Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A contest event

Old 10-03-2006, 09:34 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/2A contest event

Okay I was brainstormin at work last night.... we take your .049-.061 plane and add maybe 5-8cc of fuel so engine doesnt matter.. you get 30 seconds of flight( 1 minute at the outside) to trim the plane to slow ascent in large left hand circle...then you hand your tx over to your partner/nemisis,,,once you run out of fuel you get your Tx back...if you have to take your tx back before you run out, your DNF (did not finish) and out of the contest, bonus points for landing closest to the circle....what do you guys think?..we would def need an LS150 type of plane and probably a throttle, no way a SWR could play this game, at least I dont think so....Rog
Old 10-03-2006, 02:49 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A contest event

I'd win easily with my 1/2A texaco model. I often trim it in this manner within seconds of launching it and then just watch it fly with the Tx hanging loosely from one hand.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

I figured I'd hear from you Bruce and maybe BF too...seemed like a good idea at the time,,theres no room to practice free flight around here,,you always see the dirt bike recovery vehicles in the pics of what looks like desert..its not allowed at our fields...Rog
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Free Flight?

I was musing around in the AMA forum not long ago, made a coment about a big FF

Wonder how high a 30% B24 with quad 277Rotax and 60gals gas would go if well trimmed?
Not that I would do it, but as an exercise in theory.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:36 AM
hogflyer

Back in the 1980's Jim Campbell set an altitude record. I believe he used a Maxair Drifter with either a 277 or 377. I want to think he made it into the low 30,000 ft range - I have the article in an ultralight magazine packed away someplace. You just have to either rejet the engines for better operation at that altitude, or use something like the Elison Throttle Body. I'd think your hypothetical B-24 should be able to make into the 30's provided the engines keep running.

Hogflyer
Old 10-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sort of an RC assist contest. Neat idea!

Everyone thinks that Bruce builds his models to fly so well because he's a perfectionist. The truth is, he's too lazy to fly 'em.