Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Lanier Stinger 10

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:15 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Stinger 10

I visited my local hobby shop today, and talked with a sales rep. I had a discussion about the OS .15 they have on their shelf, and the guy recommended a Lanier Stinger 10 for it. I did some research on that plane, and found that the recommended engine sizes go from a .10 to a .12, with the .15 being the max. So, depending on recommendations, I could order an OS .10 instead of buying the .15 in the case.

I am wondering if anybody has had any experience with this kit, assembly or flying on the field. Would it be too fast for someone with experience on a trainer and simulator? Is the kit hard to build, with its reinforced foam core wing and plastic fuselage? Also, how do you all feel it would handle an engine as big as the .15? Any info would help. Also, I would like to see some photos of finished planes if possible.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-13-2006, 06:05 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Lanier Stinger 10

Like most of the Lanier Kit offerings it's really heavy. I used a fox 15BB on mine and it wasn't really overpowered. I never built the other one that I have but I'd core the wing, get rid of the awful luan plywood and in general put that turkey on a diet. That said if you get the weight down it will probably become a favorite. Even mine was fun to fly but it never was up to the potential that Jerry Smith had designed into it.
dennis
Old 09-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Like Dennis said- use the .15 and save weight were you can. Replace the really heavy pcs and do alot of sanding.
I don't think this is a good second plane- it will fly fast and go were you point it. I enjoyed mine and had great fun w/ it, but you must be on top of it all the time - it is not a floater! Was the .15 at the hobby store a FP or the newer LA? I am real sorry they stopped making the OS FP.15- one of my best engines- light and runs great. If it is the FP in about the 50.00 range I would pick it up.
Dale
Old 09-13-2006, 08:47 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend another hour with the salesman picking out hardware too. cause the ONLY Lanier kit I have is a shrike and it didnt come with one piece of it..not even control horns...Rog
Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
rainedave

I have a Stinger 10 under my bed. I never finished building it. When I bought the kit about six years ago I bought an FP .15 to go with it. I agree that this is a fantascic little engine. I'm all thumbs with vacu-form parts. I hate working with that stuff; others are good at it. Lanier is one the oldest kit/arf manufacturers still around (older now than Goldberg since they own the line) so they have been making modelers happy somewhere. Pass on it. There are many other models out there that you will have more success with.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:22 AM
ptulmer

The Sig Wonder is a good kit for the .15la (or fp), but it is one quick little son-of-a-(bleep).
Old 09-13-2006, 10:30 AM
hogflyer

The Wonder is a great kit, build fast as easy. I'm looking at 30 oz to 31 oz AUW with (2) HS-81 servos, one el-cheapo generic micro for throttle, TT GP-.15, standard Futaba 600mAh flat pack battery, and the new Berg 7ch receiver I just got. I've been told be several people who have built both the Wonder is the lighter and by far the faster of the two. These are guys who fly the 1/12 combat and used the Wonder for practice so they would not tear up their competition planes.

Hey, why not build one of each, do some extensive flight testing and report back to us.

Hogflyer
Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: Schu

Like Dennis said- use the .15 and save weight were you can. Replace the really heavy pcs and do alot of sanding.
I don't think this is a good second plane- it will fly fast and go were you point it. I enjoyed mine and had great fun w/ it, but you must be on top of it all the time - it is not a floater! Was the .15 at the hobby store a FP or the newer LA? I am real sorry they stopped making the OS FP.15- one of my best engines- light and runs great. If it is the FP in about the 50.00 range I would pick it up.
Dale
The engine was an OS .15 CV-A. Its price was $109.00. From what I've read so far, the model seems to be a flying brick. And the construction in and of its self seems to be a challenge. Therefore, I think I'll pass on it and buy an .061 powered Herr Star Cruiser. The LHS said that the Star Cruiser would be almost too heavy to fly, and probably wouldn't do a ROG takeoff. I'll just have to see about that when its built and I get access to a paved runway.

Back to the Stinger: Would it be possible to convert it to control-line flight? It seems like it would do well when set up that way, rather than R/C. Again, thanks.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Diesel_Flyer
Banned

I have had a couple of Stingers. In fact.....if I can get Rainedav to part with the one under his bed I'll have another. I always ditched the ABS crap and built the turtledeck, etc. with foam and covered it with 1/32 sheet. Lighter, and probably stronger. Built light, I personally think they fly great on just any 'ol 15 you have laying around.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:32 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Thanks for the info, Diesel Flyer. A lot of these weight reduction and foam modifications are beyond my skill level as a builder. I did manage to successfully complete a Sig Buster control-line model, and it flew very well. I have no covering experience, except for ironing out an RTF that required very little assembly. Before that, I tried Sterling and Guillow kits, up to the frames, with little or no success. Well, I did manage to cover a couple of the models but they just didn't assemble correctly. They wouldn't build strait.

I decided to have the local hobby shop order me the kit. Whether it flies successfully or not important. It costs money to learn how to do things, especially when it comes to building models. It costs money, and it also costs a lot of time. I don't expect this build to be successful, but it will teach me some methods I need to learn before going into the larger models. It will teach me how to work with and paint ABS plastic parts. It will hopefully teach me how to work with foam, and how to cover properly. I would certainly welcome any assistance from the local hobby shop in getting it assembled, if possible.

Again, I wrote that crashing is a moot issue. It's not important. I can salvage an engine and servos, then build another one better with the skills I've learned from the one I'm about to attempt. And if it flies on the first test, that would be even better as I'll know I'm ready to build something that looks and stays together better. Perhaps the second build will result in something lighter and stronger, with perhaps a mod or two.

I don't want to spend $150.00 for a .40 sized ARF, only to have problems with covering and materials after it's assembled. The kit is only $40.00 initially, and I can buy coverings and materials as I can afford them. I need to learn the internal workings of a model, where batteries and servos go, how linkages hook up, which hardware to inspect on assembly, where to route control wires and how to build a servo platform, etc. So far, I know absolutely none of this. The Stinger kit should help me learn much of what I need to know. And then there's that issue with size. I just don't have room for another plane the size of a school bus in my apartment. I don't care what the folks at the field think, I have no interest in trying to make space for a model that takes up a whole living room and is powered by a magnum chainsaw motor. Why can't people understand that I don't have the money for a horse trailer and a pole barn on a 10 acre farm?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-19-2006, 01:31 PM
2fast4u

Haveing had 2 Stinger 10 planes, I would recommend that you build something else. They fly heavy because they ARE HEAVY! As long as they are hauling butt they fly ok, but they don't slow down well..........ask me how I know....[:@]
Old 09-19-2006, 02:37 PM
flyinrog

2FAST!!!dude where you been..hey didnt you do a review a decade ago for the Norvel Ucan-2 plane???...I am building one now ..sig closed them out so I got it pretty cheap but half of the hardware is missing ,,the rudder ele. rods are both too short, had to cut them in half and put 6 inches of 1/4 in balsa in between them,,thread wrap and ca them together,,hope its a good flyer with an .074 on it...good to see you again , stranger...Rog
Old 09-19-2006, 05:53 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: 2fast4u

Haveing had 2 Stinger 10 planes, I would recommend that you build something else. They fly heavy because they ARE HEAVY! As long as they are hauling butt they fly ok, but they don't slow down well..........ask me how I know....[:@]
Well, OK. If the Stinger 10 is too heavy, would a 40 or 60 be OK? Or are all the Stingers set up that way? For the time being, I really just want to learn how to build a kit. What would be the recommendation for a .15 or .10 sized engine?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-19-2006, 07:30 PM
2fast4u

Hay flyinrog, yea I had one of the first ones. Norvel sponsored me for 1 year before Sig took over and ruined it all. It was a neet little plane. Nothing special but smooth and a good little flyer. I gave it away to a kid just starting out all set up with .074 and servos.

NorfolkSouthern, There is nothing wrong with the Stinget 10, but it's a tight fit all around. I can remember fighting with it a bit due to it's size and just trying to get everything to fit without binding. Things are smaller now, so that may not be such an issue. I would go with some of the other planes listed above for that size rang. As the Stinger gets bigger it gets a better wing loading. The 60 and giant scale planes are good flyers, but the 10?..........NOT!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:53 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern
Well, OK. If the Stinger 10 is too heavy, would a 40 or 60 be OK? Or are all the Stingers set up that way? For the time being, I really just want to learn how to build a kit. What would be the recommendation for a .15 or .10 sized engine?
If you want to learn how to build a kit, I'd suggest buying something from a company that has kits that are known for having good instructions. Sig and Great Planes are two that come to mind. Also, lean toward kits that are closer to what a beginner would fly, their instructions provide more details than more advanced kits. I've only built one Lanier kit, a Shrike 10. If the instructions in their other kits are a vague as this one, I'd say steer clear of them for your first couple builds.

Something like a Sig Seniorita built light, perhaps with less dihedral, ailerons, and as a tail dragger, would do fine with a .15. It wouldn't be a rocket, but it would be lots of fun. There are other good candidates out there.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Diesel_Flyer
Banned

Hmmm I got an idea for him and his 1st plane! What about an ARF Lazy Bee? Cheap and flys great on a .15. Really tame with low control throws and wild with them on high. I think they are less than 100 bucks shipped and let's face it. You can not build a kit for 100 bucks unless you have lots of hardware, etc around the shop.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:42 PM
ptulmer

D_F, he asked for a first kit, not plane. In that vein, how about a House of Balsa offering? I haven't built one myself, but the parts I've ordered from them are simply fantastic in detail. The Spacewalker has always been on my list of "wants".
Old 09-19-2006, 11:42 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I already have a first plane, a Nexstar. So, I'm looking at a kit. I may actually go two ways: An Eaglet 50 for the .15 engine, and a Stinger 60 for the looks and "second plane" purpose. Of course, the .60 engine will keep the guys on the field happy too, while I work the background on the Eaglet. What they don't know, ain't gonna hurt 'em!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-20-2006, 09:34 AM
KidEpoxy

I kept the guys at the place I flew of my back about the 074 & .15 by making Twins.
No matter how small the engine, they cut you slack for using two or more.

Of course, that is a bit much for kitting as a second plane, but something to consider later if the peanut gallery is giving you greif.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:59 AM
ptulmer

If you showed up with this one, they would drool all over you, the table, the airplane... just be careful of the transmitter...

http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/st...J3ASy0GR8157O5

If that ain't enough, show up with a warbird!

FW190
http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/st...J3ASy0GR8970p9
P51
http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/st...J3ASy0GR88i866
P47
http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/st...J3ASy0GR8646U0

... and many others in your size range.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:43 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Well, I wound up committing to the purchase, and it came in yesterday. I am starting on the wing. The package didn't seem like it was very heavy, so it will probably build OK for a .15. And again, there are other kits I can consider besides this one after I get done with it. I'll save it for when I want something more challenging, and then aim for another .15 sized kit for general purpose flying. I have looked at the links, ptulmer, and like what I see so far. If Sig can get those Norvels in (not very likely, at least in my opinion), then I should have a shot at one of those .049 kits as well. I'll do what I can to keep everybody posted.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Crismedicatrix

Hi There!
Are you still considering the stinger 10 !
Sweet looking plane, I bought myself one, also because the kit was on sale for 20 something bucks. Building wasn´t that hard, but it has lots of little details, specially if you follow the list of materials lanier tells you to get. And by the end of the project the plane was not that cheap anylonger!!! These little bolts, hinges, control horns etc added quite a bit to it, so by the end it was a 100 bucks plane and felt that had paid enough for that size of plane! So I thought I should just have bought a regular 40 sized plane where I can struff all my regular gear into it. This is the catch with small aircraft. The kit is cheap, but the radio gear isn´t that cheap, at least it wasn´t 8 years ago when I built mine. Also had it converted to electric flight, but weight was way too much, so did some mods again and put a 15xl magnum in it. The guys are right, not a slow flier !!! and because it is small, you can´t blink !!!
I still think tyhe cheapest way to fly is to have all standard gear. Get an 40 LA engine, put on great planes easy sport, or a high wing citabria or something like that, and just fly !!!
good luck
cris
Old 09-25-2006, 05:44 AM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: Crismedicatrix

Hi There!
Are you still considering the stinger 10 !
Sweet looking plane, I bought myself one, also because the kit was on sale for 20 something bucks. Building wasn´t that hard, but it has lots of little details, specially if you follow the list of materials lanier tells you to get. And by the end of the project the plane was not that cheap anylonger!!! These little bolts, hinges, control horns etc added quite a bit to it, so by the end it was a 100 bucks plane and felt that had paid enough for that size of plane! So I thought I should just have bought a regular 40 sized plane where I can struff all my regular gear into it. This is the catch with small aircraft. The kit is cheap, but the radio gear isn´t that cheap, at least it wasn´t 8 years ago when I built mine. Also had it converted to electric flight, but weight was way too much, so did some mods again and put a 15xl magnum in it. The guys are right, not a slow flier !!! and because it is small, you can´t blink !!!
I still think tyhe cheapest way to fly is to have all standard gear. Get an 40 LA engine, put on great planes easy sport, or a high wing citabria or something like that, and just fly !!!
good luck
cris
I had the Eagle fully built, but not covered. I had a K&B 40 engine. Sadly, I ended up having to sell it. On the Stinger, I have the wing built up and am working on the tail assembly. So far, so good. The ABS doesn't seem too difficult, but then again I used to build high-powered rockets which required lots of epoxy and many plastic parts. I am going to keep this as my project plane and set it up as a non-flying display. It was just too attractive for me to pass up. Meanwhile, I have my sights set on a Goldberg Eagle II with a .40 sized engine, and this may give me enough confidence to buy the kit instead of the ARF. I hate having to let go of the 1/2A end of the hobby, but engine availability is just too limited and you really do have to learn kit building in order to get much variety.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Crismedicatrix

hI AGAIN:

Well, Glad you are building !
But remember to have fun, that is what it is all about, doesn´t matter the size, the power, the noise !!! it is all fun, all of them big and small !!!

Look at these: http://www.imex-protechusa.com/dmzsale.htm

later
cris
Old 09-27-2006, 04:53 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Those are some nice little electrics, Crismedicatrix, and I may consider one when looking for a park flyer. I still prefer glow-powered flight, though. I eventually want to get into multi-engine with 4-strokes. So far, I have the wing almost done, and the fuselage parts are fitted. I trimmed and fitted the ABS parts and am still working on the tail section. When all of this will come together, I'm not sure. I highly doubt I'll be able to afford all the servos and electronics any time soon. The local hobby shop said that my Stinger is very light in build so far, so I must be doing something right. They encouraged me to set it up for flight so one of the instructors at the field can test it. If it flies, then that'll make me a full-blown builder!

NorfolkSouthern

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.