Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Stuck building 1/2a shrike

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Stuck building 1/2a shrike

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
BSARGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck building 1/2a shrike

I am building the fuse of the shrike and the instructions say to cut 4, 1-11/16" long servo rails. There are notches for them in the sides of the fuse. One says to go behind F3(for the throttle servo) then it says to cut out G2 from sheet one and glue under the servo rail as shown on the plans.....well....I don't have a G2 nor do I see it on the plans....also the plans show the throttle servo in front of F3...but the servo rail is behind it! I am so confused[sm=confused.gif].....if anyone who has built one could help me out here I would really appreciate it!

thanks
-Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29903.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	547913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74420.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	547914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15751.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	547915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22511.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	547916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55547.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	547917  
Old 10-25-2006, 01:39 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Stuck building 1/2a shrike

I'm at work so I can't look at my plans, but from what I remember, the thing that goes under the throttle servo rail is the little triangle. It's necessary because later you will cut half of the throttle servo rail off.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill --

Give us an image of your plans with the fuselage in the center -- the shot in your photos just cuts off the servo location. My plans are at home too -- although finding them could be a problem.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:35 PM
BSARGE

ORIGINAL: Andrew

Bill --

Give us an image of your plans with the fuselage in the center -- the shot in your photos just cuts off the servo location. My plans are at home too -- although finding them could be a problem.
Ok, I took a couple and uploaded them to the original post...I hope you can read them....
Old 10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BSARGE,

This probably isn't the reply you want but I really wouldnt sweat this detail. G stands for gusset, it is a triangular piece of stock just like the G1 pieces shown. If I were building this I would just use a small pico servo for the throttle Or the smalest you have and double sided tape it to F3. Then hit the tape with some thin ca. It will not come loose.

Darren
Old 10-25-2006, 04:34 PM
BSARGE

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam

BSARGE,

This probably isn't the reply you want but I really wouldnt sweat this detail. G stands for gusset, it is a triangular piece of stock just like the G1 pieces shown. If I were building this I would just use a small pico servo for the throttle Or the smalest you have and double sided tape it to F3. Then hit the tape with some thin ca. It will not come loose.

Darren
I guess what concerns me the most is the instructions say to put the servo rail behind F3(which there is a cutout in the fuse side for)...but the plans show the servo in front of F3.....or maybe as you said....don't worry about....just tape it and fly it!

thanks
-Bill

Old 10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: BSARGE

I guess what concerns me the most is the instructions say to put the servo rail behind F3(which there is a cutout in the fuse side for)...but the plans show the servo in front of F3.....or maybe as you said....don't worry about....just tape it and fly it!
Darren's advice is sound -- I'm sort of "old school" and prefer rails, but lots of folks use double sided tape. It's light and quick, but can be a booger to get loose if you need to change servos or replace gears. Be sure your throttle linkage does not bind and use the smallest servo you have. Use your TX EPA to set the throttle limits and don't rely on a throttle stop -- stops only stall the servo. Put it forward of F3 -- you may have to notch F3 to allow for servo arm movement if it is taped.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:15 PM
rrragmanliam

I'm hearing you Bill the instructions and plan seem to be in confict with each other. Ya know for as long as this plane has been around you would think the MFG would of caught that little discrepency. Another option would be to just make your own rails after the fuse is built and install whatever servo your going to use. I have never had a taped servo come loose as long as it's installed correctly. A coulpe of tips are:

Use the 3M brand outdoor type tape thats made for sticking up numbers an so forth on a house. It's super sticky and strong.

Put a few light score marks in the servo case with a hobby knife where the tape will go.

Clean the servo case and former with Alcohlol. The servo case has a release agent on it from the molding process that needs to be removed.

Once in place hit the tape with some THIN ca.

Good luck with the build and keep the pictures comming.

Darren
Old 10-25-2006, 06:01 PM
flyinrog

I was looking at this problem too..I'm thinking ..wire the throttle open, and leave the servo at home.. its not like we're gonna be doing slow passes on it right!!...Rog
Old 10-25-2006, 07:03 PM
BSARGE

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

I was looking at this problem too..I'm thinking ..wire the throttle open, and leave the servo at home.. its not like we're gonna be doing slow passes on it right!!...Rog

Great point!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:06 PM
flyinrog

Oh btw I just got the shrike .10 in the G2 is on sheet one on that plane and the other sizes except the 1/2A plane.....Rog
Old 10-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Oh btw I just got the shrike .10 in the G2 is on sheet one on that plane and the other sizes except the 1/2A plane.....Rog
huh?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:07 PM
rrragmanliam

Sneasle,

I understand what Rog is saying. The G2 gusset is not included or a part of the 1/2A kit that BSARGE is building. It's a part of the .10 size and larger kit only. Probably the MFG downsized a popular kit into a 1/2A aplication and didn't include this change in the instuctions.

Darren
Old 10-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Sneasle

ah, ok, i get it now. sounds logical.

i wonder.. should i get the .10 size for my os .10, ot the 1/2a one?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Hi BSARGE,

the G2 gusset can be placed further back, so that the throttle servo shares the mount with the aileron and elevator servos.
I uploaded a pic of my 1/2A Shrike re-build after a head-on collision with a .40 sized trainer, that just happens to show
the servos and thethrottle servo forward mount with the gusset, if you look close. This gets the throttle servo further back, and
makes installing the tank easier, especially if you use a 1.5 or 2 oz. tank. Since the time this pic was taken, I have done
away with the throttle altogether; installed a C/L hi-performance venturi on the engine, and removed the throttle servo.
To me, the throttle is nearly useless on the 1/2A Shrike, as one won't be taking off of the ground, and you won't likely
be doing touch-and-go's, or landing under power... I figured I might as well save the weight of the servo, and potential
air and fuel leakage with Norvel's R/C carburetor design (barrel to body fit, fuel nipple fit where it threads into the barrel).
The C/L venturi is dead simple (less can go wrong), and the air flow path is smoother than the R/C carb inlet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65634.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	548476  
Old 10-26-2006, 07:59 AM
flyinrog

I dont think you could fit a .10 on the 1/2A kit, heck the .061 barley fits that why I thought of wiring the throttle open.....if you go to the Sport Flying forum, there is a huge thread on Shrikes and I think some guys are even stuffing .40's in the .10 model!! but that even a .25 is overkill...it is some good reading and pics...go look...Rog

Yes Darren thanks for clearing up my thread the instr say the G2 is on sheet one, it is on the .10 size but it doesnt exist on the 1/2A size...
Old 10-26-2006, 01:44 PM
rrragmanliam

ORIGINAL: Electric Delta

Hi BSARGE,

the G2 gusset can be placed further back, so that the throttle servo shares the mount with the aileron and elevator servos.
I uploaded a pic of my 1/2A Shrike re-build after a head-on collision with a .40 sized trainer, that just happens to show
the servos and thethrottle servo forward mount with the gusset, if you look close. This gets the throttle servo further back, and
makes installing the tank easier, especially if you use a 1.5 or 2 oz. tank. Since the time this pic was taken, I have done
away with the throttle altogether; installed a C/L hi-performance venturi on the engine, and removed the throttle servo.
To me, the throttle is nearly useless on the 1/2A Shrike, as one won't be taking off of the ground, and you won't likely
be doing touch-and-go's, or landing under power... I figured I might as well save the weight of the servo, and potential
air and fuel leakage with Norvel's R/C carburetor design (barrel to body fit, fuel nipple fit where it threads into the barrel).
The C/L venturi is dead simple (less can go wrong), and the air flow path is smoother than the R/C carb inlet.
Hello ED,

Man all this feedback on the 1/2A Shrike is "a giving me a hankerin to build one". Like you initialy did, put the throttle servo where it works best according to the aplication. I'm sure Bill can now see that this isn't major issue as you put the servo in back of the F3 former. I think Combattpig nailed it in a previous thread " the plan is just a rough guide" ultimatly you will change a few things here and there to suit the aplication.

A throttle servo isn't necessary but, it's nice to be able to chop the throttle when you get in a jam, or are having problems that require bringing in the plane prior to the fuel running out. Nothing will pucker your hind end like the initial flight of new plane with no throttle on it. If you use a small enough servo it will only cost you 4-6 grams of weight and you can remove it once you have the plane dialed in.

Darren