building and airboat for this engine but I still have to break it in. All the things that I have read of how to break it in were really confusing to me and i was wondering if anybody could explain to me how to break this engine in, in a simple way.

[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 08-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Breaking in my norvel .074

There is an extensive NORVEL FAQ at the top of this forum. You might read thru the first few pages and then ask a specific question. There is a lot of expertise here, but many of your questions may be answered in the FAQ.

If you're still unsure, then someone here can provide pretty good advice.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Is there another effective way to break it in? The way in the manual and on the website are totally different[&:]

p.s. Im only a 13 year old and im pretty much a beginner when it comes to nitro engines. I already screwed up a car engine because i broke it in improperly[:@]
Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I recently bought a .074, and it did not need any hocus-pocus to break in. I just ran a single 2 oz tank through it, it held a steady needle setting. Next time the engine got fired up, it was airborne with a 7x3 prop.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:57 AM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

How did you run it? Full throttle? idle? mixture of both?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 AM
D Bronk

Wasp,, do the turning it over 100 times with your finger thing.Heat up the cylinder with a heat gun,that will let the engine flip over easier.Quickly prime it, before The cylinder cools off.Put the Glow starter on it and get it running.Watch your fingers, and use a Chicken stick.Do you know the difference between the engine 4 stroking and 2 stroking..You want to lean it out(the carb needle) just till it starts to 2 stroke, at full throttle,,let it run like that for a minute ,then richen it, to a 4 stroke setting for a minute.just go back and forth like that for a tank full of fuel(2 ounces).Do this at full throttle.If your not clear ,with what to do still,ask again,don`t be shy ..You have a very nice engine there,and they`re pretty powerful..
Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WFlyer,

If at all possible you should find someone to help you break this thing in. It's not hard but needs to be done correctly to ensure a long life for the engine. Knowing how "two stroking", "four stroking" and an "over lean" condition sound are important when breaking in the engine. If you don't know please ask and we will explain it to you. If you do break it in yourself, heed Dbonks advice and you should have a good engine.

Darren
Old 08-23-2006, 10:30 AM
D Bronk

Wasp Take a look at this video ,and listen to it carefully, you`ll hear ,what 2 strokeing sounds like (high pitch,and ,high Rpm),and 4 stroking(low pitch,and, a slower RPM)..When the engine is 2 stroking, it is being Broken in very quickly, and the friction ,of ,all the New parts in the engine, are Generateing ,alot of heat..That`s a good thing,but you need to alternate ,to 4 stroking(rich needle setting) so the engine has a minute to cool, with the extra fuel ,and oil, that enters the engine.Rich carburator setting,does that for you,it sort of gives the engine a chance, to relax, for a minute before you wind it up, for it`s next 2 stroking,1 minute run..Remember this is all done at full throttle..Wire open your throttle arm, to wide open,for at least 2 ounces of Fuel,a 2`nd tank won`t hurt to run through it either.So alternate between Rich, and, peaked needle setting.If you go past, the peaked needle setting, you`ll have the engine Slow down, due to lean running(that`s a bad thing ),richen the needle quickly if it Does .And don`t forget that the propellor is close by so Be CAREFULL...Also, what kind of Fuel, did you use for the Car engine..You should have a good percentage ,of Castor oil,in the Fuel, for the Norvel engines, Break in..Let us know, what you want to use, to break your engine in with..

this link should Help you ,recognize the Sounds that you need to listen for,in the first minute especially.

http://media.putfile.com/0061--BigMig

oh yeah Don`t take the pressure line off the muffler when youre breaking it in .That was the second tank of fuel through my new engine,and I was experimenting.. so just leave that hose hooked up
Old 08-23-2006, 11:51 AM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Thanks a TON guys! one more thing, what exactly does holding a steady needle setting mean and how many head gaskets skould i have on there while breaking it in?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:11 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

How do i make the throttle arm stay while turning the needle valve?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:58 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasp,

It's normal for the arm to move when you turn the needle when the throttle isn' hooked up to anything. Remember that when the engineis in your boat it will be connected to a servo with a pushrod holding it in a steady position. For breakin just get yourself a piece of wire and wire the throttle so that it stays in the wide open position (look down the throttle barrel and be sure there is a hole going all the way down to the crankshaft). For beak in use all three gaskets that came with the engine. Then after breakin you may find it runs better with two gaskets (you may get a few more RPM)

Holding a steady needle means that when the engine is screaming at wide open throttle in two cycle operation, the engine does not gain or loose rpm, it's steady. When an engine is new and being broken in the RPMs will often wander around as things are loosening up. It's important that at breakin you DO NOT LET THE ENGINE GO INTO A OVERLEAN CONDITION. It's one of the fastest way's to wear out a new engine. As you close the needle and rpms pick up listen to the engine, at some point the engine will start to sag(loose rpm) and its in an over lean condition. If you run the engine too long in this state you will ruin it. Adjust the needle to the rich side so that the rpms pick back up. Then as dbonk said take the engine to the "way rich blubbery sounding" mode by richening the needle even more. This very rich mode cools the engine and flushes out alot of the contamination from break in.

Watch Dbonks video he is doing exactly what he and I are talking about. Good Job Dbonk!

Darren
Old 08-23-2006, 02:05 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Can i have it mounted in my boat during break in if i clamp it down? I have a little bit of cox fuel and i have dynamite 20% blue thunder wich i used in my car, Wich fuel think would be best to break it in and run?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:31 PM
D Bronk

"Can i have it mounted in my boat during breakin if i clanp it down? "

Yes ,just make, sure you have it VERY SECURE, and, that it CAN`T get Away on you.....What fuel are you going to use???
Old 08-23-2006, 03:34 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

I have a little bit of cox fuel but i also have dynamite 20% blue thunder that i used in my car. Could i use that (i have alot of it)?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:16 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

What is castor oil? In the manual it says to put castor oil in the engine and turn it over 100 times. Is it some kind of motor oil?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:55 PM
combatpigg

You can buy SIG castor oil either from your local hobby store or through TOWER HOBBIES or through SIG. If you add 4 ozs of castor to a new gallon jug of store bought fuel, you are helping to insure that the engine will last longer and give top power.

BTW., in the old testament, it said to add castor and turn the engine over 101 times, plus however many times you happened to sin that day.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:18 PM
KidEpoxy

what about the Castor in the Walmart Pharmacy section?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
combatpigg

I guess that would work, LHS castor is about $8 a quart, so if you can do better at mallwart with medicinal castor, just make sure it is degummed. For some reason, I think I have heard that you can not use this type of castor, but maybe that was just SIG propaganda?

On second thought the warning might have been about chugging SIG castor for medicinal use? [:'(]
Old 08-23-2006, 09:42 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Will the blue hunder fuel work? How about the cox?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:54 PM
D Bronk

He would be best ,using the Cox fuel,for break in..For the 101 turns,plus repentance,3 drops of 5W-30 would be OK,too.

Here`s their Add:
"Blue Thunder—. Blue Thunder Sport Formula is ideal for those who are new to gas cars or for drivers that want maximum protection for their engines. It features a unique additive called ZX-7 that provides over-lean indication protection. When an engine is over-leaned, internal engine temperatures dramatically increase. At these critical temperatures, Blue Thunder Sport Forumla actually changes from a lubricant to a combustible, giving an immediate indication to the driver that the mixture is too lean. On the track, if the engine is over-leaned, the driver willl immediately notice that the car will hesitate during acceleration, indicating that it's time to pull in and richen the mixture. If the engine continues to run at these overly lean settings it will quit before damage to internal engine components occurs."

I think what is being described here, is ,Heat Seizeing ..Not Good
Old 08-24-2006, 12:52 AM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

So the the cox fuel is good for break in and the bluethunder isnt. But can the blue thunder be used in everyday running? Oh i I forgot something important! What is a good prop size for break in? I have a 7x4, is that too much for it?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:59 AM
D Bronk

Do what, Combatpig said to do, with adding Castor oil, to the Blue Thunder fuel..

You can use the 7X4"..Norvel says that is the largest prop, that should be used, but a 7X3"might be a bit better for Break-in..
Old 08-24-2006, 10:09 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

ok, Thanks again guys, you saved my engines life!-lol
Old 08-25-2006, 01:43 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

D-Bronk, what is 5w-30?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:23 PM
cncswiss1

5W-30 is motor oil, for automobiles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.