Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Sure Start add on's?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sure Start add on's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:47 AM
andrew b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sure Start add on's?

Can anyone tell me if a texaco or golden bee tank assembly will fit onto a "plastic backplate" $7 surestart? I just want to be able to have a complete engine/tank unit. I will be fitting the assembly on a pusher propped model, so if there is a cox part number for the tank assembly, preferably somewhere that sells the tank assemblys, pusher props and they don't rip my pocket for postage to UK.

Andrew
Old 10-06-2006, 06:46 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sure Start add on's?

All the various reed .049 engine tanks will fit the SureStart engine. Dunno where you'll find a new tank kit for sale. You should be able to find plenty of them used though....in the U.K. as well.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:59 AM
SGC

Andrew,
Try here :- http://selecthobbies.com/CoxPartsPage.html
Stewart
Old 10-06-2006, 07:36 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Yep, I bet Skaliwag will do everything he can to keep postage down for folks in the homeland.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the lack of a thrust washer on the Surestart. You're gonna have fits with that thing in pusher mode. A thrust washer can be added, but you need to remove some material from the front of the crankcase. I have just waited and let the starter grind it down and put a fiber washer in... Either way, I just wanted to point this fault in the SS out.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:56 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Andrew... E-mail me and I will 'Massage" a Postage and Paypal deal for you.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:08 AM
andrew b

I read thru the FAQ on cox stuff for a start, I read about the thrust washer thats needed, I have a load of berylium/copper washers of various thicknesses that will slide in nicely. I had a look around but I can't find any tank assemblies ( the larger 8cc black ones ) or even shops selling them at sensible prces, much less 5 or 6 X 3 pusher props. I could always run the motor backwards and lose a bit of efficiency with the standard ccw prop. Even Cox-Estes don't seem to be selling them.

SGC, "Tileprint" is great, best $15 I spent, the "Dracon" is going to get some parts cut tonight and assembled over this weekend ONCE I HAVE CLEARED THE LITTER FROM MY BENCH
Old 10-06-2006, 10:27 AM
andrew b

I sent Skaliwag mails, I forgot I would need the long screws for the tank to motor [:-]
Old 10-06-2006, 10:50 AM
SGC

Andrew,
My sons Dracon used a Cox Blackwidow and a Grish white nylon 5x4" on backwards and ran the motor to suit . I fitted the motor with the opposite hand spring starter- old style that hooks the prop. maybe you can dig 1 of them up somewere they are the best thing to get a cox going.
Stewart
Old 10-06-2006, 11:42 AM
andrew b

Thats a good idea Stewart, I'll have 2 of them as well if I can't get reverse props,. I like the snapstarters on cox motors