Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr little extra... Which motor?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr little extra... Which motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Herr little extra... Which motor?

Well I got a decent deal on the ARF and got took on the motor. The guy advertised it as a Norvel Big Mig .074 sport but it turned out to be a Norvel AMA .061. This model is designed specifically for the Norvel .074 Big Mig but as we all know they are getting hard to find. The instructions for the model say that a larger engine will more than likely cause CG problems but being a distinguished graduate of The Tim Allen School of "More Power" The temptation is great to do so and just drop an OS .10 LA in it and call it good. Has anyone tried? What works with this plane? Some 1/2a 3D sounds like fun.

Here is a link to the plane:
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig
Old 09-10-2006, 05:47 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Herr little extra... Which motor?

Hey Mr. I got one of the Herr Extras and put a used ( off the bay) engine in it and it didnt have the power to stay in the air..Fireman says his flys fine but no power for aerobatics..the Norvel .074 is supposed to have the "power of a .10 in a lighter package"..after mine went in I put it away for a while,,right now it has a Magnum XL.15 in it waiting for me to finish it,,nose heavy in a plane is waay easier to fix than tail heavy is, theres usually always room to move the battery back to fix that...try the .10 if you know its a good engine..doesnt it seem like a pretty good sized plane for the .074?....Rog
Old 09-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine has one. He originally powered it with a Norvel .074, which wasn't really enough. It now has a Norvel BigMig .15, with plenty of power. A Norvel .074 does have more power than an OS .10.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Mr67Stang

So I guess I'm not overpowering untill I put a .15 in it. How about a .20 four stroke?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one with the Norvel .074.

It needs more power and I have planned to put a lightweight, plain bearing .15 in it. Maybe an OS LA .15.

CG will be no problem as I had to move the battery all the way forward and under the tank to get it to balance with the .074.

Actually, I think the .074 might be OK with a bigger carb and a bit of fiddling with the compression, but it would still not have great vertical.

I have found the Norvel .074 to be a nice docile, responsive engine, but a disappointment power wise.

A four cyclin' .20 . . . well, that might be a whole new can of worms. I worry a bit that my HS-55 servos might be challenged if I really got around to installing the .15. Could be the same issue with the .20. So, bigger engine, larger gear, more fuel- pretty soon you don't have a small, lightly loaded machine anymore.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:27 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I am wondering about a couple other Herr kits: the Star Flyer and the Cessna 180. I saw an OS .15FX at a local hobby shop, and I would like to put that engine in something. Does anybody think it would be too powerful for either of those? If that's too big, how about an OS .10?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never heard of a .15 FX? Factory/Experimental? [8D]?
I think the only .15 powered plane that I've ever seen the wing snap in flight was a scratch built 36 inch span ugly stick with light weight [weak] 1/4x1/4 balsa spars and no shear webbing. If firm balsa spars had been used, that wing would not have folded. If I remember, the flying weight was 27 ozs. 3/16x3/16 firm balsa spars and shear webbing will hold up to any sporty flyin' .15 powered plane in the 36 " range, if the kit has weaker construction than that, then it's time to beef it up some.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Mr67Stang

Okay I have been doing some research on the OS .15 LA/OS .15 CV-A and the Magnum .15 XL-15A. I read a review saying that the plane will require a muffler extention to get the muffler to fit and I can't find one for the Magnum. The engine with the best bang for the buck. I have also heard that tuning the Magnum engines is a lot harder than the OS. The obvious difference between the two OS engines is the CV-A is twice the price of the LA... is the 25% more power worth it. The Magnum comes in at 10% less than the CV-A

OS .15 LA .40 HP $54.99
Magnum XL-15A .45 HP $59.99
OS CV-A .50 HP $109.99
Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I've never heard of a .15 FX? Factory/Experimental? [8D]?
I think the only .15 powered plane that I've ever seen the wing snap in flight was a scratch built 36 inch span ugly stick with light weight [weak] 1/4x1/4 balsa spars and no shear webbing. If firm balsa spars had been used, that wing would not have folded. If I remember, the flying weight was 27 ozs. 3/16x3/16 firm balsa spars and shear webbing will hold up to any sporty flyin' .15 powered plane in the 36 " range, if the kit has weaker construction than that, then it's time to beef it up some.
You know, a .15FX probably doesn't exist. So I guess I pulled one over on myself. Anyway, it's a .15 sized engine and it's an OS. I really do appreciate the info on wings snapping, and it my look like the smaller kits would be OK with an engine that size. I would like to take a look at a .10 OS first, though, and see if that can be installed on one of those kits. Would there have to be much modification if I'm not using the Norvel? How about you folks with the .15 powered Pitts, what do you all think?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Bipe Flyer

The main difference between the both of the .15 OS engines and the Magnum is that the OS engines are very user friendly. The CVA is really a racing engine - not designed for 3D. Have you considered a Thunder Tiger GP .15? Better quality than an LA (IE no plastic parts, very similar to the older OS .15FP) and more user friendly than the Magnum. Power output is .42HP and it costs $49.99 http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKF89&P=7
Old 09-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

You know, a .15FX probably doesn't exist. So I guess I pulled one over on myself. Anyway, it's a .15 sized engine and it's an OS. I really do appreciate the info on wings snapping, and it my look like the smaller kits would be OK with an engine that size. I would like to take a look at a .10 OS first, though, and see if that can be installed on one of those kits. Would there have to be much modification if I'm not using the Norvel? How about you folks with the .15 powered Pitts, what do you all think?

NorfolkSouthern

You won't need a .15 for the Star Cruiser. It is very similar in size and weight to an LST, which is almost overpowered with an .074. I'd say that the only planes that Herr makes that would really be good with a .15 are the Somethin' Extra, the Pitts and the Mustang.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:09 PM
combatpigg

I have had good results with my CVA turning a 8x3 prop on 3D type planes, the throttle response is real good. I don't think the engine outperforms a plain bearing .15 enough to justify its' price. If you want show stopping performance for that Extra, put a piped MVVS .21 on it. Morris Hobbies has a video of a .15 sized plane getting flown 3D style with that set up. That plane can transition from knife edge loops into knife edged spins!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:09 PM
NorfolkSouthern

And how about the AP Wasp? Tower Hobbies has one, and it's an .061, which would be within range of the Herr kits. I have read about O.K.Cub, and perhaps one or two others but am not sure about the AP. Does anybody know if it would fit the mount, and would it offer enough performance to get the Star Cruiser up to a consistant altitude?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-11-2006, 04:49 AM
flyer495th

I run one with the OS .15LA and it requires no extension for it. It is way powerful for this little plane. I run at 1/2 thottle to 2/3's. The big change is to increase the size of the gas tank. It comes with a 2 oz and a 4 oz slimline and some modification to the body is required. This is a great flier and lands like a dream.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:08 PM
MikeG4936
My Feedback: (5)

I'd say anything in the .15 range would be perfect. I'm currently building one right now. I am planning on putting an Enya 11CX up front - I heard this engine is an extreme revver, with dual ball bearings and 0.50 HP (ABC, of course). If that doesn't fit the bill, I have an Enya SS15BB (also 0.50 HP) that could also work.

I have seen it with the LA 15, and it was great! I'm sure the CV-A would be amazing, but you sure have to pay through the teeth...

-Mike
Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Mr67Stang

Well I found a New in box OS .15 CV-A here on RCU for $90 so I went ahead and got that one. I should have it early next week. I guess an APC 8x3 is the prop I will be looking for to get this plane to fly the way I like. I can alwas throw a 7x6 on there when I want to go fast too.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:32 PM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

I had one with the .10LA and 8X4 prop, went vertical all day long. I actually had to put the rec and batt right behind the tank to get proper CG. Only got about 6 min flight time at WOT.

Bob

For more flight time, get the Sullivan Flex Tank 4oz. It can be heated with a heat gun and shaped to fit.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 PM
combatpigg

That's a nice deal on a new CVA! Keep us posted on how it flys the plane.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: wildchild45177

I had one with the .10LA and 8X4 prop, went vertical all day long. I actually had to put the rec and batt right behind the tank to get proper CG. Only got about 6 min flight time at WOT.

Bob

For more flight time, get the Sullivan Flex Tank 4oz. It can be heated with a heat gun and shaped to fit.
I could not help but notice your use of past tense here. What happened? Not engine related was it?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

It was so small and quick, it was a little advanced for my skills at the time. I sold it. I'll probably get another one together over the winter, as now I have the skill to enjoy it.

Bob
Old 09-13-2006, 02:56 PM
rfan_1
My Feedback: (2)

I put a TT GP10 in mine. It took just a tiny bit of shaving on the mount for a perfect fit. Using an APC 7x4 prop, hitec electron 6 rcvr, 270 mah nimh battery and HS-55 servos. AUW is 22oz with 1/4 oz added to the rear to get the CG. Flies pretty quick, but it's no pylon racer. Wicked rolls on high rates.

RFan
Old 09-13-2006, 03:19 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

I pretty much have to go along with the general theme here. A .15 size engine would be fine for this plane. I've tried the .074 norvel before, on "large" 20+ oz planes, & the performance is dismal when compared to even a good running .10 size engine. Just because it (the norvel) has a higher H.P. rating, doesn't automatically mean that you're gonna get better performance. You've got to have a lot smaller prop (than what that plane wants) to get the norvel into its peak H.P. rpm range. I've got a Enya .11CX engine on my Little Extra, nice performance, but have been tempted to put one of my Cox Conquests on it. Go ahead with the .15. You're gonna like that plane. ...............George K.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 AM
BULLITTGT

hi guys
ordering this plane soon with the magnum .15.
i have a question on the flex tank.
sullivan make two 4 oz style flex tanks...a slant type and one with the fittings facing foreward.
which one works best with the lil extra?
thanks
Old 10-21-2006, 08:49 PM
flyn hy

I too have the Little Extra and as the name implies, it needs a little extra over the .074 or a .10. I have flown mine with a .10 /7x4
and just dropped in a .15 / 7x6. Gave the plane just what it needed. Nice climb out from take off, great vertical climb and all the speed this plane needs. Handling was right on. Loops, inverted and landings. Great combo. Flight time with the stock 2 oz. bottle was about 7-8 minutes. Both the .10 and the .15 are Magnums.
$.02 please.
Mike
Old 10-26-2006, 08:05 PM
BULLITTGT

Hi Mike
Did you need an exhaust extension when running the magnum .15 ?
A tuned pipe would be trick.
And do you suggest a stronger servo than the hitech 55....maybe the 81 servo?
thanks for the advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.