Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

First flight of the Morane-Saulnier

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

First flight of the Morane-Saulnier

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:21 PM
tangerine-jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First flight of the Morane-Saulnier

Today was inauguration day for the Morane-Saulnier Model H monoplane I just recently completed from an old set of plans. I have been much anticipating this day, it’s always exciting to see if a new creation will fly or flop. I cranked up the Cox .09 (with a little difficulty-probably needed higher nitro fuel than what I was using) and made a few ground runs to see how it would handle. Even with the steerable tail skid it handled like doggy-doo on grass, so I decided a hand launch was in order. After a refueling and quick preflight, off it went! THEN I realized a few important facts about 1/2A flying. []

The day was beautiful, temp around 85, lovely clear sky, wind from the east 25k and gusty. Yes, 25k and gusty, I knew I shouldn’t have done it, but the lure of the new plane called to me. Hand launch was very easy, one step and a gentle toss and it was away. Climb out was good, up to about 50ft when it caught the wind from the dunes, then it was like trying to tame a bronco! I made a few harrowing laps, fighting the wind and gusts the entire way, then remembered I had a throttle (hoorah for 3 channel!), so I cut back the power and landed a bit hard, but no damage.[:@] I wouldn't fly a .40 sized plane in that kind of wind, certainly no place for 1/2A. Wind I can handle, it's the gust that are deadly.

Not being one to quite after one heart attack, I refueled, re-launched and promptly hit so much turbulence I aborted the flight after about 100ft, cut throttle and landed, dinging one wing tip in the process. I decided that discretion is the better part of valor, and there was no shame in packing up while the airplane was still intact to try again in calmer winds. I was hesitant to add red and white checkers to the bottom wings, but there was more than one occasion when I caught a bad gust and was VERY glad I had oriented the wings in such a manner, it saved the plane no doubt about it.

In summary, I got a few moments of reasonable calm wind and found the plane to be an absolutely fantastic flyer! No trim was required, but I only had a few moments to let the plane fly itself to reveal any bad habits. From what I saw today, I have no qualms that this is a great flying airplane. I am proud of myself!

BTW, yes I said sand dunes. I’m lucky I know………….
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44066.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	514025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65293.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	514026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv40474.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	514027  
Old 08-27-2006, 03:16 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First flight of the Morane-Saulnier

Nice looking plane..and looks like a really cool spot for flying.....I'll be nice and hold off any coments on the field box though[>:]...Bring it down for the flyin if you can make it...Rog
Old 08-27-2006, 03:45 PM
tangerine-jack

Oh yes, the field box. I've been meaning to build a new one, but this one has a lot of sentimental value to me. It belonged to my uncle from Texas who was a big RC flyer, when he passed away he left me the box, a 7 channel Futaba and an OS Max .40, all of which I still use to this very day.

I should have also mentioned that the wind was unsuitable for flying, but GREAT for surfing! Nice waves, great private beach, sunny skies and the smell of glow fuel. Yes, life is good!
Old 08-27-2006, 03:51 PM
propbuster

Hey, Nice looking plane, flying field, and Rog, as long as he packed a lunch in the field box, nothing wrong with that either!
Old 08-27-2006, 03:52 PM
flyinrog

Cant do pics but you can search for field boxes over in the beginners forum,,I went to walmart and bought one of those Stanley tool boxes on wheels ($25 and well worth it) and put a power panel on the side of it with the battery inside, pretty cool setup but its top heavy so it rides up front with me...Rog
its like rolling luggage but big wheels and the top half detaches for 1/2a stuff if you want it up on the table with you..there is a kind of lazysusan drawer in it for small stuff but I dont use that part...yet
Old 08-27-2006, 03:58 PM
tangerine-jack

It is a good field, 100 yards from the beach, if you can't fly then surf. It's also a bad field, 100 yards from the beach. DO NOT have a failure past 100 yards to the east or you will NEVER EVER get the plane back. If you look past the flight box in the photo off in the distance you will see a berm, just the other side of the berm is the Atlantic ocean. Right behind the spot I took the photo are 60ft pine trees. To the South is open dunes, to the North is 20ft scrub. It's quiet and secluded, I can do what I want and nobody bothers me. Over all, a good deal.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:45 AM
flyswatter

TJ:

Pretty little plane - hope to see it go at the RACES. We understand about your wind problems here in SE GA. We usually have a nice little breeze in from the ocean, or towards it, or parrallel to it, or.... Anyway, for those of us who are less than dare devilish (Me), I usually just park the model, kick back, and sit under the shade to watch our 1/2 A's bigger brethren fly and bounce around in the sky. For those windy days when I have more need to fly than sense, I go up and fight the wind and try to control my heart and bring the model back in one piece. When I "land", I swear off heavy wind flying (again) and go sit under the shade. I always end up under the shade.