Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

How many use surgical tubing?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

How many use surgical tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many use surgical tubing?

I can't recall ever using anything but surgical tubing for 1/2A fuel lines. I started using it because it pinches off so easily in engine shut-off timers (FF gear). I really don't like that small blue tubing that GP sells, in fact, I hate it. Surgical tubing never comes off a carb or tank unless you really pull on it. It's also a lot more flexible, and I think the smaller ID makes for better fuel draw. So, who else, besides me, uses it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18035.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	569662  
Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: How many use surgical tubing?

It's nice stuff but the oil or nitro in the fuel attacks it. It's only good for a few weeks to a month or so then it's gummy and sticky on the inside. But if you have a cheap source of it and can get at all the fuel tank connections then sure. It's great stuff. LIke you I use it for my free flight models with the timers.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:21 PM
rainedave

Yep, one place in particular you have to check is inside Cox Reed tanks, if you use it there.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:58 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use this fuel tubing on my 1/2A engines, made by Briggs and Stratton. Very small bore, seems to be a cross between silicone and neoprene, but unaffected ( so far ) by diesel fuel. I buy it from my local lawn mower shop, it comes in 2 diameters, small and very small! Ideal for tiny spray bars. Shown here used on an .049 reed and a DC Merlin .049 diesel.........John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19230.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	569766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60720.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	569767  
Old 12-01-2006, 02:12 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use medium silicone, or the Sullivan 1/2A tubing. Surgical tubing isn't an option for me as I have a hypersensitivity to Latex, as bizarre as that seems.

Vauxhall,
I think that tubing you're using is Tygon.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:24 AM
vauxhall

I don't know if its called Tygon, just comes out of a Briggs and Stratton box.........good stuff, the tube on the diesel has had over 12 months use and its still like new. I'm going to start using the bigger tube on my large engines.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten fuel tubing for the diesels from Eric Clutton. Not nearly as flexible as other options but holds up over the long times between uses that my little engines seem to get. But I will drop into my friendly local lawn mower repair facility and see what they have to offer. Thanks for the tip.

I do have some of the surgical tubing from Kittingittogether that I use sometimes for TD .010 and .020 connections but frankly, for that specific application and inside reedie tanks, I prefer the Cox-ish stuff that turns to stone when "activated" by fuel. If I get a good connection the first time, it tends to stay put better'n anything else over time and rough handling.

But remember, this is just my opinion and the only two things I'm really an expert at are; women, money, and politics . . . no wait there's more . . . PM me for the complete list.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I have a hypersensitivity to Latex,
I can't get my wife into the stuff either[sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=what_smile.gif].

Actually being rather new to the little motors I just picked up some of this tubing from LD and am waiting for the right time to try it. I just need the right model to start working on for the next RR.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:11 AM
SGC

If you know any turbine guys ask them for the tubeing that comes with the Saline IV bags they use for fuel tanks. This clear tubeing varies in dia over its length and the smaller dia is ok for our small motors, seems to stand up to both glow and diesel fuel.
Stewart
Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Bipe Flyer

Stewart, I think that stuff is PVC.

PVC

TYGON
Old 12-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used surgical tubing on freeflights and on 1/2A CL TD mouse racers with shut-offs. If you use it for one day and then slosh it around in lacquer thinner and let it dry out, it will last a long time. However, best to regularly replace regardless. The tubing from the hardware store is for gas for lawnmowers. etc. What I have tried gets hard with use.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:01 PM
SGC

Bipe,
You maybe correct , but it sems more resistant to diesel fuel than the common hardware store type, maybe its a more stable plastic so it wont react to medications put into the IV.
Stewart
Old 12-01-2006, 08:55 PM
rainedave

I have some of that IV tubing that has had glow fuel pooled inside it for 14 years and shows no sign of damage. What I don't like about the type I have is that it's stiff and kinks very easily. That's why hospital use it. They actually want it to kink and set off the IV alarm rather than compress slightly and allow a lesser amount of fluid pass through. It's either working 100% or not at all. Either/or situations are easier for medical technicians to catch and correct.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Wayne C

Local hardware store here sells tygon. I like it.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:56 AM
injunnut1

Hello John,
Could you please tell me the Outside Diameter of the small 'Briggs & Stratton' fuel line as per your postings? THANKS Much!!!!

Donald Garry
__________________________________________________ __________________________

Above request in reply your post as follows:

'I buy it from my local lawn mower shop, it comes in 2 diameters, small and very small! Ideal for tiny spray bars. Shown here used on an .049 reed and a DC Merlin .049 diesel.........John'
Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 AM
vauxhall

Hi Donald, I can't find my verniers, just used a steel ruler to approx. measurement....OD 1/8", ID 1/16". Next time I pass by the mower shop I'll see if I can get a part number off the Briggs & Stratton box for you.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:21 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1/2" od x 1/8" id stuff makes a great coupling for small boats.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: rainedave

I can't recall ever using anything but surgical tubing for 1/2A fuel lines. I started using it because it pinches off so easily in engine shut-off timers (FF gear). I really don't like that small blue tubing that GP sells, in fact, I hate it. Surgical tubing never comes off a carb or tank unless you really pull on it. It's also a lot more flexible, and I think the smaller ID makes for better fuel draw. So, who else, besides me, uses it?
I'm often with you and I use it a lot. Much of that use is in CL Combat where the small 1/8" OD surgical is good for both the fuel line on 1/2As and the fuel shutoff line on larger iron.

For 1/2A Combat ( in addition to the reasons you list ) I like it because it is very easy to pinch off and that is an important consideration for the fuel line on bladders. For flyaway shutoffs the same applies, it is easily pinched by a spring loaded shutoff.

On the downside - it ages and fuel speeds the aging. Every year I seem to put aside a plane or engine with surgical still on the needle that turns into a gooey mess before I discover my negligence.

And ... of course, surgical makes great bladders and bladders solve fuel flow problems.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:17 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Bipe, latex allergy isn't all that uncommon. A few years back when I went to a medical lab to have some blood samples taken there was a sign in the waiting room that asked patients to declare if they were allergic to latex. I asked about that and they said about one in 1000 or so was that way and that they have one room where there's no latex at all. Just nitrile or other sorts of things.

Tygon used to be clear. I think Dubro got hold of the yellow stuff to help with product recognition. Used it as a kid.

Latex is OK for short exposure to glow but never use any natural rubber products around diesel fuel or gas. It'll dissolve. And before anyone says anything neoprene rubber isn't natural stuff and that's why gas lines can be made from it.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:28 AM
rrragmanliam

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer
I use medium silicone, or the Sullivan 1/2A tubing.
Ditto on the Sullivan tubing. It's good stuff, flexable enough to use in tanks but not too flexable like the IV tubing. Sig also sells a similar product, heck it's probably the same stuff Sullivan is packaging.

Darren
Old 12-04-2006, 07:15 AM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run boats that use lots of plumbing due to twin saddle tanks and hopper tanks before the carb, but I only use it just betweent the carb and the hopper so I can pinch the fuel off - It simply can't be beat for that application.

If it wasn't for the surgical tubing there I would have to run a large loop of the regular "hard" stuff and kink the loop or use hemostats, which I don't like to use due to it being another extra tool to fumble with plus its hard on the tubing.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Bipe, latex allergy isn't all that uncommon. A few years back when I went to a medical lab to have some blood samples taken there was a sign in the waiting room that asked patients to declare if they were allergic to latex. I asked about that and they said about one in 1000 or so was that way and that they have one room where there's no latex at all. Just nitrile or other sorts of things.
I have to notify a doctor or dentist before they put on their gloves. It isn't too bad yet, my skin burns for a couple of days if I touch any latex. It's an accumulative effect though that given enough exposure over time, can cause anaphylactic shock from just smelling it. There's a funny story relating to this and 1/2A. I cut my finger while breaking a Norvel .074 and had to go to emergency for stitches. The doctor on duty happened to be my family doctor. He couldn't wear latex gloves and the only vinyl ones were a few sizes too small for him. His hands were white inside the gloves and were obviously quite uncomfortable. He shot my finger up with freezing, waited a bit and then started stitching. I told him that the freezing hadn't taken effect and that I could feel the needle, to which he replied "Good!"[:@] My finger was fully frozen by the time I was driving home.