Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr Pitts Special engine choice?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr Pitts Special engine choice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Vin1027

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr Pitts Special engine choice?

It calls for an .061 but the instructions say that a Norvel .074 will power it well if built light. The instructions also say if its going to be built heavy an OS .10 or .15 might be a better choice. I was going to put a OS .15 CV-A on it but some people have told me that it might be overkill and will be too heavy in the front. They say you would have to fly the plane fast and you will nose-over every landing. Does anyone have any experience with this plane? Recommendations?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 AM
AlphaWhisky

Default RE: Herr Pitts Special engine choice?

Mine weighs in at 32 ozs and is powered with an OS 10 FSR. It is surprisingly easy to fly - not too twitchy at all. It has a very gentle glide approach for landing too. It`s only had a few flights so far and all in rather gusty conditions. I was a little dubious about this one but it has proved to be easier to fly than I expected.

Alan W
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39413.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	526038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90067.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	526039  
Old 09-18-2006, 04:06 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Vin1027

It calls for an .061 but the instructions say that a Norvel .074 will power it well if built light. The instructions also say if its going to be built heavy an OS .10 or .15 might be a better choice. I was going to put a OS .15 CV-A on it but some people have told me that it might be overkill and will be too heavy in the front. They say you would have to fly the plane fast and you will nose-over every landing. Does anyone have any experience with this plane? Recommendations?
The site says .074-.15, Haven't flown one but I understand you have to land pretty fast anyway because of all the drag that the biplane creates...ie. it doesnt glide well...Rog
Old 09-18-2006, 12:39 PM
hellyeh

I have ordered one , and plan to use an OS .26 FS . Hopefully it will work out OK , if not , i guess i'll have to go with a .10 or .15 2 stroke .
Old 09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Vin1027

Nice job. I think I might go with the OS .15CV-A. The OS .10FSR isn't listed on the Tower hobbies website. Do they still make them?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:54 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alan - nice looking airplane! How does that .10 fly it? I may have one of those around - my dad recently passed away, and there was an OS 10 in his stuff, I'll have to look at which particular version it was. He'd like seeing it in a neat little biplane..
Old 09-18-2006, 07:40 PM
AlphaWhisky

I have several OS 10`s lying around - among them an FP. a couple of FSR`s, and also a new LA. I reckon any of them would fly the little Pitts well. To my way of thinking the idea is to keep it as light as possible. I reckon if you load in a screaming .25 you will crank up the weight and it will fly faster, but not necessarily any better.

As it is it flies basic aerobatics OK, but I very much doubt you`d ever get a little model like this to fly crisp aerobatics like the real thing. It struggled to get started in the grass at our local park - just as well I left the wheel pants off. It will handle our well mowed regular strip OK though. As mentioned above, I found it slowed down quick when the power came back for landing, but it floated surprisingly well and landed slowly, without any hint of tip stalling. I haven`t tipped it on its nose landing yet either.

I built this pretty much to the plan and there seemed to be a minor problem with the angle of incidence - I had to feed in a lot of down elevator to keep it flying level. That has been adjusted at the elevator horn and it now flies OK, but the down elevator is readily visible at rest. I suppose I could try packing up the top wing TE, but haven`t got around to playing with that yet.

Alan W

Old 09-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Bolio

I added to mine a shim around 1/16" in the back of the top wing and the elevator became more neutral.
Mine is powered by a Norvel .074 and flies very light, but I'm at sea level so is a real floater. I would like to have more power on the vertical maneuvers.
Saludos.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Mustang Mike

I'm building the Pitts and I'm curious about a bigger engine in mine. How did the .26 work out for you?
Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Mustang Mike

Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Mustang Mike

I'm building the Pitts and I'm considering a bigger engine. How did the .26 work out for you?
ORIGINAL: hellyeh

I have ordered one , and plan to use an OS .26 FS . Hopefully it will work out OK , if not , i guess i'll have to go with a .10 or .15 2 stroke .
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 AM
klord125

My uncle has one he built. He has OS15 LA in it. It flys well with plenty of power. It does land fast but I think it would for the most part with any combo. He said he had read some where a guy tried all 3 engines norvel .074 OS10 and the .15,and said it performs extremly well with the .15. Just my .02 cents
Old 04-21-2012, 03:59 PM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnum .15 xls is a good choice.