Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

help me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:34 PM
JasonFalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me!!!!

please anybody somebody
I cant get my surestart to start
the glow head glows bright
I am usin 25% nitro fuel and it is fresh
WHY ME!?!?!?!?!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49168.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	536385  
Old 10-06-2006, 10:57 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: help me!!!!

JASON I AM SHOUTING AT YOU... CAN YOU HEAR ME....GET IN TOUCH WITH CHUCK.... AKA CP (cOmbatpigg) THIS WEEKEND. HE LIVES IN THE SAME TOWN AS YOU. HE IS AN EXPERIENCED ENGINE MAN.. HE HAS ENGINES THAT MAKE THE SURE START LOOK LIKE SOMETHING FRED FLINTSTONE WOULD USE. HE HAS FORGOTTEN MORE THAN MOST WILL EVER KNOW ABOUT GETTING A SMAL ENGINE TO RUN (AND HOW IT WORKS AND WHY). AND THEN HE CAN SHOW YOU HOW TO MAKE AN AIRPLANE THAT WILL FLY AND HELP YOU WITH OTHER AREAS OF THIS HOBBY THAT YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO ENJOY. TELL YOUR PARENTS OR AN ADULT FRIEND ABOUT US SO THEY WILL KNOW WE ARE NOT WAY OUT CRANKS ON THE INTERNET AND WILL NOT BE WORRIED ABOUT YOU HANGING ABOUT IN CYBER-SPACE AND MEETING WITH PEOPLE THAT THEY DO NOT KNOW.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:19 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few things that might help.

Make sure the four screw on the back are tight, that the cylider is tight and the glow head is tight. Air leaks really mess up Cox engines.

Use small diamater fuel tubing. I use the small surgical tubing that SIG sells. It has never failed me. Fuel tubing makes a big difference with small engines.

Make sure your tank has no air leaks and that the vent isn't clogged.

Use fresh fuel. This is important with Cox engines.

Use a fresh battery. If the glowhead glows orange it will probably never start. Mine never have. The coil needs to be bright yellow.

Open the needle valve around three turns. Put your finger over the opening of the choke ( the gray plastic tube sticking up behind the cylinder). Flip the prop until you see fuel flowing up the fuel tubing. Squirt a drop or two of fuel into the exhaust slits (priming). Too much will flood it.

Attach the battery clip. You should hear a quiet sizzling noise. Pull the prop back against the spring one rotation. When you let go it should at least pop on the prime.

If you still doesn't fire, close the needle valve 1/2 a turn, re-choke, re-prime and try again.

You might have dirt around the reed. This will require disassempling the engine and flushing it out with some fuel.

It takes practice, but once you fool around with priming and choking you'll get the hang of it.

Here's a pic of what works for me. It's a Hayes 2oz tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73396.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	536403  
Old 10-07-2006, 01:47 AM
JasonFalls

thanks rainedave!
my battery was crap(but it still made it glow)
and smaller fuel seemed to work better
THANK YOU!!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:57 AM
peter_gibbons

Hey there, RainDave is right... just stick with it, you'll get it working. Then, when you get it runninng consistently, and you get them to start all the time, you will look back and laugh about it, until, you get a humid day or, for that matter just one hour of any day, it wont make the power you are used to, then, whamo, its running fine again. Lots of people talk trash about cox motors. For me, over 20 years ago, i would sit at the school yard hours upon hours upon hours learning how to get those things to run. Because of all that time spent, I learned everything i needed to learn about every model airplane, motorcycle, car, or wheedwhacker engine. Most of all, I learned patience. Just remember, if you have glow, compression, and fuel, there is no reason why any engine should at least fire. After that you simply track problems backward till it runs. Im a cox fan, always will be, i get good strong runs out of mine consistently. I even use 10% nitro and for some reason mine still out perform most folks....

Good Luck
Old 10-07-2006, 08:48 AM
propbuster

Welcome to wonderful, often frustrating world of Cox engines. Patience is certainly a virtue when dealing with them. I spent hours as a kid trying to get them to run well and still do some times. Only now, if the 1/2a stuff won't run, I can fire up a .46 or .61 and blast holes in the sky.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:15 AM
rainedave

I'm glad that helped, Jason.

I would still take up combatpig's offer. You can learn more about the hobby in one afternoon with an old master (are you old, CP?) than you can in a month on the internet. I would probably not be in this hobby today if I hadn't been lucky enough to meet the right person when I started in r/c. There are so many things in this hobby that can only be learned through real-world experience, or from someone who already has that experience. I'll bet if you just watched CP start a Cox engine you'd pick up more info than from reading this whole forum.

The invaluable resources in this hobby are the other modelers who have been there and done that. They're a dying breed so take take advantage of them. I posted a thread a while back about my late friend I referred to above:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46...tm.htm#4624207
Old 10-07-2006, 11:50 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: rainedave

....(are you old, CP?) .....
He's not older than dirt but he was around when it was in Patent Pending....

Jason, I have to agree with the others. Spending a day with other modelers at the flying feild is like getting a university degree in modeling. Besides, this is a sport best shared with others for the comraderie. You'll have a blast at the fields.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:41 PM
indoorff
My Feedback: (2)

Jason - check out an article I wrote on starting and caring for cox 049's. You may find it useful.

http://www.freewebs.com/doughtyhobbies/049tips.htm

Chris
Old 10-08-2006, 07:55 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And then when you get it all running right you launch your plane and find that it is running backwards.

(Something else to watch out for!)

George