Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

One good flight..

Old 08-23-2006, 09:13 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One good flight..

I scrambled to get the CG tiger 400 ready to fly last night before work..well met my new flyin bud at the field this morning..the Norvel.074 came to life like a light switch, dont even remember the last time I ran it?..my new glow driver is a twist lock type which is pretty difficult to do on a Norvel..but I managed to fire it up,,the tiny landing gear is no match for grass, so a gentle hand toss and it was off..wanted to climb with throttle, about half way through the tank I said, this must be one of those planes that goes where you point it,,Bill says,I would guess so..then it kinda clicked and I actually started flying it, instead of fighting to keep going (I know that sounds wierd)and the rest of the flight looked like I knew what I was doing... ..I couldnt find a place to mount the voltwatch but I keep one in my field box ..I guess the tank ran around 7-8 minutes,,just as I said "no telling how long this thing is gonna fly" ,since I didnt set the throttle to cut off,well about 1 more pass around the field and it runs out, floated in, hit the tall grass and flipped over, not a scratch....it was ..One good flight...I took the wing off and checked the voltage..no more flights today, but I was a happy camper, well the last half of the flight anyway.....it was a conversion because the electric motor that came with it wouldnt get it more than 10 feet in the air or fly more than 30 seconds or so..........Rog

Oh, just about the time we were leaving this thing buzzes my head about a foot away, we turn around and look and its a humming bird, goes about 20 feet out and up ,stops and hovers, gives us a tail flick like..'ha made ya look" and takes off too cool
Old 08-23-2006, 09:58 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: One good flight..

Congratulations Rog!

Brian
Old 08-23-2006, 10:02 AM
flyinrog

Hey stranger, you coming 09-30-06?..Rog
Brian that was to you?
Old 08-23-2006, 10:09 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

That is too cool Rog! I gotta see that one.There are a ton of the hummers out there at CopperHead Field,we had 'em buzzing us sitting under the shelter!
[X(]He may have been looking at himself off the top of your head[X(]
Congrats on the good flight,stick with Bill,he looks like he could show us a thing or two.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He may have been looking at himself off the top of your head
Ouch! Poor guy is reporting the first good flight in 6 years and you do that to him. Good one!

Glad you had fun Rog[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 AM
flyinrog

Well this sucks..on the 3rd good flight, I got hit somehow (honest I have a witness) all of a sudden the thing does a figure nine on me straight up, no response, at the top of the arc I cut the throttle[&o]no response,,it didnt look like it would be to bad, but this is an elecvtric parkflyer and also not meant to crash so ,well it ain't pretty..we went to get it and everything worked by the radio??? that was a long hit, we couldnt find anything wrong (serious I have a witness) ,,Bill says you can fix that???He dont know me very well....Rog
Old 08-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Half-A-Hec

Awe that sucks. Were you at an AMA Field? I have taken a few hits especially on channel 47. Good thing I fly 10 mistakes high! I need to get my hands on one of those frequency checkers. Hope you can get it back in the air soon.

Hec
Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Half-A-Hec

Awe that sucks. Were you at an AMA Field? I have taken a few hits especially on channel 47. Good thing I fly 10 mistakes high! I need to get my hands on one of those frequency checkers. Hope you can get it back in the air soon.

Hec
Yes both of the clubs fields are AMA..I've had a blip or 2 at the other field on Ch 40, the other field is bad about hits, I only go there twice a year as its 20 miles further away,never had a hit like this before, the only known problem channel is 33 and another friend had problems with 15 I think so he sold his stuff and went to higher channel stuff..the old field has 13 cell towers a few miles away.......it wont get back in the air unless I can buy a fuse for it...Rog
Old 08-30-2006, 11:42 AM
hogflyer

Hec,

Where you flying something other than Re-V-Amped? That plane gets small at 1/2 a mistake high .

Rog,

You may want to think about going PCM. There are some channel at our field that get hits on FM, but don't on PCM. We think it may have something to do with Boeing's electronics testing about 2 miles away from us.

Hogflyler
Old 08-30-2006, 11:50 AM
small_rcer

Hits are really upsetting when you total a plane. When you think of the hours we put into scratch built planes we must be getting paid about $0.50 per hour. I had this happen once too often.

I finally got a Polk's Tracker III radio. Each time before I fly I check the frequency either side of the one I am about to use. At our normal field some channels are totally unusable. The T-III scans the channel before powering up the transmitter. If there is RF it won't enable the TX part of the transmitter.

Have used it to check the frequency for flying friends and usually if the T-III shows interference they get many hits. Have gone to the field with a plane all setup for a given channel and have had to change the Tx and Rx before I could fly. I don't sell these units but would not fly without it now. Only crashes have been because of brain fade not radio fade.

FCC regs require frequency agile Tx's to have a receiver that checks for clear channel before powering up the Tx RF section. I believe this now also applies to new versions of portable phones like used in your home etc.

So a new Tx with a scanner built in may be more practical rather than buying a stand alone scanner.

Jim H

Old 08-30-2006, 02:22 PM
BSARGE

I was the witness to it...it was very strange flying along straight and level and the plane enters into a loop, and I don't think anything about it until Rog says "I'm not doing that" I look at his transmitter and he is now pulling full up and chopped the throttle but plane went right in...my first thought was a control horn came off or the pushrod came loose from the ez connector, but that wasn't the case, and yeah after we picked up the plane the radio seemed to be working fine...

ORIGINAL: flyinrog
and another friend had problems with 15 I think so he sold his stuff and went to higher channel stuff..the old field has 13 cell towers a few miles away.......it wont get back in the air unless I can buy a fuse for it...Rog
Man I didn't know that...all my stuff is on channel 15![X(]

-Bill
Old 08-30-2006, 02:49 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Check your battery very closely or just toss it. I've had a couple of factory batteries cause problems like that. So far my soldered batteries (that I worry about) haven't cost me an airplane yet! The welds will come loose under vibration. It happened to my first airplane, which had been built from a kit. It was an Electro-streak converted to .15la glow.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:10 PM
flyinrog

PT that was one of my first thoughts, and when we got back to the table I hooked up a voltwatch and it was still in the max range....Rog
Old 08-30-2006, 08:50 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Rog, the point was that mine was only showing problems when vibrated by the engine. At a stand-still, they looked perfect. Thinking back, the welds may have completely come loose and the shrink wrap holding them on. I was lucky enough to figure out the problem on the ground before those bat's made another wreck.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:33 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

So Rog,got another one ordered yet?[X(]Bill if you are good at fixing stuff,how about fixing my UltraStik wing.Thanks again for your emergency work on my wrist !(sorry about the hijack Rog)
Old 08-31-2006, 06:18 AM
eroc144

BSARGE: I was the witness to it...it was very strange flying along straight and level and the plane enters into a loop, and I don't think anything about it until Rog says "I'm not doing that." After we picked up the plane the radio seemed to be working fine...
Sorry to hear about the crash. Putting your plane into a wood box is never fun... [&o] I've had similar problems with one of my rigs and have bashed several DNUs over the past year. As you described, the plane's flying along fine for several flights and then suddenly it's corkscrewing into the ground, and afterwards the radio gear seems to be A-OK. My brother flies with me and has never had this problem, and we're both scratching our heads trying to figure it out. Initially I thought it was a servo problem, then thought it was a battery problem, now I'm convinced it's a TX/RX problem. I moved over to the Spektrum DX6 system this summer and the glitches have gone away.

EG
Old 08-31-2006, 06:34 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: BANJOAIRPLANE

So Rog,got another one ordered yet?[X(]Bill if you are good at fixing stuff,how about fixing my UltraStik wing.Thanks again for your emergency work on my wrist !(sorry about the hijack Rog)
No problem with the hijack,which channel was it you had your problems with, I thought you said 15 is that right, just a heads up for Bill...
For you interested readers BA got his wrist caught in a high reving prop and BSarge was there and helped duct tape him back together and loaded his stuff up so he could run to the hosp..sounded pretty gruesome , Bill said he thought the engine was running really rich because the muffler was dripping oil,,turned out to be blood...[]...Rog,that is one plus about 1/2a a prop strike really hurts, but rarely causes more than blood blisters and cussing[:@]
Old 08-31-2006, 07:10 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Rog and Bsarge.I flew 15 for several months without a hitch.The only reason I switched channels is the new radio didn't come in 15.Switched eveything to 17.I also flew 46 for several months without a hit.33 and 44 are the suspect channels.You can read about my stupidity[X(] guys over in crash forum under Ouch THat Hurt.
Stitches comes out tomorrow!