Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A combat!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:12 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/2A combat!!

I dont know squat about combat, it was just a cheap plane and it looks like a quick build too..the only Lanier kit with actual hardware......there was one thing I had to look twice at..bend the control rod for the carb link then bend the other end for the servo then...cut it in half and hold it together with a small piece of fuel line?!!!,I guess its for strikes to make it come loose instead of damage ? I went over the instructs briefly last night and it seems like a quick build...dont believe I've ever seen the clear duct tape it calls for though??..Rog
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A combat!!

Shall we add a combat session to the next race date? If we do here are a few suggestions/guidlines.

Helmets
.061 or smaller any motor you want/.09 diesel.
Any airframe you want.
No landing gear
No twins
10' leader - 10' streamer (we can talk about that one)
No whiners!

Vic
Old 10-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rog,

I am living proof that the fuel-tubing-throttle-wire holding idea works. WOT, straight down, Open-B combat, divot. Airframe barely recognizeable as a former model. Throttle servo the only thing left that wasn't broken. In fact, whoever sells Predator combat kits includes that in their manual.

Actually, I think that Lanier 1/2A combat model would make a pretty good trainer too - since its pretty much a powered glider - OK with maybe a little more power than necessary but that's why one would use an engine that has a throttle-able carb (and muffler) - unlike my new favorite, reedies.

Vic,

Ok if you twist my arm I'll play combat.

One question, why helmets? If there is ever a time when we need them is during the "who can land nearest to Rog" event - or anytime the CC gets together to race. . . . Oh, I see your point now. How 'bout body armor?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:32 PM
vicman

One question, why helmets? If there is ever a time when we need them is during the "who can land nearest to Rog" event - or anytime the CC gets together to race. . . . Oh, I see your point now. How 'bout body armor?
Have you looked at your drivers license lately? At your age I wouldn't go around tempting "natural selection".[sm=bananahead.gif]
Obviously you missed where my rivets landed last.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:46 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the ground and air is perfectly dry, 20-25 feet of streamer is what you want to start out with. 10 feet looks like a little stub to shoot at. 10 feet of the wimpiest cotton string is what you want for a leader, 15 feet gets the streamer further away from the plane to help discourage midairs. The full rolls of crepe paper should be band sawed right down the middle, so you end up towing 3/4" wide streamers. 2 oz tanks with BigMigs, 300 mil packs and a pair of mini servos are all you need to know about 1/2A combat. A simple high winged plane with R/E control and 36 inches of span makes a great combat plane if you keep the weight to about 14 ozs or less.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:31 AM
vicman

I put the diesel rule in there just for you CP! You need to attempt to make it out for one of these things.[8D]
Old 10-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Toad

I think we need to meet near Vegas for a funfly, All the major airlines offer cheap prices to there because of cassino kickbacks.
Would be a blast and easy to get to no matter what part of the country one lives in, I realize anything over $25 can be way too exspensive to some of us, but wow what a good time to be had and I am sure, well worth it!
The model Heli guys just do it, they dont worry about the cost, they do it. their funfly events are truely a blast to attend. I think a 1/2a funfly would be as much fun.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Toad,
It's already done every year in Arkansas in June at the small meet- huge group of like minded people- I've done it a couple of years and it's a great time.
Dale
Old 10-27-2006, 06:57 PM
combatpigg

........but Toads' point is that the airfare to Vegas is dirt cheap, compared to anywhere else. Low altitude, few insects, dry air, great night life, not a bad idea. I wonder what kind of flying facilities they have there? Combat sucks if you crash into sun baked, rock hard ground.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Toad

There are places to fly over grass, in or near Vegas and my point was the cheap travel arrangements making a vegas venue easy for all to attend. Besides, I know of the ones held in Arkansas, two a yr just is not enough!
Nothing wrong with sharing the fun is how I see it, Heli funfly's held nation wide durring flying season, almost every weekend. Very well attended and ya see a lot of familiar faces at them, the next week ya see em again, five states away. It is alot of fun.
I think a vegas one would be a blast, next time I go to Brooks Oregon for the annual heli gig there, I would love to hookup with the pig and burn a few ounces. I have never tried !/2a rc combat, but I did do the "Gremlin" size with .46's and had a great time, what a hoot, I am all for 1/2a rc combat and 1/2a pylon. I cant seem to get excited about speed trials though. Just 1/2a seems more fun with more than one in the air at a time
Old 10-27-2006, 08:20 PM
combatpigg

Toad, you're welcome anytime. The local 1/2A pylon class runs every 3rd Saturday for the next 5 months and my Rogue Flyer* Field is open anytime they aren't working it for hay.

*this term was coined over at the AMA "gripe" forum. I think it sounds cool. I think of myself as a rogue flyer....a danger to mankind[8D]
Old 10-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Toad

Bennet Field (TOC fame flying site) Has two spots of grass, not big enough. but right accross the fence is a 5 soccor field complex, huge amount of grass, plenty for races, combat and the regular mayhem. We used it for heli events in the past.
Safe. Also, there are several sod farms in the area, I fly on a sod farm, all it takes is permission. They make great 1/2a sites
Old 10-27-2006, 08:49 PM
rainedave

Has anyone ever been hassled by airport security for carrying r/c stuff onto a plane? It's not hard to imagine it being misinterpreted as threatening objects.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:40 PM
vicman

Dave, Recall DieFlugiesters case racer? He carried it on. That was the third time I am aware of him doing that.

I just got back from the Revvers II where I packed an Aero Ace and didn't have any problems.

*Rogue Guys at a Rogue field = Great day!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60080.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	549620  
Old 10-27-2006, 10:40 PM
combatpigg

I think the best way to go is to ship your stuff to a friend near your destination. In the case of having nobody to ship to, maybe an outfit like Greyhound or UPS can store the goods for a few days at a reasonable rate?

VIC, that place is so big, we could fly full scale combat there! Let's talk about a design. It might even be cheaper to pick up a couple of used ultralights than try to keep up with RC? We'll tow 100 foot lengths of crime scene tape and throw empty bottles at each other [8D]
Old 10-28-2006, 02:10 AM
Sneasle

speaking of combat..

three of these available and woudl make for an interesting afternoon.

not sure of what they actually are, but they look nice and simple..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3213&rd=1&rd=1
Old 10-28-2006, 06:58 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I think the best way to go is to ship your stuff to a friend near your destination. In the case of having nobody to ship to, maybe an outfit like Greyhound or UPS can store the goods for a few days at a reasonable rate?

VIC, that place is so big, we could fly full scale combat there! Let's talk about a design. It might even be cheaper to pick up a couple of used ultralights than try to keep up with RC? We'll tow 100 foot lengths of crime scene tape and throw empty bottles at each other [8D]
Hahaha I want in on that!!!
So how important is a throttle on a combat plane? If its 1/2a arent you on all the time? I have a .061 AME I've never started...funny little muffler on it...course I have the CS and the VA I've never started either...Rog
Old 10-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

IMHO a throttle on a 1/2A combat plane is like . . . . well, you know.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:21 AM
eroc144

ORIGINAL: rainedave
Has anyone ever been hassled by airport security for carrying r/c stuff onto a plane? It's not hard to imagine it being misinterpreted as threatening objects.
I'v taken my stuff cross country a couple of times without a major incident, although I was pretty nervous the first few times since there was bound to be nitro residue on the engines. I've gotten a few funny stares, and there were a few TSA agents who "got it" and wanted to know more about the types of planes, motors, radios, arfs, etc.

EG