Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Winter Flying

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:02 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Flying

Here's the dieselized Norvel .074 flying the MiniSport in the winter.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...30773&hl=en-CA

Yes, the fins were turned down. This was not to compensate for flying in cold weather. This was done long before, in the summer, as I was concerned that the relatively large fin area was forcing the Norvels to run too cool. I now no longer believe that and am satisfied that Norvel got it right the first time. An engine can run too hot but it takes a LOT to make it run too cool. Notice after I dump the plane, that I get a start with the engine covered in snow and definitely cooler than normal. That was a start at idle and the engine came up to temps pretty quick for good acceleration. The same engine, with the enormous fin area, will be flown again, this winter, to drive the cool running concept to the max.

On the super cool start, notice that the starter cup slipped several times. This wasn't because of hydraulic lock but due to oil getting on the rubber. A bit of wiping down of the cup and spinner solved the problem. But this custom made starter WILL stall with no damage to the engine in case of engine lockup.

This video also illustrates the torque and acceleration possible with a dieselized engine. This is an .074 driving a Cox, 8 X 4 grey. On the uplines, even when punching the throttle , the engines just growls into life and doesn't miss a beat. Love that little engine.

The fuel used was the 40/40/20 mix, castor and and with Amsoil at 2%. Along with the extra cooling fins, I'll be trying various low and no ether mixes. Lots of stuff to try in cold weather. Feel sorry for the LA and Florida guys, they just don't know how much fun this is. And at 40 below, we just hunker down in the shop and build,,, or repair, [:@] as the case may be.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22246.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	532343  
Old 09-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Larry Driskill

Default RE: Winter Flying

Hey Andy, Good Morning,

What are the merits of storing / hanging planes nose up vice nose down?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:33 PM
AndyW

Larry,

Hopefully this question won't turn into another downwind turn debate but I store my planes, hanging from the nose. Only so that oil doesn't drip on the floor. No merits, as far as I can see, for one way or the other as far as the engine is concerned.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:42 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Andy

How about some nice tight still pictures of your plane? Great looking and flying.

Larry

Storing planes by hanging engine high keeps acids and other crankcase baddies out of the engine bearings.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:11 PM
AndyW

Hi Rich,

Many thanks. Will take some stills at the next flying session. And no, it won't be on skis, I'm not THAT far north.

Keeping the products of combustion away from the moving bits sounds like a good idea. Guess I got lucky. Haven't had any rust problems for a long time.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Boy, that looks like a lot of fun. I wish we got snow like that.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:34 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer
I wish we got snow like that.
'I loved Arkansas'
'The check is in the mail.'
'I never had sex with that woman.'

Some people can't help themselfs.