Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Can you start a Blackwidow with a starter?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Can you start a Blackwidow with a starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 10:29 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you start a Blackwidow with a starter?

I have a cox blackwidow without the spring on it. Can I use my started with it that I use for 40 and 60 size planes without hurting the motor?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:29 PM
skypupmut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good fuel hot battery and good compression they usually start very easily by hand place Yr finger close to the hup when flipping usually a couple of flips will do it same for norvel .061
Old 01-25-2003, 05:10 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Default he's right, but...

Hey Ryan,

Skypup is right, seems like the 1/2a's really hate a unfresh battery, and so long as you get the right amount of prime, a good plug with a good 1.5V across it it will lite right up with a good firm toss.

But...

Most guys around here use either a dedicated 1/2a type starter or a regular 12V one with little to no trouble. I just heard about a insert for a regular starter that will enable you to use the little spinners that come with our engines.

You just have to be careful of one thing!!!!!

If you have to much prime in the engine, you'll crack the rod. Seriously, you know how if it doesn't start after a few tries it will kind of lock up. Well if it locks up like that and you hit it with an electric starter you're liable to break it.

Hope this helps.

As Always,
T-theprole-
Old 01-31-2003, 05:46 AM
Grampaw

Hey Ryan...

Joe Beshar, I believe, had an article a while back on how to
build your own 1/2A starter. It was much like a commercially made starter I had for my Medallions back in the early 70s. I sure started them up with no sweat. You might try e-mailing Joe with a query if you're interested. His e-mail address is listed in AMA Model Aviation magazine.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:14 AM
Will Sgarlat

Ryan,
Yep, by hand is usually the best as the guys say above. Grampaw mentioned the Joe Beshar starter article and I built one and it works great, so long as the prime is right and the glow battery is fresh.
Will
Old 02-01-2003, 06:49 AM
Grampaw

Hey Will...
Do you remember what issue Joe's article about the 1/2A starter was in? I want to find it but if you know the issue it would save me a lot of time pulling mags out of the cabinet. I've got the 1/2A bug again, and I may need a starter myself.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:40 AM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

I heard this a while back in this forum:

If you are going to use an electric starter, get it up to speed and release the switch. Then bump the engine. The momentum of the starter should be enough to turn the engine over several times but it won't damage the engine if it does get flooded.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:11 AM
Will Sgarlat

Hi grampaw,
I sure don't remember, Sorry!! It might be in the 1998 or 1999 issues of Model Airplane News.
Will