Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox control line

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 01:06 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cox control line

lots of these on ebay, has anyone taken an old plastic cox plane put servos on it and flown it rc like?can it be done? too twitchy,too heavy.,just curious......Rog
Dickeybird fi anybody would try this, it would be you...
Old 01-19-2003, 01:32 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cox control line

Most Cox RTF were the proverbial rock on a string. Since they didn't have enough power to haul the plastic there isn't much hope of putting any rc in them and flying them either. Besides the aerodynamic of their wings would be terrible ,no airfoil and basically an undercambered piece or plastic..
Cox RTF, and Wen Mac,Comet,Auroura,K&B etc, did more to discourage youngsters from this hobby then any other form of available ready to fly planes. They looked wonderful but delivered very little in flying fun.
Besides you would need to get ailerons on them, bigger tail surfaces. And then just think of what some of those old Cox items are selling for. It's enough to make me cringe at the thought of crashing that much loot.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:11 AM
ZB50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch!!!

Dennis,

I agree about the aerodynamics of the Cox CL planes you describe to some extent, however, I think the Cox RTF planes actually helped get alot of us addicted to powered models. I can only speak for myself. As a young kid, I lived in a town with no hobby shop or active as far as I know model fliers. There was a photo shop in town, (Talladega), that most always had a Cox plane in the window. For me, this was my only connection to models. I can't begin to guess how many of those plastic planes I "Dorked", but I learned many valuable lessons from them, some still in use today!!

Also worth mentioning,,,, I still have many "bones" (engine parts from the planes I owned.

Jimmy
Old 01-19-2003, 03:14 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cox control line

I thought as much but I am sure someone has tried anyway,, yeah I know about the $ situation, I remember as a kid I got a green p-51 mustang with 3 books of s & h green stamps, hahaha remember those, I think the plane at k-mart was actually $9.99, and I never did get that thing to run.......I had 2 cox dunebuggys (cring at thoe e-bay prices too ,I saw one go for $162 ouch) so I knew the engines and how to start them but not that mustang.. anybody else?...........Rog
Old 01-19-2003, 03:20 AM
ZB50

Default Mustang

Hi Rog,

Funny you mention the green mustang not starting. My brother and I got one and had a heck of a time with it and finally discovered that the fuel line from the tank, (molded in the fuselage if I remember correctly), was kinked and prohibiting free flow. This is one of the lessons I still remember from the good old days.

Jimmy

Do any of you guys remember the "Blip throttle version"????
Old 01-19-2003, 04:23 AM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Default Cox control line

I've had most of the Cox planes and cars, all of them worked and ran great. They may have not been very stunt-able, but they flew. My favorite flying Cox plane was the Messerschmitt Stunter(I think it was called) foam symmetrical wing, flew real good! I don't remember much about it, it was around 1976! That one would be the only possible R/C conversion that might work, but more trouble that it's worth. Better yet, get an old Cox motor, and one of the Ace Simple series planes, the S400 works great, even though it's designed for electric power,and flies fast too!
Old 01-19-2003, 06:06 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Default my first too...

Yup,

I did RC cars first, but my first plane was a red Cox .049 C/L plane. I don't have any idea now which one it was, it was plastic and looked like some kind of Extra 300 maybe???

It flew, but I spent more time trying to get it to free fly than I did spinning in circles with it, never could get into the circles...

Then, after not being able to get it to fly straight F/F style, my RC car buddy and I took out the engine and made one of those glow powered prop boats. It was cool, just used plywood that we painted a hundred times to make it water proof and used the servos and Rx from the car for a rudder.

And then, as with most of my early models, it was blown up in a fit of youth angst...

Bummer, wish I had that engine now....

Rog, if your wanting to try a RC conversion, maybe try one of those Guillows stick and tissue kits, they have really nice planes to choose from, they are super fun and easy to build, light as a feather, and some of them are pretty big. I've got a handfull of those kicking around.

It's the great poor mans flyer, I made them when I was super broke in college...

-theprole-
Old 01-19-2003, 06:47 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Default is this it

hey Duane...

Is this the Cox with foam wings you were talking about???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=34054

Was just there, saw it and had to bring it over for you guys to check out....

-theprole-
Old 01-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Default Cox control line

Wow, that's neat! But that was not the one, this one was still plastic, other than the wings. A buddy owned it, and eventually stuffed it into the ground after a loop. It was around $30.00, and all the others were around $15.00, so it was out of my price range! Funny, I only had that one friend that could fly control line, all the others only made about 3 laps before crashing.