Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Radios-again

Old 12-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radios-again

[&:]

Hi guys,

I know this subject has been whipped like an old horse, but here it is again.

I need to replace my radio system, it's over 10 years old, except for the servos, Hitecs. So I go to my local hobby shop with cash in hand and come home with cash in hand.

I have a couple of hundred to spend and he showed me several radios well with-in my couple of hundred dollar range. I explaned I wanted one to use for just for 1/2a, light weight and long range. He said if it was electric he could help, but didn't have any idea for 1/2a.

Soooo my question is, if you could put a radio system together for a couple of hundred what would it be. I want to stay with a 4 channel system unless I can get more of less.

Thx.

Rick

Old 12-15-2006, 02:13 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Radios-again

First off, don't buy a 4 channel. 6 channels are only a bit more and typically have a lot more very useful features. With 1/2A stuff it is extremely useful to have dual rates and exponential. Plus, you will have memory for several models which is the best thing to come along since proportional control. The other day I flew three different 1/2A planes, each with their own settings programmed in. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have individual setups for each model you fly. Honestly, multiple model memory is an awesome feature to have.

Now, here's the one I own that I got for $149.99 at my LHS. The Futaba 6EXA. It is extremely easy to program and stores six different models. The dual rates and exponential are priceless features for our small, sometimes squirrelly, 1/2A planes.

Here's one with a micro rx and three micro servos:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXKAJ1**&P=0
Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I definetly agree with the idea of getting one with a prgramable set of features. It makes things real easy to set up deltas and flying wings as well as anything else. Having 6 channels also makes it easy to set up for dual aileron servos so you can play with flaperons or coupled flap to elevator functions while still retaining the aileron function. And the multiple model settings memories makes it easy to switch from one to the other.

And an "electric" package just means that you get one less servo and no airborne battery pack since they expect you to use an ESC and get the power from the ESC. So that's the way to go since it comes with smaller servos and reciever typically.

You can easily add an extra servo from your collection or any number of online suppliers and a couple of cheap airborne packs are just a link away at www.cheapbatterypacks.com . I've ordered from CBP's a couple of times now and they were fast and accurate.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:47 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote by Rick:
"He said if it was electric he could help, but didn't have any idea for 1/2a."

Don't feel bad, At my LHS They can't help if 1/2 A OR electric... unless it is one of the RTF helicopters.

I rarely have that much to spend for an upgrade myself but when I did find myself desperatly needing to upgrade I quickly found that I would not be happy till I had a 6 channel radio. The 4 channel jobs are just too featurless.
I was primarily after mixing function for V-tails and flying wings. After all the after market mixers usually run $25-$30. Ouch!

I wound up with a Futaba 6EXA programmable that was practically like new till I cycled the 600 mah battery. I got a brand new 2300 mah pack to replace it off 8bay for under $ brought to my door. The TX was $75.00 delivered. I bought it from one of the guys on the groups.
I had heard there were good deals there but I had to research a lot so i knew what was what. It was a headache for sure so I know why you ask.

Still I hate to reccomend a specfic radio because of personal tastes and preferences plus there is such a large variety to choose from. I just know what made me happy!

I hope what I have said here helps somehow.good luck, Robert
Old 12-15-2006, 03:47 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Sounds like most of us have the same radio. Great minds think alike.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

PT, what great minds were you referring to? Did I miss something?

Here's my dos centavos (I'm trying to get "correct"); Yes, computer radio. Hitec, Futaba, or JR. all OK. I replaced my Hitec systems(with Futabas) because the model name does not show on the screen - making it too easy for me to launch with the wrong model in "core". Futaba offers expandable model memory (Vic has 128 I believe). But I'm not sure what xmtrs offer this option. I've never owned any JR equipment so I can't comment - but it brings me to my second centavo; its a good idea to find out what is most popular at your club - or what the LHS stocks. This becomes an issue if you want/need something compatible quick. HItec anf Futaba are all switchable. JR not always so much.

But if I were in the market for a long term system I'd strongly look at the Spectra DX or whatever it is that is frequency free. They offer a small-ish receiver and I'm sure there's gonna be more options in the near future. Either that system will make everything else obsolete real quick - or fizzle for some reason nobody's thought of yet (my humble opinion). So you could be the first kid on your block . . . etc.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:03 PM
dieFluggeister

I know everyone has their own opinion but I went with the Hitec Opitc 6 last year. Sure there are radios out there with more channels but for 1/2A, six is usually enough plus it has a full range of features. The deciding vote in my mind was the Spectra module that allowed my to fly any channel and any shift which helped at the field when the freq. board got crowded. RCU lets you compare radios in the "Compare Products" section so you may want to research there.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...dex-radios.cfm

Ray is right in that this new Spectra DX (not the same as the Hitec Spectra module) shows some promise but it is just now hitting the fields for real world application. It may very well make traditional radios and frequencies obsolete, but I guess I dont know what it offeres for mixing and progamming features. Might give it a serious look before you buy.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:49 AM
eroc144

If you're flying exclusively 1/2a then I'd go with the Spektrum DX6. List price is $200 and you can get them NIB for $160 - $180 on ebay. I just wrapped up my first complete flying seasons with it and came away very impressed. I'd been having interference issues with my FM channel - all gone with the Spektrum. The DX6 has been out for 2 years, and Spektrum just released the DX7 for full-sized planes showing both their and the market's confidence in the technology. Some features to ponder:

Comes with 4 micro servos, receiver, transmitter charger.
10 model memory with 3 digit model name display.
Exponential, mixing, dual rates, adj throws.
Receiver weighs 7 grams. That's seven, as in one more than 6, one less than 8.
Range is around 3000'. Since no one's eyes are good enough to fly 1/2a over half a mile away this is more than plenty.
Battery voltage display

Check out the review in RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=623

EG
Old 12-16-2006, 11:24 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a F-brand 9C for all the reasons the well seasoned Gentleman from the Raliegh area mentioned. I also went and spent the $ for a 2500mah NiMh battery and am extremely happy with that. The Hansen Hobbies memory chip was so easy Rog could install it, again very happy.
My reason for changing over to the F-brand from the two letter brand was cost and model memory. At the time the 9C was the hottest trick around. Also after my 4th flight pack I had saved enough money over JR to get a free one.

I sold 4 Txs and 8 Rxs to change over to one Tx and 132model capacity.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responce, I know this subject has been covered a lot and I appricate your info.

Heading out the door with money in hand. My local dealer will come close to mail order price so I'll keep my money in the community.

All the suggestions were good so I'll look over all the ones you suggested, if he has them in stock.

So thanks agin,

Rick
Old 12-18-2006, 03:06 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my JR 8103. I use it for all my planes - 1/2A, larger stuff and electrics. The biggest selling point for me was the fact that all settings can be backed up to my PC. That way I can use all my planes on the same TX without being limited to the 10 model memory. The day I need to take more than 10 planes to the field, I'll upgrade. Another nice feature is that the trainer cord is just a regular 3.5mm mono plug that you can buy in any department store.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:44 AM
flyinrog

I have the F brand T6XHs and its ok, but I lost a good plane to a radio hit and I saw another one go in today at the field ,not mine but a giant Kadet...am thinking of getting the spectra/seeker type Tx this year.........Rog
Old 12-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Vic,

ROG COULD INSTALL IT ???????? ROFL LMAO !!!!!!!!!! That is just too good..even for a Monday Morning... I'm sorry Roger... but that is one of the best zingers I've seen in a while.... MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!

Deadstik.....
Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Our club has Hitec/Futaba and JR buddy boxes. Yes, the cord for the JR is handy - if you have to buy a replacement. And yes, now we have to have two cords for Futaba (round and square ends), but the JR buddy box runs off its own battery (maybe the new ones don't?) and several times I have had to ask trainees to wait while fast-charging the JR box - plus we bought a new battery this Summer. I think it was just a cheaper way for the designer to provide the buddy-box capability. I don't think they did it to save the trainee money since someone has to buy and maintain two batteries.

But the reason I'm posting this, and the only reason I bring up what I consider to be a JR shortcoming (minor it may be for non-trainers), is I wonder what the Spektrum requires for buddy-boxing.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Deadstick,

Ok, I'm not hip. I think ROFL means "rolling on the floor laughing". But what is LMAO? "Laughing Modeler Almost Over-falling"?

Anyway, it was clear to me that it took Vic a while to figure out where to stick it - the memory module of course. So that's why he asked Rog for help.

(By the way, thanks for the "innards" Vic.)
Old 12-18-2006, 09:06 AM
ptulmer

Raymond, Laughing My *** Off. There's lots of those acronyms around that I don't understand. I mean, there's a freakin' dictionary that's larger than a Webster's for my job. (no joke!) Keepin' it simple on the forum.

[link=http://www.amazon.com/Newtons-Telecom-Dictionary-22nd/dp/1578203198/sr=8-1/qid=1166450583/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3958903-3247965?ie=UTF8&s=books]told ya it wasn't a joke! Click this.[/link]
Old 12-18-2006, 09:56 AM
rainedave

TTIUWP
Old 12-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Hah! I love it when I get modern. Holy guacamole, who thinks up that stuff. I cheated and I used ask.com and learned "that this thread is useless without pictures." So I guess we need a photo of Vic or Rog inserting a memory module into an opening somewhere. Well, heck I'm game - go for it guys.

In the future just think of me as OACBWTH or "old and confused but what the heck".

Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 PM
treedog

"Laugh my arse off"=LMAO By the way have u all seen the new tickle me elmo tmx? That pretty much sums up LMAO. i saw it and nearly spit soda out my nose way too funny.
[sm=lol.gif] Td OH and by the way if u need a nice standard radio without the computer part there's always the hitec laser 6. with the electron 6 receiver / Computer type, i bought the tracker 3 Works with just about any radio setup on the planet from polk's hobby
Old 12-19-2006, 10:16 AM
small_rcer

Well for the last year I have been using an 8 channel Tracker from Polks. I use their 6 channel receiver. Have flown 049s and electric and am most satisfied. Before I fly at a new field I run the built in scanner to make sure the frequencies I normally use are clean from garbage in the air. Have had to change to a clean frequency many times. It explained why some of the regular flyers at those places complained about interference on certain channels.

Attractive pricing, 99 model memory and fully synthesized channels. I also have used the same transmitter with FMA receivers and Cirrus little 4 channel as well as an Airtonic 8 channel receivers.

Being totally frequency selectable has been really useful.

My $.02

Jim H
Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A clubmate of mine has the Polk Tracker. Impressive indeed[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 PM
ptulmer

Hey guys, I was looking at the Tracker III as a post-Christmas present for myself. Can you identify individual airplanes or is it just a 1,2,3,etc like the one I've got now?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:01 AM
treedog

Cp all u do is use the + key on the pad and the letters change 1 letter at a time so yes u can identify it by name. I abbreviate all mine.
Td
Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 AM
ptulmer

Polk seems to have a great product, but they don't tell much about it on their site. You gotta guess.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:21 AM
treedog

Actually pt the site has the manual there that has all the features of the tracker and tells how to program it and save settings. Nice people there to help if u have questions
Td

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.