Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Guillows kits can fly!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Guillows kits can fly!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:26 PM
60buick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillows kits can fly!

Everyone here has probrably built just about every Guillows WW2 plane in the 500 series. Those are the small ones with a 16.5 inch wingspan. I have built dozens of them and bolted on .020s and flown them until they wore out. I have not built one for at least 7 years and I saw this Hawker Hurricane in the LHS and the old bug bit me. The Hurricaine was the only one I have not built so I had to get it. I always used to think how cool one would be full RC. You can see what I ended up with. It is built with all the Guillows wood and the wing is sheeted on the top. the rest is covered in ultracoat and painted. I used three channels of ailoron elevator and throttle. The servos are Cirrus cs-3's and she has a GWS micro reciever and I think the speed control is a Thunderbird something or other and the motor is a brushless outrunner that has enough power for a plane 3x's it size. She is way over powered. you can launch the plane straight up at three quarters throttle! The plane flys fast like a fighter should. The wing loading is the same as my top flight P-47 which is heavy for a small plane but arobatic and fun to fly. Flight times are surprisingly long because you tend to keep things around 1/2 throttle or less. Wide open throttle is a white knuckle ride and you have to go into it slow and be ready to feed in aileron or she will roll her self into the ground. Not an easy plane to fly but it flys very well. I am about to built a Guillows Hellcat of the same size and it will be much lighter but I can't see it being as fun as this one is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37223.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	515038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87648.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	515039  
Old 08-28-2006, 10:37 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Guillows kits can fly!

60Buick,
The brits also added giant clear lexan aileron extensions to the Hurricane to get her
to out-turn the Me109 in a dogfight, so they are totally scale!
But really, what kid did NOT want to fly those little buggers back in the 60's and 70's
with full R/C, and now we CAN! WooHoo! I could never get any of my Guillows WWII planes
to fly for more than the time it took to torque-roll in from a shoulder high launch.
Dave
OK, I got an "Arrow" to fly pretty good....once. I should build another one of those.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:55 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

60B, I liked it when you said the plane flys fast like a fighter should Never flew a plane that could torque roll in level flight if the throttle got jammed forward too quickly!! [X(]
Old 08-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Paladin049

I've been considering doing an full r/c version of the P-47 or big F6F in electric power, but I'd replace most of the wood.