Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.
View Poll Results: A poll
Cox 5x4 Black prop Need now
2.67%
Cox 5x4 Black prop Future use
6.67%
Cox 5x3 Black Prop Need Now
6.67%
Cox 5x3 Black Prop Future Use
8.00%
Cox 6x3 Black prop Need Now
8.00%
Cox 6x3 Black Prop Future Use
8.00%
Cox TD 049/051 Carb Body
12.00%
Cox TD 010 Carb Body
2.67%
Cox TD 020 Carb Body
6.67%
Cox 5x3 Grey Prop Need Now
9.33%
Cox 5x3 Grey Prop Future Use
5.33%
Cox 5x4 Grey Prop Need Now
2.67%
Cox 5x4 Grey Prop Future Use
4.00%
Cox 6x3 Grey Prop Need Now
8.00%
Cox 6x3 Grey Prop Future Use
9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Cox Parts Poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:27 PM
small_rcer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cox Parts Poll

Good Day All:

I am trying to guage interest in, or the need for Cox parts. In each case indicate if you need a part for repair of a current broken item or need for regular use and as spare parts against futre breakage.

Note that The Carb Bodies have not need now versus future use as most owners of TD need some and want some for future spares.

I am not sure of the sizes of the props needed for 010 or 020. Some 3 bladed are still on Cox site for 020 and 2 bladed for 010. What do people using these engines do for props?

NOTE!!! Multiple selections allowed.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:33 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cox Parts Poll

Some of the black props are available, and the 010 carb body in black is also. I have them on the shelf. The grey ones are, Long Gone.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:36 AM
hfenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cox gray 7X3.5
Old 12-14-2006, 10:13 AM
flyinrog

Maybe glow heads?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

I'd just like to keep my little TD .010 and .020s running - and since I almost never crash - maybe a hard landing now and then - glow heads and little props are all I need ("plus this lamp and this chair" from one of my favorite movies).
Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Raymond,

Lemme guess - "The Jerk" - and you are quoting the Steve Martin character Navin R. Johnson?

Regarding Cox parts:

I don't think there is any shortage of Cox engine parts. It is only a matter of how long you have to go wandering about before you find what you need. Cox made something like 65 million engines total. Unlike most other makes of engines, Cox engines and parts were sold both by hobby shops and by general stores that carried toys in many smaller towns. There are also many "collectors" who have picked up old Cox parts when they have found them cheap and these guys often have more than a lifetime supply. I am intimately familiar with one such case ;^)

There are still many little pockets of old Cox parts just waiting to be found.

Arlen
Old 12-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, Silvaire it was "The Jerk". For some reason I really identify with that movie. Maybe its because I have the same problem with my rhythm as a child - only I never got any better.

Oh I forgot about his "special purpose" and the "special" job! That just killed me!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:39 PM
MJD

.020 - 4.5x2 2 blade. The 3 blade is of little interest.
.010 - 3x1.25

For .020's you can run the APC 4.2x2.

For .010's there are no acceptable alternatives to the Cox prop, everything else is too bulky and too much load for the poor thing.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:02 PM
DanCarey

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Maybe glow heads?
You dont need glow heads, just drill out the old one tap the hole and replace it with a standard glow plug.
Worked for years with me with no probs, just change the glow plug now and then.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Dan Dan Dan,

For shame...sure you can drill and tap an old plug for a regular glow plug.....but you'll lose lots of rpm! Been done a million times.

LAter,
Tim
Old 12-14-2006, 09:03 PM
digital_trucker

How about having one machined and tapped for a galbreath plug?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:20 AM
cortacesped

I hate to make a Worldwide search for a TD .049 carburetor body !!! but I love to hear´em screamin´!!!

Regards
Claudio
Old 12-15-2006, 09:50 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: DanCarey

You dont need glow heads, just drill out the old one tap the hole and replace it with a standard glow plug.
Worked for years with me with no probs, just change the glow plug now and then.
Doesn't work worth beans on .010's or .020's, and on .049's this typically results in a performance loss. Proper glow heads are needed, otherwise at some point there will be a lot of tiny Cox engines sitting dormant on shelves with wistful owners pining for the days they could get 'em.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Jim Thomerson

The Cox grey 7 x 3.5 is a needed item as is the grey 8 x 4. I'd immediately pop for a half dozen 7 x 3.5's. Fixed on 8 x 4's at the moment.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:37 PM
digital_trucker

Give graupner a try, they always performed well for me.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/grprop.htm
Old 12-15-2006, 02:34 PM
rrragmanliam

ORIGINAL: cortacesped
I hate to make a Worldwide search for a TD .049 carburetor body
Regards
Claudio
Most of the time if the body is just cracked, all you have to do is use a little silicone when you assemble the venturi. The engine will run fine. I have new .010, .020, and .049 carb bodies that I haven't even used as I've been able to keep the old cracked ones going.

Darren
Old 12-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

small rcer,

You weren't specific as to why you started this thread. There were only so many Cox parts originally made. You wern't thinking of going into the Cox parts manufacturing business were you??

I just had some thoughts regarding the Cox parts already out there though...

Having a "Cox parts trading post" might be a way to get some of the Cox parts out there to those who need them. I have many Cox parts - many that are surplus to my needs - but it's NOT worth my time to sell individual parts for the few dollars they bring. (I have found that I have spent more in time selling a few Cox parts than I would have earned doing some actual work.) On the other hand, if I actually NEED some particular part, I somehow find that it IS worth my time and effort to search eBay or the like looking for that elusive item. I (and many "collectors" I know) are always out there looking and are willing to purchase old Cox parts when I find them at bargain prices.

Having some sort of a Cox parts trading post and limiting it to TRADES ONLY (and not cash sales) would reduce the number of "parts hoarders" and "resellers" trolling such a site for under priced items. If you need something, then offer somthing you have extra of. Hopefully you will stike a deal that will leave both parties better off.

I'm not sure if such an idea would be feasable, but it would certainly fill a need. Do you guys think a "Cox parts trading post" has possibilities? Perhaps posting Cox trade offers in the RCU Marketplace (and then noting it on a sticky here in the 1/2A forum) might work? Making the trades within the RCU Marketplace venue would hopefully limit trades to only parties with a record of responsible transactions.

Now I've been looking for a new Dragonfly tank and a TD .15 prop screw and spinner - and I've got a new TD .049 beam mount tank, and more new grey .010 and .020 props than I'll ever use....

Arlen
Old 12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

I noticed the list did not mention the Cox Medallion line, the parts for the .049 version are getting hard to find. Ebay has them every now and then, and i do know where to get some crankcase parts sets, but it would be nice to see more of these offered somewhere.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:20 AM
small_rcer

I wish to thank everyone for their input.

My summary sees that Carb Bodies are a definite need, and 5x3 and 6x3 props are high on needs list.

Do people prefer the Cox props over the APC alternatives?? And if the Cox Gray were located are they preferred over the APC or the alternative people are using??

Thanks

Jim H