Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

270 mah battery

Old 01-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Mi Nan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 270 mah battery

how long should a 270 mah battery be charged with a slow charger that comes with a radio? I have a Hanger 9 double vision fast charger but it doesn't recommend charging this small of a battery. I just finnished a HOB spacewalker and I'm puttin a 270 mah battery in it. Thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 01-13-2003, 09:42 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default 270 mah battery

Your best off asking this over in the batteries forum where you can get the whole disertation on how and why it is bad, but I'll give you a basic reason why you have to be careful. Most wall chargers put out about 50mAh on the receiver side (look on yours and see what it says). So, theoretically it would take about 5.5 hours to charge a dead 270mAh. The danger with charging the smaller stuff on the wall chargers is that some of the smaller, slow charge cells are more fragile to overcharging than say your average 600mAh pack. So, if somebody sticks one on the wall charger and forgets about it till the next day (say, 12-14 hours later) you risk overcharging it and damaging the cells. For some of my small packs I actually charge them at a faster rate but I keep a very close eye on them and make sure they are not getting too warm. If I forget to take them off in a timely manner, I risk destroying the pack.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:23 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default Batteries

Ditto what troy says a rule of thumb for wall warts or over nite chargers is 10 to 15 % of battery capacity, if you have a 50 mah charger and a 1500 mah battery the battery wont reach a good peak charge, and if you hot charge it you risk killing the pack, a good investment is a good combo cycler and conditioner, and also if you put a load tester on these small packs you can drain a lot of the current out just with the tester before a flight, I know that the 110 mah packs i have are not safe to fly with if I put My field tester on for just a few seconds which has a 350mah load,Just do what Troy says and watch the Temp of the pack and you may slide by, Airtronics makes a charge reducer for use with wall warts,just for small 110 to 270 packs