Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Epoxy is 1/2 gell

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:12 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Epoxy is 1/2 gell

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer
I told some guys in our club that this is what happens when you store your CA and kicker close to each other (one guy stores both in the same box), but they laughed at me.
Great post. Very valuable verbosity.
With some people, there is simply no point trying to help.. I see you've discovered this too.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:16 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: MJD
Epoxy resin data sheets often list a parameter known as peak exotherm temperature; this parameter is standardized via a specified mass of mixed adhesive and a particular curative - IIRC the parameters 500 grams of mixed material using DETA (diethylene triamine) curative; it's been a while since I dealt with this.
Forgot to mention in all my babbling - the peak exotherm temperature can actually hit 500 degrees F.. and I've seen it happen to a couple of people trying to mix a huge batch of epoxy for some job they were up to. Shock and surprise as it started to hiss, pop, turn black, smoke, etc.. oh yeah, and talk about stink! Yech.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MJD;

"Go buy some new stuff."

O.K. then, THATS what you are saying! LOL!!

Thanks for the data, I'll give the stuff I have here a test to see how well it still works, if it shows major signs of age it will get replaced.

Very much in the know there, MJD.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:18 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Jeez...a couple months ago I threw out a full bottle of Tower 30 min. (I think it was the resin...musta been, right? )
It had never been opened...still had the red cap-plug in the top of the bottle.
It got hard and turned a whitish color.
Shucks!

I recently found some Devcon 5 minute that's 20+ years old (hiding under my bench ) and still looks o.k. but I don't think I'd use it on anything important.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: proptop

Jeez...a couple months ago I threw out a full bottle of Tower 30 min. (I think it was the resin...musta been, right? )
It had never been opened...still had the red cap-plug in the top of the bottle.
It got hard and turned a whitish color.
Shucks!

I recently found some Devcon 5 minute that's 20+ years old (hiding under my bench ) and still looks o.k. but I don't think I'd use it on anything important.
Sounds exactly like crystallized resin. Chances are it would have recovered fine. We have a gallon jug of laminating resin here that turned hard and milky white over the last couple of months of storage. Overnight in the lab oven at 120F, it's good to go now.

Would you use Devcon 5 minute on anything important anyway?... Just kidding, of course. Actually, if it looks the same as it once did, and the viscosity seems right, it's probably okay. Test some for S&G*, you might be surprised.

MJD

* rhymes with "kits and wiggles"

Old 12-08-2006, 01:50 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

"Kits & Wiggles"

I used to use a LOT of 5 minute epoxy...after I "discovered" it in the mid 70's.
Before that I used Hobby Poxy (I think it was 1? with the 2:1 ratio? ) and that took a couple of hours to really set-up good.
That was a LONG time for a 14-15 year old!

Funny story...
One night, at our club meeting, an older member (great builder! ) and I were checking out this FNG's* plane...
Len (the older guy ) sez "his glues are all soft!"
Later...I go over to the new guys house to help him build his 2nd plane...
I squeeze out some 5 min. from the double syringe and start mixing it...
He looks at me funny and sez "you're supposed to MIX it?!"

*Freekin' New Guy

Edit: I liked the explanation of how epoxy "works" too BTW...thanks [8D]