Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Airframe for .26 FS

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Airframe for .26 FS

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:49 PM
hellyeh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airframe for .26 FS

This may not be the right place for this , but i thought you guys could help me out . I have an OS .26 FS that is looking for a home . I would really like to put it on a Bi-plane , but am having problems finding a decent ARF or kit . I would prefer an ARF , but would consider a kit , or ready built airframe if someone has one for sale . If anyone has any links they could provide , it would be MUCH appreciated .
Old 09-03-2006, 01:34 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Airframe for .26 FS

I have an Ace simple series Ultimate biplane kit that I got an os .25 fp for,,it is a kit though and I havent even started it..some say its too much eingine, some say its just right,,I'll just have to see...World Models makes a few kits for .25-.30 size engines...Piper Chuck does alot of that size modeling..I think he is a moderator over in the Begginer forum...check with him...Rog
Old 09-03-2006, 01:37 PM
hellyeh

Thanks for the leads , i will look into them .
Old 09-03-2006, 02:02 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That engine is really at it's best in a slow flyer style of model. Don't be tempted to go with anything that has a heavy build or it'll be just too lazy and lack snap to it. That ACE simple series with the sheet fuselage and relatively heavy foam wings is like that IMHO.

It's a shame that you want it to be an ARF as there just are not many ARF parkflyer style of bipes out there. And not even that many kits. But if you are willing to consider a simple to build plan then there's a couple of options
Old 09-03-2006, 02:22 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Piper Chuck also wanders over to the 1/2 A forum regularly, but usually just lurks.
Sportsman Aviation used to make a Waco bipe that might have worked ok with this engine, but alas they stopped importing it. You might be able to find it in outher countries under the brand name Jamara. There's a Tiger Moth available from Pacific Aeromodel that's listed as .30-.40 four stroke. A .26 might be ok for slow flying. I've seen it flying, I believe with a .30 and it was nice. If you're willing to give up one wing, World Models makes a really nice .30 size Piper Cub.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:06 PM
hellyeh

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

That engine is really at it's best in a slow flyer style of model. Don't be tempted to go with anything that has a heavy build or it'll be just too lazy and lack snap to it. That ACE simple series with the sheet fuselage and relatively heavy foam wings is like that IMHO.

It's a shame that you want it to be an ARF as there just are not many ARF parkflyer style of bipes out there. And not even that many kits. But if you are willing to consider a simple to build plan then there's a couple of options
Bruce , I have looked at the Slowpoke and a couple other slow fliers , but i have my heart set on a Bi-plane right now . At least you understand my troubles of finding an ARF . I would consider a build from plans , if i can't seem to find what i'm looking for . I am fairly new to this hobby , and have only built a couple ARF's and done some repairs on damaged planes that i have purchased when starting out . I was trying to go the ARF route , as i really don't want to spend a bunch of money on tools and whatnot to build , besides the fact that with my job , i often don't have alot of time to devote to a build without it taking FOREVER to finish . What do you have in mind for simple to build plans ?
Old 09-03-2006, 05:38 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.polkshobby.com

they have a biplane and a triplane for a .10-.25 ARF..Rog
Old 09-03-2006, 08:31 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

www.polkshobby.com

they have a biplane and a triplane for a .10-.25 ARF..Rog
Just when I'm trying to go on a hobby spending diet, Rog has to go and post about a triplane that's in my size range! [X(] I've even got an OS FS-30 that'd be perfect for it. Hmmm, what can I sell to free up some cash for a couple new planes?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How about scratch building a Pitts? I'm not sure how much power an OS 26FS has, but this one has a Saito .30

Build Thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3382269/tm.htm
Video Clip http://donatelli.net/pittss2s25/Pitts-S2S.wmv

If you'd rather build from a kit, then there's the Herr Pitts.
http://www.iflyherr.com/
[link=http://www.iflyherr.com/][/link]

If you want an ARF, there's the Wattage Pitts.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128439.asp
[link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128439.asp][/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78845.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	518494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98714.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	518495  
Old 09-03-2006, 11:38 PM
hellyeh

Andrew , all i can say is WOW , NICE WORK !! You definitely have some building talent . I wish i had the time , not to mention skill level to take on a project like that . You have some beautiful planes Sir . [8D] You seem like a guy to ask for a recommendation of which way i should go . How much is involved to adapt a glow engine to a plane that was designed for electric power , and will it hold up ? What do you know of the Herr Pitts , would it be a good kit ? I realize my options are limited , and i don't mind paying a little more for quality , if the quality is there . What is your recommendation ?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Bipe Flyer

If you read through the build thread on my Pitts, you'll see some discussion on the Herr Pitts. The Herr kits are top notch and as good as any I've seen.

Here's a link to a good discussion on converting the Wattage pitts, on RCGroups. [sm=eek.gif] http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197858

Rog mentioned the ACE Simple Ultimate earlier. It is heavy for its size, having a plywood sheet fuselage, but it is a really good flying plane. Not a lazy flyer, but very aerobatic and nearly indestructible.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:37 AM
BMatthews

I'd suggest that the Wattage Pitts is far too small for the weight of the OS26. A relaxing flyer it would not be.

The plans I had in mind for you has turned out to be either too small or too large. It was the Fred Reese design that came out as the Doppledecker for an 049 to .19 and later in a larger version as the Golden Oldie for a 40 4 stroke. Sorry, I seem to remember it being for a 25'ish engine.

HEre's a pic in any case....

Old 09-04-2006, 01:52 AM
hellyeh

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to provide me links and ideas on which way to go with my project .[8D] So far it is looking like the Herr Pitts kit might be the way to go , unless Bipe Flyer is interested in making a copy of his little BEAUTY .
Old 09-04-2006, 02:12 AM
Bipe Flyer

Yes, the planes I posted are fun, but you have to fly them all the time. No time to relax.

Bruce,

Are you thinking of the Golden Oldie 20?
[link=http://jinrunko.notlong.com ][/link]
[link=http://jinrunko.notlong.com]RCM plan number 1267. [/link] It was kitted for a short time just prior to Fred Reese's passing.

I built a pair of them. Wonderful plane designed by a master. Designed for a 20, but I put a .40LA in one and a .35FP in the other. I changed the airfoil to semi-symmetrical, but they can take off at 1/2 throttle and still float around as slow as you please.
It'd be perfect for a 26FS. In fact, that's what Fred used in the prototype.

Here come some more video clips
http://www.missionwings.com/videos/Andrew's%20Golden%20Oldie.mpg

Tail gunner's view.
http://www.missionwings.com/videos/Video%20Chase.mpg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50344.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	518671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51349.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	518672  
Old 09-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Bipe Flyer

Here's one that I almost bought for my Saito .30 - an Easy Built Models Waco. I haven't seen the kit, but it is designed by Laddie Mikulasko, so it should be good. It's on the upper limit for your .26, size wise.

http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/erc19.htm

Old 09-04-2006, 03:19 AM
BMatthews

So there WAS a mid sized version. Thanks for finding that Bipe.

That would be a great small field and close in sort of model. And you'd be surprised at the maneuvers you can do with just a rudder and elevator. As it is the model would be mild to sporty but add about 1/2 inch of dihedral per panel and it'll be mild to WILD with rudder rolls, loops, immelmans, split S's and other things galore.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:58 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

Here's one that I almost bought for my Saito .30 - an Easy Built Models Waco. I haven't seen the kit, but it is designed by Laddie Mikulasko, so it should be good. It's on the upper limit for your .26, size wise.

http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/erc19.htm
Did I read this right?
"Parts are printed on the wood and must be cut out by the builder."
I thought that went out with buggy whips and button top shoes.
al

Old 09-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: Big Al-RCU

Did I read this right?
"Parts are printed on the wood and must be cut out by the builder."
I thought that went out with buggy whips and button top shoes.
al
Ha, I didn't notice that. If that's the case, then I guess it's not much better than buying a plan.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

So there WAS a mid sized version. Thanks for finding that Bipe.

That would be a great small field and close in sort of model. And you'd be surprised at the maneuvers you can do with just a rudder and elevator. As it is the model would be mild to sporty but add about 1/2 inch of dihedral per panel and it'll be mild to WILD with rudder rolls, loops, immelmans, split S's and other things galore.

No problem finding it. I keep the April 1999 RC Modeler in my "favourites" box.

In the build article there is one with ailerons on the bottom wing only, and another with ailerons on both wings. The plans call for ailerons on both.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:33 PM
BMatthews

That's the EasyBuilt method from a couple of years back. Good ol' printwood.