Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Guru advice needed

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Guru advice needed

Old 10-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Smooth Spanky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A Guru advice needed

As part of my ongoing quest to stretch my r/c plane interests well beyond my time available (or skill), I'm looking to try my hand at 1/2A. I'm thinking this could be my main winter project this year.

Here's more or less what I'm looking for:

- Looking for a kit, not an ARF. My building skill is no better than average.
- Ideal kit would be laser-cut and have interlocking construction used where practical.
- Full house controls. Landing gear for ROG.
- Since I'm new to this, I don't have a motor, but I'm not interested in non-throttled motors.
- Mission of plane will be sport flying - no 3D. I'm thinking something like a warbird (corsair) or a J3 Cub perhaps.
- Looking for something with a fairly robust design (my landings still leave something to be desired occasionally )
- I'm prepared to pay for decent quality

OK, anybody got any tips for me? I'd appreciate any advice at all.

SS
Old 10-22-2006, 06:11 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Guru advice needed

Spanky, I will start you off with Herr Models kits. You will find no better Laser interlocking struture that builds strong and light. They have 2 Warbirds in their line. A P 51D Mustang and AT-6 Texan Do a search on the Herr line and you will find only good things said.. The Texan kit. is about $37.00 An awfully good price for what you get.

Robert
Old 10-22-2006, 06:21 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant say anything bad about Herr ,but I havent built one, I hear its the type of model you throw in a bottle of CA in the box and shake it up and out comes a plane..I can and do recommend the Ace Simple series, they come in warbirds, J-3, Corsair..and others and are about $40 diecut not lazer , great hardware pak in them foam wings, a pretty quick build..the J-3 recommends the Thunder Tiger GP-07 engine...good throttlable (is that a word?) engine..I'll put up a link later, if I try it now I'll loose all this...Rog

http://www.thundertiger4u.com/gp07-a...ne-p-7518.html
this is the link to the engine..look up airplanes and see the simple series..
Old 10-22-2006, 08:56 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Well, the Ulmer-R/C DNU! from www.selecthobbies.com (at the bottom of the kits page) has many interlocking parts. The shear web is a unit with slots that the also slotted ribs will slide into. Slots for the formers and firewall make placing them a simple job. And the guy that designed it is one darn good-looking fella....
Old 10-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Smooth Spanky

Thanks very much for the info guys. I've checked out both options - they look great. Thanks again
Old 10-23-2006, 09:29 AM
old git

I watched the start of a post on the Herr Aqua Star, it looked so good that I bought a couple of the kits on eBay. By the time the model build thread was complete I wished I hadn't bought them. It became evident that they were very poor seaplanes, unable to take off water. They joined the pile of kits I may never get around to building.

On the bright side, maybe they fly well off hard standing. Wishing you the best of luck, Herr kits really do look good.

old git - - - - - - AKA John L.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:21 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: old git

I watched the start of a post on the Herr Aqua Star, it looked so good that I bought a couple of the kits on eBay. By the time the model build thread was complete I wished I hadn't bought them. It became evident that they were very poor seaplanes, unable to take off water. They joined the pile of kits I may never get around to building.

On the bright side, maybe they fly well off hard standing. Wishing you the best of luck, Herr kits really do look good.

old git - - - - - - AKA John L.
The Aqua Star is a good looking airplane, cute and all that, and the kit goes together pretty well. But yeah, for sure they did not do enough homework before releasing it. It does have some water handling issues. But they can be made to work okay, there are tips around for that and my kit contained a supplement describing installation of chines. It is of course unfortunate that a kit had to be modified to do what it is supposed to do. All I could possibly say in their defense is that designing an effective flying boat is a lot tougher than a conventional aircraft, so I wouldn't hold the Aqua-Star problems against them in terms of the other aircraft in their lineup. But a spank on the wrist for not testing it more might be appropriate.

In any case it doesn't qualify, it is three channel versus full house.

MJD
Old 10-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Smooth Spanky

John & MJD: Thanks for the additional info, I really appreciate it.

SS
Old 10-23-2006, 10:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

We are in a holding pattern until an engine company can come forward with another great running .061 like the Norvel BigMig. Until then if you want something small with an excellent throttle, I would go electric.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:04 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

We are in a holding pattern until an engine company can come forward with another great running .061 like the Norvel BigMig. Until then if you want something small with an excellent throttle, I would go electric.
Question for you CP or anyone who knows ther Norvels well - I bought an .061 a while back, and my memory isn't helping me with the designation, but it was the one of the two versions that was supposed to be slightly higher perfomance - is that the "BigMig"? If so, I believe I have also seen comments indicating it was not that friendly in terms of carb operation, idle, transition etc. Mine is sitting on hold in my 1/2a engine drawer, and I haven't started it up yet. What's the scoop on this one?

Thx

MJD
Old 10-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: MJD

..........I bought an .061 a while back, and my memory isn't helping me with the designation, but it was the one of the two versions that was supposed to be slightly higher perfomance - is that the "BigMig"? If so, I believe I have also seen comments indicating it was not that friendly in terms of carb operation, idle, transition etc. Mine is sitting on hold in my 1/2a engine drawer, and I haven't started it up yet. What's the scoop on this one?
The higher performance model is the AME -- it is identical in outward appearance to the Big Mig, but the AME has 3 larger oblong intake ports and the Big Mig has 5 smaller, almost round, intake ports. While the AME will throttle, it was designed for all out top end -- hence better breathing -- and would sometimes not have as good an idle or midrange as the Big Mig. While the Big Mig will swing a 6x3, the AME's performed better with smaller props that allowed them to turn up enough to get into their power band. Some of the early versions of the AME were more tightly fitted than the Big Mig at the top end and required a careful and extended breakin to come up to full potential. A few of the AME C/L versions also shipped with a high performance venturi and required crankcase pressure or a bladder to run due to the more open venturi. I am not aware of any differences in the R/C carb between the two.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:03 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Andrew

The higher performance model is the AME -- it is identical in outward appearance to the Big Mig, but the AME has 3 larger oblong intake ports and the Big Mig has 5 smaller, almost round, intake ports. While the AME will throttle, it was designed for all out top end -- hence better breathing -- and would sometimes not have as good an idle or midrange as the Big Mig. While the Big Mig will swing a 6x3, the AME's performed better with smaller props that allowed them to turn up enough to get into their power band. Some of the early versions of the AME were more tightly fitted than the Big Mig at the top end and required a careful and extended breakin to come up to full potential. A few of the AME C/L versions also shipped with a high performance venturi and required crankcase pressure or a bladder to run due to the more open venturi. I am not aware of any differences in the R/C carb between the two.
Thanks Andrew - that tweaks my memory, and it is indeed the AME. From your description it is the same basic carb (and basic it is) on a more tempermentally ported engine. Well, nothing to do but get it on the test stand is there? I'll use a 5-3 rather than the 6-3 and see how it behaves. Thanks for the information.

MJD